Re: Performance issue, very bad FPS and FPS drops

by EA_Najat

Original Post

★★ Apprentice

No, compat mode would not change anything here too.

Perhaps, do you see dwm.exe process spiking up during gameplay too?

I have task manager and a process widget open on second monitor and there is no dwm.exe spike in windows 7.

I'm fighting now with windows 8 bootloader, trying to boot it (do not attempt to install win 7 after win 8 like I did).

Message 171 of 401 (2,408 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Apprentice

Damn...so it looks like Windows 8.1 is not the problem either.

The support on twitter says that this thread has been escelated. So we should get help pretty fast.

*shouts* Hello? Anyone from EA here? *looks arround*

Edit:

Maybe the usage of dwm.exe increases. But in my case there is plenty of unused room on my CPU. And I do have these problems. So that can't be the reason. It could only be the reason if the usage of the CPU gets to much because of the DWM.exe. But thats not the case.

Message 172 of 401 (2,407 Views)

Community Manager (retired)

Indeed Chaz0r - We have forwarded this issue to the team.

We will make sure to update this thread as soon as more information is available.

Message 173 of 401 (2,373 Views)

★★ Novice

I am also haveing the same prob, this game has too many problems, I have two R7850's crossfired and at some places the games frame rate will drop down to about 19-22. it seems like the dev. dont give a damn about the issues with there games because they have left it to the gamers to correct the problems with it. and it seems like every time I play it a new problem shows up and I know its not my hardware cause I can play Battlefield 4 at the highest settings with out any lag

AMD FX8350 8-core black

Asus Crosshair Formula V-Z

32gb memory @1866

2 MSI 7850's in crossfire

Message 174 of 401 (2,364 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

What I noticed that was very strange was even though I was running the x64 version of the game, the process never used more than 3 cores at any time! I have a quad core i7 with hyperthreading (8 virtual cores). Even when I was running in an event with multiple racers and cop cars the maximum load was 43% and only on 3 cores! How can anyone say this game is optimized for a 64 bit OS? Oh, and I also noticed the game never used more that 1.5 Gb of RAM even though I have 8 Gb available.

Message 175 of 401 (2,363 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Apprentice

@eanajat wrote:

Indeed Chaz0r - We have forwarded this issue to the team.

We will make sure to update this thread as soon as more information is available.

Finally!

So just to bring everything to a point:

• Overall framerate is not good. The 30 FPS can't be holden constantly even if the PC is strong enough. Battlefield 4 with the same engine runs fine on max detail.
  • Changing the ingame details doesn't affect the FPS. Better graphics doesn't mean worse performance. Worse details doesn't mean better performance.
  • I even tried 2x downsampling and 2x upscaling. Downsampling made the graphics much better. The performance was exactly the same. The upscaling made the graphics horrible. The performance was the same.
  • There are many locations where the framerate drops to 15-18 FPS. Screenshots are in this thread.
  • Gamespeed is connected to the FPS. 30 FPS = Normal Speed, 60 FPS = twice as fast, drops to 15 FPS = slow motion. So the framerate drops don't just make the game laggy, they let us also play in slow motion.
  • IMPORTANT: The timer of the time trials is not connected to the FPS. The gamespeed is! Using the command which limits the framerate to 60 FPS doubles the gamespeed while the timer runs an normal speed. So we have a build in cheat which gives the player the possibility to do a Time Race with doubled speed!
  • On the other hand the FPS drops are another kick in the as*. For people under 30 FPS it is NOT possible to reach the best time because of the slow motion while the timer runs at normal speed!

Edit @@jjrcng:

I also do have an i7 core. An i7 3770. And my max. CPU usage while playing NFS Rivals is nearly never above 25%. I really do think, that this is really bad. Most of the time more than 2/3 of my CPU is not used!

Message 176 of 401 (2,344 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Apprentice

Yeay!! Someone from EA has mentioned some good news around here!!

@eanajat , can you confirm whether the team is working on a patch or not? If you can tell me this, I am sure many of us would be real happy hearing the team is working on a fix.

Thanks Chaz0r, for summing up all the issues.

Message 177 of 401 (2,314 Views)

★ Novice

I'm also experiencing these random slowdowns on my PC specs - AMD 970 overclocked to 4.0GHz 8GB DDR3 660 Ti should easily run this game....EA SORT THIS OUT! Frown

Message 178 of 401 (2,259 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice

Glad we finally got a reply. I mean, this is only the second game so far to use the Frostbite 3 engine, you think EA would want it to be super optimized so they can have a nice showcase for the their new tech. 20fps on a $500 i7 is not something anyone can get pumped about.

Message 179 of 401 (2,236 Views)

★★ Apprentice

I retract my previous statements. Perhaps I was too sleepy and it was a placebo effect.

The game runs the same in windows 7 as in windows 8. Same scenario - problematic spot just outside garage, 24 - 26 fps. Even worse in other areas, but I took this as measurement point to be precise as possible.

My cpu gets saturated and GPU usage drops down to couple of %. So the game in terms of cpu usage is really next gen on older CPUs Standard smile

It would be nice if they would make it playable on machines as it is stated in minimum requirements.

@chaz0r: I know, some people have those drops regardless if the HW is powerfull enough. With my friends PC it is working well - but please note, I had little time to test and I was driving around lagoon area (around that supermarket, where my rig gets clogged). There werent any fps issues there on his machine, but that doesn't mean there aren't at all since I havent driven that much.

Message 180 of 401 (2,195 Views)