[PC] DAO Unable to Fight During Combat

by Cyb3rNugg3t

Original Post

Accepted Solution

[PC] DAO Unable to Fight During Combat

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

I am trying to play as a human noble in Dragon Age Origins but I cannot get past the fight in the larder with the giant rats. As soon as the combat started, the rats would move forward a bit but then stop completely, and then no one moved. My character can move around, but I cannot attack anything at all. The game isn't paused so it can't be that. I have no mods installed either. All my drivers are updated, and my windows is updated. Other topics have been raised about this, but no one has given solutions.

Message 1 of 8 (237 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: [PC] DAO Unable to Fight During Combat

★★ Novice

This is my 5th human noble playthrough on the PC version of the game and I've never had this issue before either. I did happen to see old forum posts (the ones I mentioned) even saying this happened in the Proving in their dwarf commoner origin and even once during the Archdemon fight, so I don't think it's origin specific. I just think it's most likely to happen with the human noble origin and early in the game.

The good news is that a second uninstall and reinstall seemed to work. I was able to load the save file and the error was resolved. The rats are attacking me just fine so far, though I plan on loading in a few more times. This made me realize that the error with the rats not attacking also didn't allow me to name Dog at the start of the fight. I hadn't realized it before at all, but maybe it's connected. Just to be safe, I did do a fresh install of my current mods as well (I don't have Qwinn's Ultimate Fixpack, but I'm going to look into it now).

Before doing this second uninstall and reinstall, I had exited the game, reloaded old saves, restarted the origin, etc. Nothing fixed it until this second time. The only difference is that I waited a few days between the uninstall and reinstall. I doubt that did anything, and I'm not sure why the second time worked, but I'm not going to question it if it means I get to keep playing one of my favorite games.

Thanks for the suggestions, guys! I hope your issue resolved as well, @Cyb3rNugg3t. A few days was no fun for me. I can't imagine a few weeks if the problem has persisted.

View in thread

Message 7 of 8 (29 Views)

All Replies

Re: Can't do anything in combat

Community Manager

@Cyb3rNugg3t Hey, following up on this post to see if you are still having issues with the game!

Cheers!

EA_ShepardAHQ

Accept as Solution button- If a post answers your question please let us and other players know by hitting this button.
Me Too button - 'Me Too' helps us track how many players are also experiencing that issue. Definitely make use of this button.
XP button - Say Kudos and help players 'Level Up' by giving them XP for helpful posts.

Message 2 of 8 (213 Views)

Hero

I haven't heard of this one. I know it's annoying, but does a reload help?

CCP Hero Banner - Red.png

Message 3 of 8 (206 Views)

★★ Novice

I'm having this exact same problem. I've uninstalled my game, reinstalled it, tried workarounds from the same bug dated on forums from 2010. It all seems to come down to the ultimate edition of the game from what I've researched. Like you, the game isn't paused, and while I could still move everyone around, no one would actually attack the rats and the rats would not attack me. My drivers and Windows are fully updated. Unlike you, I have mods installed, but after digging through 14 years' worth of forum posts about other players having this problem since the ultimate edition dropped, I'm going to go out on a limb and say it's not the mods this time.

I had a question, however. I was curious if, before you loaded up the game this time, you were prompted to sign in to verify the ultimate edition of the game. I've owned the PC edition of the game for years now and have never had this popup on my screen. However, the unable to fight issue happened with the new save right after I verified my login (mainly because it gave me no other option if I wanted to play). If you had the same issue occur, then perhaps this is somehow related?

Message 4 of 8 (90 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

Hi,

@Cyb3rNugg3t  I'm curious to know if a reload/full restart help with the problem. Maybe try to repair the game though I'm not certain that'd do much

@InkheartASMI've played the human noble origin quite a few times but haven't stumbled on that bug somehow (and yes I do have the ultimate edition). I do tend to find fixpacks mods whenever I can. So I'm actually curious to know if Qwinn's ultimate fixpack helps with this (the changelog doesn't mentions the bug but maybe fixing something else fixes this too ? I dunno) or if I've just been very lucky all this time.

Same question though does a reload (maybe of an earlier save) or full on restart of the origin fixes the issue or is it "stuck" from the moment it appears ?

Message 5 of 8 (71 Views)

Community Manager

Anytime I am stuck like this i do a few things first that way I don't lose my saves.

• Reload a previous save.
  • Keep going back a few more to test.
  • Save your game as a new save file
  • Close the game down, and reload the new one.

• Then I clear app cache
  • Clear PC temp files
  • Repair the game.

EA_ShepardAHQ

Accept as Solution button- If a post answers your question please let us and other players know by hitting this button.
Me Too button - 'Me Too' helps us track how many players are also experiencing that issue. Definitely make use of this button.
XP button - Say Kudos and help players 'Level Up' by giving them XP for helpful posts.

Message 6 of 8 (50 Views)

★★ Novice

This is my 5th human noble playthrough on the PC version of the game and I've never had this issue before either. I did happen to see old forum posts (the ones I mentioned) even saying this happened in the Proving in their dwarf commoner origin and even once during the Archdemon fight, so I don't think it's origin specific. I just think it's most likely to happen with the human noble origin and early in the game.

The good news is that a second uninstall and reinstall seemed to work. I was able to load the save file and the error was resolved. The rats are attacking me just fine so far, though I plan on loading in a few more times. This made me realize that the error with the rats not attacking also didn't allow me to name Dog at the start of the fight. I hadn't realized it before at all, but maybe it's connected. Just to be safe, I did do a fresh install of my current mods as well (I don't have Qwinn's Ultimate Fixpack, but I'm going to look into it now).

Before doing this second uninstall and reinstall, I had exited the game, reloaded old saves, restarted the origin, etc. Nothing fixed it until this second time. The only difference is that I waited a few days between the uninstall and reinstall. I doubt that did anything, and I'm not sure why the second time worked, but I'm not going to question it if it means I get to keep playing one of my favorite games.

Thanks for the suggestions, guys! I hope your issue resolved as well, @Cyb3rNugg3t. A few days was no fun for me. I can't imagine a few weeks if the problem has persisted.

Message 7 of 8 (30 Views)

Community Manager

@InkheartASM Glad that worked out for you and you can play now!

EA_ShepardAHQ

Message 8 of 8 (16 Views)