FPS drop after latest update (1.98.158.1020)

by 1b22c98d8e37d24c

Original Post

FPS drop after latest update (1.98.158.1020)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

I recently updated sims 4 to the latest version (1.98.158.1020), yesterday I decided to play and found a massive fps drop from 60 to 5 or 10. Sims are too slow doing their tasks. I do not know what it is connected with. Before entering the game, I updated all mods, launched the game without mods, FPS still fell. Also pause works with slowdown or don't work at all/.

Message 1 of 6 (351 Views)

Re: FPS drop after latest update (1.98.158.1020)

@1b22c98d8e37d24c  Does this fps drop happen at all times, in all worlds, and in all saves?  If not, if it's more limited in scope, please let me know how, for example you see it in world X but not Y or only when the eco footprint is green.  And please do test in a new save, just for reference.

Please also run a dxdiag and attach it to a post.

https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/pc/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information/

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 6 (312 Views)

★★ Novice

@puzzlezaddict Yeah, it happens all the time, in all world and saves. I did test in a new save and it didn't solve the problem

Message 3 of 6 (291 Views)

@1b22c98d8e37d24c  I don't see any obvious problems in your dxdiag, but with only 6 GB RAM installed, Sims 4 might be running out of memory, or close to it.  Please load a new save, to keep things simple, and let the game clock run for a few sim-minutes in live mode.  Put Sims 4 into windowed mode, but don't minimize it.  Bring up the Task Manager, specifically the Processes tab, in detailed mode, and use Windows key-shift-S to take a screenshot of what you see.  Then post the screenshot here.

Please do this test immediately after restarting your computer, and with nothing open except Sims 4 and the EA App.

Message 4 of 6 (269 Views)

★★ Novice

@puzzlezaddict i still tnink the latest update is the reason of fps drop. i heard the same problem with other players, but everything was solved with ESC. (it doesn't help me) btw this fps drop is not the first and often happens after update and maybe it will go away after the release of the new expansion pack, but i can't be sure. 
i just wanted to make sure that the problem isn't in my laptop and maybe there are a solution.

Message 5 of 6 (260 Views)

@1b22c98d8e37d24c  Sims 4 has had a problem with random fps drops for years now.  These can happen on any computer, even one with overpowered hardware that isn't being fully utilized.  Clicking the esc key helps some players, but not everyone.

Separately, I've noticed that after the update that was released alongside Growing Together, Sims 4 seems to respond badly to situations where the computer is almost out of memory.  This is new and different—it used to be that a lower-end computer with 4 GB RAM would still run the game okay, maybe not perfectly but definitely not with the serious performance issues I'm seeing now.

What I see now is that if a computer's main memory (RAM, not the page file) is almost all in use, Sims 4 can slow to a crawl, with low fps and delays in responding to clicks and sims standing around instead of following commands.  This is true even on computers with 8 GB installed memory, which should be enough for the system to manage its resources effectively.

In your case, I would try playing in a clean boot, not because I think the problem is some other program running alongside Sims 4 but because this is the way to free up the most RAM for the game itself.  The idea is to get to a point where your system memory is under 90% used even while you're playing.  If you notice more fps drops even without memory use close to maxed out, then it's a different problem.  If the game runs fine until RAM use goes over 90%, or 95%, or whatever the value is, you'll know that's the issue.

Here's how to do a clean boot:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows-da2f9573-6eec-00ad-...

The one service to leave enabled is the EABackgroundService, which the EA App needs in order to run.  Disable the rest as described.

When you reboot your computer, go through the Task Manager's background processes list shutting down any service that doesn't absolutely need to be running, for example anything from MSI Afterburner to RGB software might still be enabled.  If you accidentally kill a critical process and it doesn't restart on its own, just reboot your computer again.

If you can, I would suggest putting the EA App in offline mode before launching Sims 4 as well.  Sometimes the App doesn't like this, so don't worry if it doesn't work for you.  But if it does, that would help because it reduces the App's RAM use as well.

Message 6 of 6 (255 Views)