Bad textures in mass effect 3

by Grimjarn

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Bad textures in mass effect 3

★★★ Novice
Grimjarn

1 pt

I am having an issues with textures in Mass effect 3 ,  As you can see in the video i have linked, texturing is weird in Mass effect 3. Both in the starting screen and in multiplayer. I have problems with SW battlefront 2 as well, but since that one came a while ago i believe it is two diferent problems that are not connected  and will treat them as such. The linked video shows the bad texturing. This is a game that has worked for 10 years pluss, so it is weird that it should occur now. In the video i am playing multiplayer, but the bad texturing is present in the single player campaign as well. With faces being black and distorted by black areas. If needed i can upload a video of that as well. You can ignore the part of the video that shows Sw battlefront 2.

The issues with texturing in mass effect started less than 24 hours ago. I thought it might have had to do with getting windows 11 on my pc, but after rolling back to windows 10 i stil have the problem.

I have tried a reinstall of both origin and mass effect.

I am sorry if i have placed this  in the wrong forum.

Video on youtube showing the problems:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_eO0wlKo5Q

2022 12 27 23 15 14
Uploaded by Morten Fjellheim on 2022-12-27.

Message 2 of 9 (750 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Bad textures in mass effect 3

[ Edited ]
Hero

@Grimjarn I had this exact same problem before. Did you in the past have a texture mod installed? Here's what was wrong in my case:

I had previously installed a high res texture mod (ALOT) which applied config tweaks. After uninstalling the game and then installing it again at some later date, the problem started occurring. That's because deinstallation removes all game files, including modded texture, but all config files in the Documents folder are untouched. You probably have regular old textures installed but your config file has LOD settings meant for a high res texture mod.

The solution is to remove your config file so the game is forced to create a new one.

I think the file you have to delete is GamerSettings.ini located in Documents\BioWare\Mass Effect 3\BIOGame\Config

CCP Hero Banner - Red.png

View in thread

Message 3 of 9 (740 Views)

All Replies

Origin trouble

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

I am having several issues with Origin, at least i believe it is Origin. As you can see in the video i have linked, texturing is weird in Mass effect 3. Both in the starting screen and in multiplayer. Later in the video you can see there is no mousepointer in SW battlefront 2. I am selecting something though as you can both hear and see.

The issues with texturing in mass effect started today. I thought it might have to do with getting windows 11 on my pc, but after rolling back to windows 10 i stil have the issue.

The SW battlefront 2 problems came a few weeks ago, when i had to reinstall windows 10 due to some issues in my new ssd disk. I had to disconnect the ssd and reinstall windows to the old hardisk, that had been formated. This reinstall must not be mistaken for the roll back i did today, it happend a few weeks ago.

The SW battlefront 2 issue have been abit on and off so i am thinking that both issues have seperate reasons.

I have tried a reinstall of both origin and mass effect. I have not attempted a reinstall of SW battlefront 2.

I am sorry if i have placed this  in the wrong forum.

Video on youtube showing the problems:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_eO0wlKo5Q

Message 1 of 9 (757 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero

@Grimjarn I had this exact same problem before. Did you in the past have a texture mod installed? Here's what was wrong in my case:

I had previously installed a high res texture mod (ALOT) which applied config tweaks. After uninstalling the game and then installing it again at some later date, the problem started occurring. That's because deinstallation removes all game files, including modded texture, but all config files in the Documents folder are untouched. You probably have regular old textures installed but your config file has LOD settings meant for a high res texture mod.

The solution is to remove your config file so the game is forced to create a new one.

I think the file you have to delete is GamerSettings.ini located in Documents\BioWare\Mass Effect 3\BIOGame\Config

CCP Hero Banner - Red.png

Message 3 of 9 (741 Views)

★★★ Novice

Aye, i found that to be the reason. I did have Alot textures installed, but i thought after reinstalling ME3 two times it should work. But someone else told me to do what you did to fix it. Only diference is i renamed the folder instead of removing it. So it is now working.

I also thought i had deleted this thread, but now you have answered it. Maybe it doesnt get deleted.

Message 4 of 9 (729 Views)

@Grimjarn 

I moved your other post about this problem into this thread.

Please don't post in several threads about the same problem in the future.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This is a players helping players forum, I don't work for EA.
Dies ist ein Spieler helfen Spielern Forum, ich arbeite nicht für EA.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Death closes all: but something ere the end, Some work of noble note, may yet be done, Not unbecoming men that strove with Gods.
Ulysses - Alfred, Lord Tennyson
Message 5 of 9 (716 Views)

★★★ Novice

I have solved the issue with textures in Mass effect but my Star wars battlefront 2 problem is stil intact. The video stil shows the problem, is there anyone who knows what is wrong?

Message 6 of 9 (677 Views)

@Grimjarn 

Try to repair the game.

(Origin: Game Library > Right-click the game cover > Repair)

(EA app: My Collection > Click on the three dots on the game cover > Repair)
(Steam: Game Library > Right-click the game > Properties > Local Files > Verify integrity of game files.)

Death closes all: but something ere the end, Some work of noble note, may yet be done, Not unbecoming men that strove with Gods.
Message 7 of 9 (662 Views)

★★★ Novice

Repairing has fixed the issue in the video however, i have more issues. The first time i had this issue, the mouse would sometimes disappear leaving me with no way to click anywhere.That is what i am having now. Since i have two screens i can move the mouse towards the other screen and click in it. That would tap me out and i would be able to tap in again and the issue with the disappearing would be fixed. Well, it would reappear after i clicked into one of the game modes. And being able to move the mouse outside the border of the game, shouldnt be possible in fullscreen mode?

Other times the mousepointer changes looks. It starts looking as if the mousepointer is hovering over text in a textprogram or something, the way it looks like when you mark text. I am also having that issue now.
So long story short, whatever is wrong result in several problems.

Message 8 of 9 (626 Views)

@Grimjarn 

Do you have the mouse-trail enabled? If so disable it.

Do you have an input device other than keyboard and mouse connected? If so disconnect it > restart the PC > Test.

If that don't helps preform a clean boot and test the Game in clean boot mode.

Message 9 of 9 (612 Views)