★★★ Newbie

Product: Star Wars: Squadrons
Platform:Steam-PC
Please specify your platform model. PC
What is your gamertag/PSN ID/EA Account name? Zoidburg26
Are you playing in VR? Yes
Which VR Platform are you using? Vive
Which part of the game is the issue happening in? Game Menu
What were you doing when the bug occurred? Step by Step detail is helpful. At launch, after the first loading screen, an EA/Origin screen with an account link login prompt appears
Where did this issue occur? Please include menu name or in game location. Steam to EA/Origin account link menu
When did this happen? (dd.mm.yy hh:mm) 02.10.20 19:30
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
How severe is your issue? Can't play
What happens when the bug occurs? I am unable to log in to the game service, when I make an attempt, a message states that my credentials are incorrect or expired. When I use the same credentials to log into my Origin app that is installed on my PC, and on the EA website, I am able to access my account. The account lockout in the ingame menu persisted even after I changed my password.
What do you expect to see? Successful login when using my proper credentials
Which ship were you playing? If not applicable, just answer "no" or "none." none.
What components were you using? none.
Which customizations (if any) were you using? none.

I am unable to log in to the game service when it asks me to link my steam account to my EA account, when I make an attempt, a message states that my credentials are incorrect or expired. When I use the same credentials to log into my Origin app that is installed on my PC, and on the EA website, I am able to access my account. The account lockout in the ingame menu persisted even after I changed my password. My Steam account is as of yet not linked to my Origin account through any other game.

Message 1 of 8 (7,407 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Unable to link Steam account to EA/Origin when prompted

★★★ Newbie

I worked around it after reading on a Steam thread that someone found having the Origin app open meant they did not have to log in. I started Origin, updated it (I had to switch to an admin user for that to work, then switch back to the user I use for gaming), logged in *in the Origin app*, then started Squadrons from Steam. After that there was no longer a login prompt in game.

I suspect my trouble stemmed from not playing any games through Origin for a long time and having an out of date Origin launcher, and also Steam was not starting the Origin launcher when it started Squadrons. People who never installed Origin also may not have this problem.

View in thread

Message 4 of 8 (7,297 Views)

All Replies

★★★ Newbie
@Zoidburg26 for me it seems I cannot type more than 10 characters in the password (my pass is 12) when I type the 11th char, it select all 10 chars and I cannot add more. Is it the same for you?
Message 2 of 8 (7,343 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I have the same problem. I contacted EA support (live chat) and was told that everything was fine with my EA account and I need to contact Steam!

I am sure this is wrong, since it is a EA prompt inside an EA game. I can log in to EA just fine on the web. I can log in to Origin. But when I start the game the prompt there says my credentials are invalid or expired.

Even worse, in VR I can not get past this prompt. And if I start the game not in VR and try to switch to VR it crashes.

So I am completely stuck and can not play the game at all.

This is not because my password is too long; I can type all the characters fine.

Message 3 of 8 (7,307 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I worked around it after reading on a Steam thread that someone found having the Origin app open meant they did not have to log in. I started Origin, updated it (I had to switch to an admin user for that to work, then switch back to the user I use for gaming), logged in *in the Origin app*, then started Squadrons from Steam. After that there was no longer a login prompt in game.

I suspect my trouble stemmed from not playing any games through Origin for a long time and having an out of date Origin launcher, and also Steam was not starting the Origin launcher when it started Squadrons. People who never installed Origin also may not have this problem.

Message 4 of 8 (7,298 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Is there any proper response from EA to this issue yet?
I see there may be a work around, but a solution would be appreciated....

I don't have origin installed on this PC and I would rather not install it just to work around this issue.

It would be a shame to have to return this game for a refund.

Message 5 of 8 (6,196 Views)

★★★★ Guide

I noticed that if I type into the origin linking/login Window on SteamVR, it overwrites letters from the login name I already typed. I managed to work around it by taking of my headset, going to the Desktop, input my Origin login E-Mail address into a text editor and copied, then pasted it into the VR login name Window. Then I typed in the password and confirmed. This worked for me.

Message 6 of 8 (6,141 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Just to update this...
I found a solution for my situation.

1. close out of the link account screen that comes up when launching from Steam and accept the offline messages

2. once in game, try reconnecting to the online services. this will open another origin login which worked for me.

3. accounts are now linked and it survives restarts.

Message 7 of 8 (6,060 Views)

★★★ Newbie
@ArrBee Thank you, thank you! This was driving me crazy.
Message 8 of 8 (4,534 Views)