Re: DAO : Can't change subtitles language

by EA_Shepard

Original Post

Accepted Solution

DAO : Can't change subtitles language

★★★★★ Apprentice

Hi,

I've been wanting to go back to adventuring in Ferelden. I already know there's a lot of problems concerning languages for the dlcs etc to the point where I do have a folder with the dazips for the dlcs just to make sure I'll have the audio.

Now, I just want to put the subtitles to French and have be done with it. I go to origins config and the option isn't there. Just in case I use a repair on the game and... still the same result.

So basically the question is this : How do I install the french subtitles that are obviously missing ? (and how do I check they're really not there cause I found the audio... which fun fanct I seem to have the audio both for French and English for base game but Awakening only has the English files) I'd like to keep uninstall/reinstall as a last resort

Weird thing too that might be somehow linked (maybe ?) my time played for the game in EA Play is 00h00 (same no last played date). I've played the game from start to finish with every single origin so... Clearly something's off there

Message 1 of 8 (319 Views)

Accepted Solution

★★★★★ Apprentice

Looked up some solutions online specific to Awakening not having its language files and found one that suggested to repair it so I gave it a try and... it worked.

So for those having similar problem here's the solution :

If you're missing an entire language other than english entirely : Uninstall the game and do a clean reinstall in the language you want.

You might want to check if you have all the files in the core_ep1 (Dragon Age/packages/core_ep1) and or/look up a list of files for the language from SteamDB (which was my reference since it seems the french and english folders don't contain the same files). Or as a rule if you don't find an fr-fr folder or any file inside...

In this case use a repair on the game and it should download the missing content (don't know why it doesn't straight away)

If you're missing an entire language in Awakening only : Try repairing the game seems dumb especially after an install but somehow it works (at least as far as populating files does haven't tried to play Awakening yet)

If you're missing an entire language in dlcs other than Awakening : I'd suggest looking up at https://dragonage.fandom.com/wiki/Downloadable_content_(Origins) for the content you have and using daupdater.exe (Dragon Age/bin_ship) to install the dazips you'll get that should fix the issue

View in thread

Message 7 of 8 (170 Views)

All Replies

@Elena_Chase 

You tried to changed the language in the "DAOriginsConfig.exe"?

Where did you purchased the game?

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This is a players helping players forum, I don't work for EA.
Dies ist ein Spieler helfen Spielern Forum, ich arbeite nicht für EA.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Death closes all: but something ere the end, Some work of noble note, may yet be done, Not unbecoming men that strove with Gods.
Ulysses - Alfred, Lord Tennyson
Message 2 of 8 (294 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice
@holger1405 Didn't mean to accept as solution... That'll teach me to try and answer from the phone....

Anyway, that's what I meant by going to origins config. The only language available is English except for VO (so the voice) that has both French and English...

Bought it from origin store years ago... I think. It's been a few years now. And the game appears normally except for the no played stats on EA Play
Message 3 of 8 (274 Views)

Community Manager

@Elena_Chase Hey, so way back when, did the DLCs have those language subtitles and now they do not? Is it just the DLCs you want to have those languages in or the game as well? 

Depending on the purchase itself, all of that is based on your location, the purchase you made, your currency, the region your store (origin back then) connected to, etc. If nothing changes, the subtitles should be there. I am testing mine since I have a code that supports multiple languages to see what happens.

EA_ShepardAHQ

Accept as Solution button- If a post answers your question please let us and other players know by hitting this button.
Me Too button - 'Me Too' helps us track how many players are also experiencing that issue. Definitely make use of this button.
XP button - Say Kudos and help players 'Level Up' by giving them XP for helpful posts.

Message 4 of 8 (254 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

My first few playthroughs were in French so yeah the language was definitely there... I've always started getting trouble with voiceover when I started playing the game with french subtitles and english voiceover (as in missing voices on dlcs etc which is why I have a folder with the officials dazip, that way I had the voiceover I wanted).

There aren't any subtitle in french as far as I can tell. Launching the game has me with the main menu being in english. Didn't try to play farther.

Well, can't remember ever seeing an option of only one language being available for a game in the store if I'm honest. The copy was bought in Europe so multilpe language support should, in theory, be supported. My searches have brought up trouble with the Ultimate Edition where Awakening didn't even have the localized voiceover.

If I were to hazard a guess as to what is happening, I installed the game in full english (selected specifically the language when prompted) and so it didn't download anything else (which should at the very least be an option nowadays "cool wanna download any other language packs?" or simply giving all the files shouldn't be hard. I remember even Inquisition is plagued with such problems... They had to make a specific free pack for that...).

If I'm right the easy fix would be to uninstall the game, make sure to select french, reinstall the dazips for the dlc (and the mods). Not sure if that'd leave me with the possibility to switch back to english subtitles at a later date though... Not that important, just a lack of flexibility that make things kinda hard and frustrating

Message 5 of 8 (243 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

Update : Mostly fixed. Went through uninstalling/reinstalling the game and making sure to do so in french (after saving all the en-us language files I could find just to be sure). After the download both languages were present... with the exception of the ones in the core_ep1 (awakening ?) where only en-us is present.
I didn't check the other dlcs since I have the dazips so once installed there is no language missing

So the issue for the main game and most DLCs is fixed. There is still the fact Awakening only has english sub and voiceover

Thanks for the help so far though x)

Message 6 of 8 (225 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

Looked up some solutions online specific to Awakening not having its language files and found one that suggested to repair it so I gave it a try and... it worked.

So for those having similar problem here's the solution :

If you're missing an entire language other than english entirely : Uninstall the game and do a clean reinstall in the language you want.

You might want to check if you have all the files in the core_ep1 (Dragon Age/packages/core_ep1) and or/look up a list of files for the language from SteamDB (which was my reference since it seems the french and english folders don't contain the same files). Or as a rule if you don't find an fr-fr folder or any file inside...

In this case use a repair on the game and it should download the missing content (don't know why it doesn't straight away)

If you're missing an entire language in Awakening only : Try repairing the game seems dumb especially after an install but somehow it works (at least as far as populating files does haven't tried to play Awakening yet)

If you're missing an entire language in dlcs other than Awakening : I'd suggest looking up at https://dragonage.fandom.com/wiki/Downloadable_content_(Origins) for the content you have and using daupdater.exe (Dragon Age/bin_ship) to install the dazips you'll get that should fix the issue

Message 7 of 8 (171 Views)

Community Manager

@Elena_Chase Very nice. Glad you were able to get this working on your end!

Cheers!

EA_ShepardAHQ

Accept as Solution button- If a post answers your question please let us and other players know by hitting this button.
Me Too button - 'Me Too' helps us track how many players are also experiencing that issue. Definitely make use of this button.
XP button - Say Kudos and help players 'Level Up' by giving them XP for helpful posts.

Message 8 of 8 (131 Views)