World of CHEL Skater Build Strategy Discussion

by EA_Blueberry

Original Post

Re: World of CHEL Skater Build Strategy Discussion

[ Edited ]
Community Manager

@IceLion68 

I use the tie-up very frequently. The player you're attempting to tie up needs to be almost standing still. I always use the stick tie-up since it's easier than using the body. Intercepting passes hasn't been much of an issue as long as I'm in good position and not making contact with another player. As always, if you have any video of passes you think should be intercepted or any other issues defending in front of the net, we'll review it.

@Sgt_Kelso 

I believe my speed/accel is around 87. I tend to play relatively conservative defense so I'm usually far enough back and don't get beat by those speedy forwards. Not that it never happens though. There are certainly times I get beat, but that's usually from pinching or a bad turnover. Regardless, I'm not saying the system is perfect. I've had to adapt because as you mention, CQ is a dangerous ability as well as the high speed on forwards. This is the first year of this new system so we'll have to see what adjustments are made in the future. The feedback is definitely appreciated.

Aljo.png
Message 41 of 47 (1,764 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

High speed/acceleration is also very hand with forechecking. Often these kind of players are VERY aggressive, counting on three guys swarming on all your passing lines before slow old you can make the pass.

I feel this is way OP considering what tools you have to defend the traditional (real hockey?) way, handling the puck and making passes. No wonder everybody is going for these builds. Best defence is attack?

Message 42 of 47 (1,745 Views)

Community Manager

@Sgt_Kelso 

It's definitely tough going up against high pressure like that. If your teammates are aware of opponents playing that way, they should look for more opportunities to be a good option for a pass. I know I like to try to keep an open lane to myself when I see one of my teammates breaking out so they have another option to move the puck instead of potentially turn it over. There's always the dump and chase as well. So much of this is dependent on chemistry with your teammates.

Aljo.png
Message 43 of 47 (1,739 Views)

Unless you've gone to a minimum 90 speed with elite edges, I wouldn't recommend the dump and chase, at least not in the traditional sense where you want the puck behind the net.

In 3's mode, if the other team has an AI defender it's actually better to chip it to the corner, infront of the red line - the AI for whatever reason always tends to curl back towards the goalie/net in a panic and is prime for a takeaway

CCP Hero Banner - Red.png

Don't be sad, this is just how it works out sometimes
Message 44 of 47 (1,707 Views)

★ Apprentice

Someone needs to explain to me how I have a 90 speed and 88 Acceleration, and a power forward is still out skating me, even gaining distance from me when I chase them using boost? I've checked and a power forward can only get 87 max speed with low weight and low height and this power forward didn't have the low weight or low height. Does speed not matter if you're a shorter build? I'm thinking even a 82 speed but tall build can make up for speed. 

Message 45 of 47 (1,512 Views)

★★★★★ Guide

@ManicX777 wrote:

Someone needs to explain to me how I have a 90 speed and 88 Acceleration, and a power forward is still out skating me, even gaining distance from me when I chase them using boost? I've checked and a power forward can only get 87 max speed with low weight and low height and this power forward didn't have the low weight or low height. Does speed not matter if you're a shorter build? I'm thinking even a 82 speed but tall build can make up for speed. 

There is a video that shows for practical in game purposes there is not a huge difference in speed attributed to height and weight - length of stride perhaps?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGwA8UGSjRw

Message 46 of 47 (1,494 Views)

★ Apprentice

I knew it! Thanks for the video. 

Message 47 of 47 (1,482 Views)