Poor Marketing is Making People Look Away from All Your Hard Work, PopCap

by GammaX6

Original Post

Poor Marketing is Making People Look Away from All Your Hard Work, PopCap

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Guide

So far, we had only 2 trailers; One talks about certain aspects of the game briefly, and the other one is a commercial song to showcase the new heroes in a flashy way. They are both professionally made and make the game seem appealing. I love them and have nothing against either. However, this game is "deeper" than what those trailers have shown us.

There are aspects that players should understand before hopping into BFN: (not limited to these only)

• Leveling up and equipping upgrades should've been explained in trailers. Players should know what kind of Peashooters/Sunflower/Foot Soldier... etc they can make by mixing different upgrades together, and creating 3 different sets. Due to the lack of explanation to how leveling up works or what kind of upgrades are available to tinker with, players are left feeling underwhelmed as they have no knowledge of what replaced the variants. 
  • Interested players who never played GW1/GW2 might not have an idea about what BFN is actually about. Is it a PvE game? or only PvP? What kind of PvE or PvP modes are there? (This might have been explained vaguely in the first trailer.)
  • There should have been a clear message indicating how this game is a "brand-new adventure". That is to lower the expectations of players thinking it follows suit with GW1 > GW2.
  • You have worked on emojis and new communication methods. Show people all that! It might set a good example of how to use these on the battlefield strategically. Or being funny. Show people that they can communicate and how those will automatically translate to other languages.
  • Teased new heroes somewhere in the background to let people think of future possibilities. Or, if I were you, I wouldn’t have released all 6 new heroes at once. But released 2 heroes at a time. This would give people an impression that this game will introduce more new heroes in the future. Each time you would’ve introduced those heroes, the hype would build up and people would have something to look up for.

All what I'm trying to say is that you, PopCap, have worked so hard on many new features but you haven't advertised or showed them off properly to players. As someone who has all heroes maxed out, and played since the first week of Founder's Edition release, I can see the bigger picture clearer than most other players and probably understand where you're going with the game. I understand that by releasing those trailers the main issues others have with this game wouldn't be solved for them, but at least you can steer players' expectations to an exciting narrative rather than letting them compare GW1/GW2 with BFN. (which they would do, regardless! That's hard coded into human nature... comparing things all the time.) 

Just to clarify things, I'm not asking them to make trailers explaining everything from A-Z. They could be really creative hiding those messages and building excitement to what people can do in this game. It should be, of course, targeted towards old GW fans and people new to the series alike. Bear in mind that not all players watch Twitch or come to these forums or Reddit/Discord which means that messages communicated through these mediums might not reach all players. *1

The vision of this game is not clear to most players, and it needs to be clarified further.

* Edit: Format + *1 extra sentence.

Message 1 of 2 (324 Views)

Re: Poor Marketing is Making People Look Away from All Your Hard Work, PopCap

★★ Guide

If i could upvote this 100 times i would. I can only surmise that GW2 sales didn't meet expectations, so they left marketing behind. Around E3 of last year i was upset that a new GW wasn't yet on the radar... then this year same thing. Then all of a sudden "HEY COME PLAY OUR FOUNDERS EDITION DUDE!" umm... WHOA! OKAY!!!

Fast forward to now and the PvE is pretty much dried up, the PvP is not doing anything to pull me in since its so very different from the first 2 games, no variants to chase down and unlock to keep me going, 3 or so EXP bars to keep track of, with prizes that feel very "meh" then i go onto youtube on launch day, and the day after to find ZERO AAA REVIEWS AT ALL. 

Literally nobody with any sort of following at all, is reviewing this game. Idk if it's because of the founders edition, i mean Zack Scott has covered the game TO DEATH the past couple of months or so. Not to mention he and ZeroFusions are pulling in every bit of the views. Making content for this game just flat out, is NOT worth the time, and i make content. Have since 2011. You won't get ANY traction covering GW, because those 2 soak up all of the search relevancy. They are doing NOTHING to warn people about the changes or problems from what i can see, and if they are. They aren't titling videos around it. So what hype people DO get, fizzles away once they realize those two aren't representing the average gamer. 

That's part of the marketing problem... youtube caters to one or two channels now for just about EVERY GAME... which means once a IP has been around long enough, one or two people have it on lock, nobody else really tries to follow up. Some games this doesn't happen, but PvZ has had this problem for a while now... i don't get it. Either way, i can tell you it discourages me from making reviews, or any content around PvZ honestly. So i can see why nobody seems to be covering it. 

Lack of hype, and a market already cornered by a couple of people. I honestly think youtubers are starting to choke the games they love to death lol. 

Message 2 of 2 (253 Views)