Failed to Launch Game Error

by LaTaZOtter

Original Post

Failed to Launch Game Error

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

History: I purchased this game a few years ago and discovered the computers I had were inadequate to run the program so I put away until I recently realized that I had both a new computer and already had ME And to meds installed on it.

I decided to install the original since the CPU seemed able to handle it now.

That's when the fun began.

Install from the DVD was relatively quick but the program immediately crashed upon running the configuration utility.

Checking the player forums for "The game cannot start", even though the recent EA Manager could access it fine, I checked and found the .exe was older than 2009. So I installed the 1.02 patch that was listed per instructions.

Launching initiated a new error, " Important Message!  There is a problem connecting to the server". Checking the Forums again, I decided to install directly from the EA manager. Now I received an error "Failed to launch game An error on our end caused the launch to fail."

That one stopped me once I saw some of the proposed fixes.

You see, I have the original DVD install located in "C:/games/Mass Effect" and the download went to the "C://Program Files/EA Games/Mass Effect".

Now I'm concerned with what effect the revoke command might have on the uninstall of one or both of the two separate installs.

Which brings me here.

I have no intention of re-purchasing some game I got relatively cheap at Target. I already have enough issues with the attempt to control any form of games, music, video or similar media by regulating them from a server. I've lost a number of games, utilities, videos and such because the companies went belly up, had their/the local licensing revoked or expired or other possible causes, age/updated and changed material/dropped.

Find some other method to control the piracy issues, leave paying consumers out of it. 

That said, I would like to play the game I paid for now that it appears the equipment is sufficient. I've been waiting for years....

Thank you for any assistance that you may provide.

Message 1 of 10 (1,353 Views)

Betreff: I'm geting the "Failed to launch game."

@LaTaZOtter 

• Make sure EA app is closed.
  • Press the Windows key and "R" at the same time.
  • Type or copy and paste "%ProgramData%\Electronic Arts\EA Services" (without the quotes) into the new Window > ENTER
  • Move the "License" folder to your desktop.
  • Test with the digital copy.

If that don#t helps create a DxDiag in text file format and post it with your next reply. You can do that with the "Choose file" button at the bottom right corner of the reply window. 

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This is a players helping players forum, I don't work for EA.
Dies ist ein Spieler helfen Spielern Forum, ich arbeite nicht für EA.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Death closes all: but something ere the end, Some work of noble note, may yet be done, Not unbecoming men that strove with Gods.
Ulysses - Alfred, Lord Tennyson
Message 2 of 10 (1,343 Views)

★★ Novice

First off, thank you for the assist.

Second, ouch! I've been messing around too much with the internet and used forward slashes instead of back.

I moved the license and reran the digital copy, I had to let the system bypass the firewall a few times, then it appeared to allow mass effect to actually start, but it never actually displayed. The task manager insisted it was running and I waited a half hour, but nothing.

A new license was apparently created.

Then I checked the EA manager and it indicated it was running but that was it.

So I exited the EA manager and killed the mass effect process in task manager.

Restarted the CPU and attempted running it again. This time it took little time to state that it couldn't contact the server.

After a few failed attempts, I created a diagnostic file, included.

Message 3 of 10 (1,328 Views)

@LaTaZOtter 

• Hit Windows key and X.
  • Choose either “PowerShell (Administrator)” or “Command prompt (Administrator),” or "Windows Terminal (Administrator)", whichever option is offered.
  • Inside the PowerShell or CMD, enter “DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Checkhealth” without quotes. > ENTER.
  • If errors are found, notify us. If no errors were found reaped steps 1 & 2.
  • Inside the PowerShell or CMD, enter “DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth” without quotes. > ENTER.
  • The system will start validating soon. If it throws an error, please list it here.
  • After it reaches 100%, hit Windows key and X again.
  • Again, choose “PowerShell (Administrator)” or “Command Prompt (Administrator)”
  • Inside the PowerShell or CMD, enter “sfc /scannow” without quotes. >ENTER.
  • Post the message you receive at the end of the processes here.

I will be away until the weekend but asks a friend of mine to look at this thread.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This is a players helping players forum, I don't work for EA.
Dies ist ein Spieler helfen Spielern Forum, ich arbeite nicht für EA.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Death closes all: but something ere the end, Some work of noble note, may yet be done, Not unbecoming men that strove with Gods.
Ulysses - Alfred, Lord Tennyson
Message 4 of 10 (1,307 Views)

★★ Novice

Update on the issue.

I ran both of the DISM's no error listed. Only thing reported by SFC was an issue with an Intel Community Reporting app crashing, which I recognized as having an unprompted restart issue. That one was removed. 

A few others had some issues with being checked, so I will run SFC again as soon as I am able to get to it.

As it so happens, after running these ME Andromeda had some odd hiccups when starting. So I'm not sure of something was affected in the clearing of those issues. I may also need to kill off my AV and Firewall and see if those are interfering in some manner.

Message 5 of 10 (1,219 Views)

★★ Novice

Took off the AV and attempted to run ME but got an error that it couldn't find my account information. Tried again running the EA app first, same thing.Odd issue is that it never appears to open either Mass Effect, or the EA programs at all. How can I sign in or keep signed in if it never reaches those options?

Message 6 of 10 (1,110 Views)

★★ Novice
Also since that doesn't operate, now I have to be concerned if my other programs from EA/Origin will work.
I'll try those next.
Message 7 of 10 (1,108 Views)

★★ Novice
I realized that my computer wasn't connected to the internet and suspected that the failure was because it couldn't validate the account since it wasn't actually connected.
I rarely have my computer connected due to security and other concerns. I really don't like the idea that I have to submit a request every time I play a game, particularly one I prefer playing offline anyway.
In either case, I activated my internet connection and was able to apparently have Mass Effect start up. I say apparently because after the EA window drops to the taskbar, the ME window never opens.
After waiting for a extended period I checked the task manager and EA window. Task manager reports that EA is operating in a background manner, as is "activation UI (32 bit)" and "Mass Effect (32 bit)".
The EA window can be brought forward, the ME window cannot and has no access on the taskbar. EA currently reports the game has played for 20 minutes.
Message 8 of 10 (1,105 Views)

★★ Novice
No that doesn't mean that it works. The Mass Effect window or screen still does not open and does not appear to be accessible. As for 20 minutes, that still doesn't mean it's been played or even seen, only the EA loader/manager claims that.
Message 9 of 10 (766 Views)

★★ Novice

I don't seem to be getting a useful answer for this issue. So instead, I will be clearing out the copies of both Mass Effect Andromeda and Mass Effect Legacy (?) , and instead just install them on a new gaming PC.

I'm hoping that will clear the issues.

Thanks anyway.

Message 10 of 10 (330 Views)