by AlleyCatBonbon

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Build Mode Causing Computer Crash

★ Novice

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What is your current game version number? 1.98.158.1020
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? Sims 4 Digital Deluxe Edition, Growing Together, High School Years, Cottage Living, Cats & Dogs, Seasons, City Living, Get To Work, Get Famous, Island Living, Discover University, Get Together, Snowy Escape, Eco Lifestyle, Werewolves, Vampires, Realm of Magic, My Wedding Stories, Dream Home Decorator, Parenthood, Dine Out, Spa Day, Outdoor Retreat, StrangerVille, Jungle Adventure, Moschino Stuff, Tiny Living, Laundry Day, Vintage Glamour, Cool Kitchen Stuff, Backyard, My First Pet, Perfect Patio, Toddler Stuff, Movie Hangout, Fitness Stuff, Bowling Night, Romantic Garden, Spooky, Luxury Party, Paranormal, Nifty Knitting, Kids Room, Book Nook, Greenhouse Haven, Bathroom Clutter, Simtimates Collection, Everday Clutter, Desert Luxe, Decor to the Max, Blooming Rooms, Industrial Loft, Courtyard Oasis, Incheon Arrivals, Country Kitchen, Carnaval Streetwear, Fashion Street, Little Campers
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Entering Build Mode on any lot within Brindleton Bay and Windenburg.
What happens when the bug occurs? My whole computer shuts down.
What do you expect to see? A few seconds after loading into build mode my screen turns black and my computer starts running really loud. I have to force shut down manually.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Not now. I've removed them.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Yes
Please describe the patch or change you made. The last patch.

I had mccc downloaded to change sims ages in a new save. Have since uninstalled the mod (no other mods are installed) and deleted the save file, as well as repairing my game afterwards through the EA game app. The only worlds i have played in my new save (no other saves currently) are San Myshuno, Britechester, and San Sequoia.

I have an Omen computer and have completely reset it. There are no other games installed.

Message 1 of 6 (434 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Build Mode Causing Computer Crash

@AlleyCatBonbon  Please test in a clean user folder.  Move the entire Sims 4 folder out of Documents > Electronic Arts and onto your desktop, and when you launch the game, a clean folder will spawn with no content.  (Your saves and other content will be intact in the folder you moved but temporarily not read by the game.)  Don't add anything to the new folder yet; just start a new save and see whether entering build mode causes a crash in those worlds.  And please test a few more worlds as well.

If you do get another crash, please run a dxdiag and attach it to a post.

https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/pc/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information/

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.

View in thread

Message 2 of 6 (402 Views)

All Replies

@AlleyCatBonbon  Please test in a clean user folder.  Move the entire Sims 4 folder out of Documents > Electronic Arts and onto your desktop, and when you launch the game, a clean folder will spawn with no content.  (Your saves and other content will be intact in the folder you moved but temporarily not read by the game.)  Don't add anything to the new folder yet; just start a new save and see whether entering build mode causes a crash in those worlds.  And please test a few more worlds as well.

If you do get another crash, please run a dxdiag and attach it to a post.

https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/pc/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information/

Message 2 of 6 (403 Views)

★ Novice

Creating the new folder I believe fixed the issue, but I also ran the dxdiag and attached it.

Message 3 of 6 (364 Views)

@AlleyCatBonbon  I'm glad that the new folder helped, but your dxdiag lists a number of Windows update errors and a few serious crashes of the graphics driver.  If you'd like to address these problems, which I think is a good idea (and sooner rather than later), start with a couple of basic checks of your Windows system files:

• Hit Windows key-X
  • Choose either “PowerShell (Administrator)” or “Windows Terminal (Administrator),” whichever option is offered
  • Inside the window that appears, copy and paste “DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth” without quotes, and enter
  • The system will start validating soon. If it throws an error, please list it here
  • After it reaches 100%, hit Windows key-X again
  • Again, choose “PowerShell (Administrator)” or “Windows Terminal (Administrator)”
  • Inside the window, copy and paste “sfc /scannow” without quotes, and enter
  • Post the message you receive here

Restart your computer, hit Windows key-i, select Update & Security, and click the box to check for updates.  If any install, restart again afterwards.

Finally, do a clean uninstall and reinstall of the Nvidia graphics driver, as described here:

https://crinrict.com/blog/2019/02/clean-re-install-of-graphics-drivers-with-display-driver-uninstall...

Restart your computer after installing the new driver and before trying to play.

Message 4 of 6 (348 Views)

★ Novice

I ran the Terminal (Admin) - no errors

I uninstalled and then reinstalled the graphics card then reran the dxdiag.

I'm having a few different bugs now - in the apartment my sims cant sleep even after getting the neighbor to stop making noise

Message 5 of 6 (318 Views)

@AlleyCatBonbon  Your new dxdiag doesn't show any new errors related to the graphics driver, which is obviously a good thing.  There are a number of crashes of a component of DTS Audio Service, which is apparently a service that comes pre-installed on many if not most HP computers.  If you're still getting crashes, it's worth disabling the service as a test.  The simple approach is to kill it in the Task Manager, then run Sims 4 without first restarting your computer.

If that doesn't help, hit Windows key-R, enter "msconfig" without quotes, find any DTS entries on the list, uncheck the boxes next to them, and restart your computer.  This should prevent the services from running at all.  You can reverse it later if you want.

For the apartment issue, that's an in-game problem unrelated to system issues.  If you'd like help with it, please post in the Game & Mod Issues forum; I don't really know how to fix this kind of thing.

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Game-and-Mod-CC-Issues/bd-p/the-sims-4-game-issues-mods-en

If you're still seeing performance or stability issues—crashing, freezing, major lag—please let me know.

Message 6 of 6 (314 Views)