Re: Why Merrin Should be the Protagonist of a Jedi: Fallen Order Sequel

by SithApprentice39

Original Post

Why Merrin Should be the Protagonist of a Jedi: Fallen Order Sequel

★★ Pro

1. The ability progression system in the sequel would remain mostly the same. By the end of Jedi: Fallen Order, Cal Kestis has firmly reconnected to the Force and has “relearned” all of his Jedi Training. Thus, I feel that it would be very unsatisfying if all of that progress was wiped so that there could be a similar progression system in a sequel. Even if all of the progression from the first game remained and Cal added new abilities & combat moves to his repertoire, the problem of limited options on the controllers for consoles arises (credit the user). However, a new protagonist who is learning how to use the Force and fight with a lightsaber for the first time (such as Merrin) would progress similarly to Cal’s progression in the first game.

2. Merrin already has unique abilities that would put a new twist on the original game’s gameplay. Merrin’s Nightsister abilities (Necromance, Teleportation, Cloaking, etc) would be interesting additions to the protagonist’s skillset. While these abilities may take too long to perform in the middle of combat, I believe these abilities would be key in creating new, complex puzzles for the player to solve, especially in puzzles involving stealth & infiltration. In the original game, the puzzles (in my opinion) were as big a factor of the gameplay as the combat itself.

3. Merrin’s turbulent past allows for similar character development as in the original game. In Jedi: Fallen Order, Cal’s character is developed through flashbacks to his Jedi training with his master Jaro Tapal. This comes to a conclusion when Cal is forced to confront his traumatic memories from Order 66. This parallels Merrin surviving the Nightsister Massacre (her personal Order 66). Thus, Merrin’s character can also be further developed by flashbacks to her Nightsister training and the Nightsister Massacre (and maybe even to her pact with Malicos).

4. With a new protagonist comes a new outfit that can be customized. Fresh, new customization options are something this game needs.

NB: In fact, Cal not being the main protagonist could be a main focus of the plot of a sequel. Cal could be captured by either the Empire or a crime syndicate (maybe even Crimson Dawn?). Thus, Cal’s absence would drive the plot forward, since Merrin and the crew of the Mantis would be desperately searching for Cal in order to rescue him.

Message 1 of 9 (1,168 Views)

★★ Pro
@SithApprentice39 I actually would really like this, it could be great if a character creator isn't what the devs have in mind.
Message 2 of 9 (1,112 Views)

★★ Pro
@HCarbonic True. Thank you!
I guess we will just have to wait and see.
Message 3 of 9 (1,084 Views)

★★ Pro

We shall see...we shall see-see-see *hologram fades out*

Message 4 of 9 (1,047 Views)

★★ Pro
@HCarbonic Is that a Snoke reference from The Force Awakens?
Message 5 of 9 (1,022 Views)

★★★★★ Guide
@SithApprentice39
If she uses a lightsaber then may be.
Message 6 of 9 (1,004 Views)

★★ Pro
@SithApprentice39 Yes, the AHQ format wouldn’t let me put in my gif so I had to say it myself - first world problems *shudders*
Message 7 of 9 (981 Views)

★★ Pro
@budzai I like the way you think.
Message 8 of 9 (978 Views)

★★ Pro
@budzai Of course she would be using a lightsaber!
Message 9 of 9 (940 Views)