Dot.: Am I able to install the game on an external hard drive?

by crinrict

Original Post

Am I able to install the game on an external hard drive?

★★★ Novice

The Sims takes up a MASSIVE amount of space. During this quarantine I thought that it would be a bit of fun to play again. I went out and purchased a 2TB external hard drive, hoping that this would enable me to play the game, while not having to sacrifice nearly everything on my machine. However, when I select the correct pathway for install, I am told that it is not allowed to go there? I suspect that I've done something wrong, as I have seen other Simmers using similar drives for their game play. Any advice would be appreciated! 

Message 1 of 4 (423 Views)

★★★ Expert

It's possible but I won't recommend it.

Trouble is with the drive letter since it can happen that a hard drive is not applied the same letter when reconnected and then the game won't work. Depending on your USB connection, it can also be slow.

If you want to try  here's instruction on how to change the installation path: http://sims4.crinrict.com/en/2014/09/change-installation-path/

Message 2 of 4 (420 Views)

★★★ Novice

This link is very outdated and this can't be done anymore. Is there another way?

Message 3 of 4 (343 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero

@cruelaugust It's not outdated. It's still working this way for Windows.

It's for installing the game to a different place or moving it.

What cant' be done anymore ? Where do you have issues ?

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 4 of 4 (311 Views)