Re: Origin cant choose install location

by Lent1la

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Origin cant choose install location

★★ Novice

Hello everyone,

I ran into this problem and even origin support couldnt help me so i hope someone might know an solution.

This is my screen when i try to select a new place to install and download games.

so i cant chose a different place and the current place is to small. 

so far ive tried the:

- beta version of origin

- clean install  so uninstalling and removing files from program data. app data. registery

im running windows 10 with the new update

hope someone knows a solution

thx

lerith

Message 1 of 20 (66,965 Views)

Accepted Solution

[ Edited ]
★★★ Expert

Hi @Lerith,

First exit Origin completely.

Now create a folder on the drive you want the games installed on for Origin Games. I'll call it D/Origin Games for this example.

Run Origin as Administrator.

Go to Application Settings - Installs and saves. See if you can use Browse to locate the folder you just created and, direct Origin to install games there.

It will create the sub folders for each game you install inside the one you made for it to use.

If you need to move already installed games to the new location, see this guide: Backing up and restoring your Origin Games.

View in thread

Message 2 of 20 (70,262 Views)

All Replies

[ Edited ]
★★★ Expert

Hi @Lerith,

First exit Origin completely.

Now create a folder on the drive you want the games installed on for Origin Games. I'll call it D/Origin Games for this example.

Run Origin as Administrator.

Go to Application Settings - Installs and saves. See if you can use Browse to locate the folder you just created and, direct Origin to install games there.

It will create the sub folders for each game you install inside the one you made for it to use.

If you need to move already installed games to the new location, see this guide: Backing up and restoring your Origin Games.

Message 2 of 20 (70,263 Views)

Community Manager

@Lerith

You may have to free up some hard drive space.

What hard drives do you have and how much free space do they have?

barry.png
Message 3 of 20 (66,919 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I have the exact same problem. I've reinstalled Origin, Run it as an administrator. I have 1.8TB free space on my hard drive and I have already made the folder to which I want the file path to go. Need a solution.

Message 4 of 20 (66,282 Views)

★★★ Newbie

It's not obvious - but you can select the install location.  It's the first option at the top.

Message 5 of 20 (63,084 Views)

★★★ Newbie
ha ha. I can't believe it was this easy all along.
I only just signed up with my first game and have nothing to move.
Thanks for bailing me before it got more complicated.
Message 6 of 20 (59,501 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Perfect it works! Had the same issue used your solution and it worked!! Nice one fella! 

Message 7 of 20 (59,320 Views)

★★★ Newbie

thanks a lot man

Message 8 of 20 (56,889 Views)

★★★★ Novice

I was having this problem today and tried the steps people have mentioned here, but they didn’t work for me. I couldn’t make a new folder or save to a different place. I figured out that all my folders had somehow been switched over to “read only”. Even Program Files (x86) was set as read only. So if anyone is still having this problem try checking that your folders don’t have that little read only box ticked. Right click-Properties-General and there is a little box near the bottom that says Read Only (applies to files in folder). So when you untick that and hit apply it will change that folder and all it’s sub folders back to normal and get rid of the read only that’s blocking everything. It took about 3 minutes for it to finish all the sub folders but after that my game is downloading fine now. 

Message 9 of 20 (50,862 Views)

★★★ Novice

Doesn't always work. What I found is that if I choose a different location before I agree to the terms and conditions, I can't install. If I agree first, then choose to install to D:\. I have no problems.

Message 10 of 20 (48,930 Views)