Defensive Tips

by JG_Philosophy

Original Post

Defensive Tips

★ Apprentice

I havent played NHL 22 much this year, I've recently started up again. Compared to NHL 21 Im finding that player movement is much different and poke checks seem to have much less effect. Im just looking for some tips on how to play better defense in the game. I typically play RD in Chel a Defensive Dman build, im really looking for tips to effectively use the poke check and block shots in this years version of the game.

Message 1 of 13 (3,461 Views)

Re: Defensive Tips

Community Manager

Hi there, @JG_Philosophy 

Are you finding that your pokes aren't connecting or are you landing your pokes, but the puck isn't being knocked loose? Sweeping with the defensive skill stick can be good for separating the puck from the carrier better. There also are Superstar abilities that help with stick checking. 

Aljo.png
Message 2 of 13 (3,433 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Guide

@JG_Philosophy wrote:

I havent played NHL 22 much this year, I've recently started up again. Compared to NHL 21 Im finding that player movement is much different and poke checks seem to have much less effect. Im just looking for some tips on how to play better defense in the game. I typically play RD in Chel a Defensive Dman build, im really looking for tips to effectively use the poke check and block shots in this years version of the game.

Ya poke checks IME are not as effective as they once were. It is what it is. That said, positioning seems to be everything in this game so don't ignore attributes like agility and abilities like elite edges for defensemen. Being able to better control where you are with more precision has a LOT more of an impact for a shot block than the actual shot blocking attribute (which according to the description only affects your animation and recovery time apparently). 

As far as poke checking, I find that you have to be patient and wait for the puck/stick to come in your area of effect and time your poke. And never poke check from behind obviously. I find its often more effective to simply hold your DDS out to block the pass or deflect the shot out of play.

Shutdown is a great ability every defensive D build should probably run since it bumps your hitting, shot blocking AND poke checking. And don't let the description fool you: what this game sees as a "one on one" situation is def NOT just breakaways.

Message 3 of 13 (3,232 Views)

Community Manager
@JG_Philosophy

Giving this post a bump to gather more feedback from the community on defensive tips for those that are newer to NHL 22 this year. Thanks for kicking off a great topic!
Blueberry.png
Message 4 of 13 (3,192 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Guide

@EA_Blueberry wrote:
@JG_Philosophy

Giving this post a bump to gather more feedback from the community on defensive tips for those that are newer to NHL 22 this year. Thanks for kicking off a great topic!

Size is the new meta for dmen especially. (NHL 22 TIPS & TACTICS - SPEED OR SIZE)

This is why I think DD is the best all around starting point. Decent size and physicality, great defensive traits and you can nudge the offensive stuff a bit. And if you need speed you *can* get them up to 87 speed and acceleration: tho those don't seem to matter as much as you think (see NHL 22 Skating Speed Tests video) and you may not want to give up those boost slots for that if 85 is high enough and you want to boost something else

To this, I have found that getting in your opponents space/face (hits/bumps, cutting off lanes) seems more effective than stickwork overall. Just me? Otherwise with close quarters and One Tee you are pretty much hosed unless you are on top of your mark.

With X-Factor abilities I think you want to choose those which will activate the most frequently, esp for your zone ability slot:

- Truculence (if you like to hit)

- Shutdown

- Quick Pick

- Elite Edges (always active)

Are excellent

- In Reverse

- No contest 

Are also few good ones.

Would love to hear what others like/use. 

Message 5 of 13 (3,162 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

I don’t know if you are playing 3s or 6s, but here are  6 defensive tips for 3s, some of these will work for both but this is specifically 3s. team defense is the key

1.) it is more important generally to stay in front of your man than it is to take the puck from him. This is true for forechecking as well
2.) don’t pressure too hard out wide or high in the zone. If your man is the puck carrier outside of the dots or above the circles you want to take away his path to the net while if your man does not have the puck you should be defending him from receiving an inside pass. Don’t pressure high or outside unless the puck is loose and you have a chance to get it. 
3.) don’t start jumping out on the rush unless your team has possession with a chance to make a play. 
4) forecheck generally with 1 player, committing 2 players to the forecheck will open you up for odd mans back the other way 

5.) if you’re playing the D position your primary job in the offensive zone  is to make sure no one gets behind you, do not pinch unless you have a teammate covering for you. 
6.) stop the play in the neutral zone, if your forechecker is staying in front of his man, and the other teammates are staying in front of the breaking out players and a pass is made into the neutral zone you’ve now successfully slowed down the rush as it’s 2 on 2 with a 3rd back checking in the play before the third attacker. Proper neutral zone positioning will lead to a lot of turnovers and odd mans. 

Hope this helps any new players. 

Message 6 of 13 (2,862 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

Elite edges it's a must have! Tall defender with speed it's what I found its the most useful class but you can play any class defence stats doesnt matter in this game 

Message 7 of 13 (2,694 Views)

★★★★★ Guide

@amuricafyeh wrote:

Elite edges it's a must have! Tall defender with speed it's what I found its the most useful class but you can play any class defence stats doesnt matter in this game 

Actually this has been bugging me as of late and I have a question for @EA_Blueberry@EA_Aljo  (or other EA staff)

The description of Elite Edges is thus:

• Elite Edges: Exceptional maneuverability with the ability to turn tight corners while retaining high speed; it’s always active, and an indicator is triggered when a defender is burned.

As a DMan I find maintaining position with small movements in front of the net challenging.  A bunch of guys I play with *claim* that Elite Edges helps with this. But based on the description, there is arguably no basis for this belief as it seems to indicate that it really only helps you at "retaining high speed". Is agility what is needed here or does Elite Edges indeed help you with smaller movements?

As an aside: It would be super helpful if the devs could release actual stat based info on what attributes the X-Factors affect (and by how much, like, actual numbers), rather than all the guesswork and experimentation, which is frankly getting a bit old for me.

Message 8 of 13 (2,673 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

Elite edges makes it easier to do smaller movements and easier to push people to the boards 

Message 9 of 13 (2,662 Views)

Community Manager

@IceLion68 

As far as I know, it helps you keep your speed when making tight turns. If I find out any more details on this, I'll update here.

Aljo.png
Message 10 of 13 (2,658 Views)