Re: Game Crash in Sanctuary Tower

by XeroAngelo

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Game Crash in Sanctuary Tower

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

I play ME3 on PC.

I have played through a number of times without issue, but recently I installed the Citadel DLC and was able to play through that fine. I went back and started a new game and everything has been going fine until I hit a certain point in the Sanctuary Tower. At this point I have received the last recorded message from Miranda, climbed up the ladder and cleared the corridor. This is just before getting on the short tram ride. The game crashes every time I walk through the doorway. I've tried several different times making attempts walking, running, walking backwards and sideways and at an angle. I've tried reloading my quicksave just before going through the corridor and a slightly earlier autosave just after clearing the corridor. Crashes every time. I had an issue very early on in ME3 before any patches where it would sometimes crash at this point, but haven't had it with at least a half-dozen play thoughs since.

As an aside I have double checked that my graphics drivers are up to date.

App event log

Log Name:      Application
Source:        Application Error
Date:          3/7/2013 5:34:56 PM
Event ID:      1000
Task Category: (100)
Level:         Error
Keywords:      Classic
User:          N/A
Computer:      ***
Description:
Faulting application name: MassEffect3.exe, version: 1.5.5427.124, time stamp: 0x50d4cab0
Faulting module name: MassEffect3.exe, version: 1.5.5427.124, time stamp: 0x50d4cab0
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00243841
Faulting process id: 0x6b8
Faulting application start time: 0x01ce1b83e13652f2
Faulting application path: ...\Mass Effect 3\binaries\Win32\MassEffect3.exe
Faulting module path: ...\Mass Effect 3\binaries\Win32\MassEffect3.exe

Also as a note I did try restarting the Sanctuary mission from the beginning and got the same thing.

Message 1 of 22 (23,324 Views)

Accepted Solution

★★★ Novice
I was having the same issue, then I went into options and set the game to windowed mode and turned off AA and dynamic shadows and was able to get thru the door. I don't know that you'd need to do all 3, but thats what I did. I didn't turn AA/DS and fullscreen back on till I was at the end of the hall.

View in thread

Message 2 of 22 (25,532 Views)

All Replies

★★★ Novice
I was having the same issue, then I went into options and set the game to windowed mode and turned off AA and dynamic shadows and was able to get thru the door. I don't know that you'd need to do all 3, but thats what I did. I didn't turn AA/DS and fullscreen back on till I was at the end of the hall.
Message 2 of 22 (25,533 Views)

★★★★ Novice

I had the same problem and this was the only thing that was able to fix it, thank you. Can't believe the game still has the same bugs 4 years later.

Message 3 of 22 (18,400 Views)

Community Manager (retired)

Hello @pinkdie

Glad to hear, you were able to solve this. I know this is not the best possible solution, and I will check this issue with our experts. Thank you for bringing this up.

Cheers,

Archi

Archi.png
Message 4 of 22 (18,283 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

Same issue in the same location. Solutions tried: windowed mode, reduced resolution (from 1920x1080 to 1280x720, still in windowed mode), turn off AA, turn off dynamic shadows, turn off motion blur, turn off anisotropic filtering, turn off sound, use Origin repair game function (twice), set processor affinity to use single core (I run an i7) and it still locks up about one or two steps on the other side of the door. At least in windowed mode, I can bring up the task manager and kill the process; it takes a hard reset in full screen mode.

Have not run into this problem on any other playthrough and I was playing this on day one. Current game installation was about five days ago. Configuration utility says I'm patched to 1.05 and I'm running all non-MP DLCs. I will try restarting the mission since that's the only solution that I haven't tried yet.

EDIT/UPDATE: restarting the mission seems to have done it. I left all other changes in place except for turning the sound back on and letting the game have all processor cores again. Went back to normal settings once back on the Normandy.

EDIT/UPDATE II: to add to the puzzlement and confusion, I had to play through the mission a third time (<facepalm> forgot to pick up a weapon after making it past the door in windowed mode </facepalm>). I did not hit the freeze again, even though everything had been put back to regular settings. Go figure.

Message 5 of 22 (17,999 Views)

★ Novice

Going to windowed mode and disabling AA and DS worked. Thank you!

Message 6 of 22 (17,578 Views)

★ Novice

It's officially been too long since mass effect was released for this bug to still exist, but I've hit it too, and nothing seems to be working at all, even restarting the mission and game several times with the settings suggested before are ineffective. this is the first time I've even had this bug and yet none of the suggested work-around's are working at all.

Message 7 of 22 (16,822 Views)

@XeroAngelo

Is your GPU overclocked?

Is your GPU driver up to date?

Did you tried to repair the game. (in Origin > Game Library > right click ME3 > Repair)

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This is a players helping players forum, I don't work for EA.
Dies ist ein Spieler helfen Spielern Forum, ich arbeite nicht für EA.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Death closes all: but something ere the end, Some work of noble note, may yet be done, Not unbecoming men that strove with Gods.
Ulysses - Alfred, Lord Tennyson
Message 8 of 22 (16,776 Views)

★ Novice
Having the exact same issue right now. I've done all the above recommended and nothing has worked. Even uninstalled the game.
Was in a live chat with EA help where they recommended changing the Windows Version to XP but they disconnected while I was in the middle of doing that because I didn't reply (it didn't work anyway.)
Very odd they still have these bugs when it's 2018...
Message 9 of 22 (15,318 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Also have this problem end of may 2019.

Message 10 of 22 (13,515 Views)