Re: Accidentally moved my Electronic Arts folder to desktop.

by puzzlezaddict

Original Post

★★★ Novice

By popping up I mean even if I delete or move it - it reappears on the desktop. And yeah, ok - leaving it where it is might be best. I included some screenshots. Thanks for all your help! 

Message 11 of 16 (386 Views)

@AgnewLeah  Everything on the desktop is just user data, which is good: the files are duplicates of what you already have and are therefore expendable.  It sounds like OneDrive is redownloading the folder to the desktop even after you delete it, and in spite of OneDrive saying it is unable to sync the desktop files.  Try pausing syncing before deleting the folder; the option shows up when you right-click the cloud icon in the lower-right corner of the screen.

While you're at it, please let me know how much free and total storage OneDrive has.  Right-click the cloud icon and choose Settings > Account, and you'll see this:

free space.png

I'm not at all suggesting you buy more storage, only that it would be helpful to know whether this is contributing to the problem.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 12 of 16 (370 Views)

★★★ Novice

Ok - thank you. There is 15.7 GB used of 1TB (1%). 

Message 13 of 16 (341 Views)

@AgnewLeah  Alright, the issue isn't free space, but I'm not sure why else OneDrive would say it's unable to sync your folders.  Did Microsoft support say anything about that?  I'm not asking you to go back to support, only wondering if you know why this is happening.  When the user blocks syncing, OneDrive normally just says it's not syncing the folder(s) in question, not that it's unable to do so.

Did it help to pause syncing—were you able to delete the folder on your desktop?  If not, do you see that folder's contents on onedrive.com, and can you delete it from there?

Message 14 of 16 (440 Views)

★★★ Novice

I don't know why thats happening with OneDrive. I decided to leave everything as it is because I don't want to cause more damage. The Sims 4 screen was flickering a little bit and i read somewhere that I needed to check the "vertical sync" in game options. I did that and it no longer flickers, so thats good. I opened up The Sims 2 to make sure it works and it moved the EAGames folder to the desktop as well, and I don't know why. It's like The Sims now sees my desktop as the files root location. I would not know how to fix that so I'm just leaving it. I might end up reaching out to Microsoft Support for the OneDrive issue. Thank you very much for your help, the problem is (kind of) solved. I don't like those folders on my desktop but I think moving them and deleting them will just make it worse. Appreciate all your help. - Leah Agnew 

Message 15 of 16 (291 Views)

@AgnewLeah  If you want to fix this issue for good, a new Windows account would do it.  Making it a local account would mean no OneDrive at all; you could set it up later, but even then, you'd have all new settings for that account.  You don't need to do anything, of course; this is just an option in case the setup bothers you now or in the future.

Let me know if you'd like more help with this or anything else.

Message 16 of 16 (273 Views)