Is it me or all my sims have been dying of laughter?

by Jan_jan_janggg

Original Post

Re: Is it me or all my sims have been dying of laughter?

Champion
@PugLove888 I hadn't either so I wondered if it's by design or a bug. There was no stopping it with mine I hadn't seen it happen before so didn't take it seriously until poor Saffron face planted on the floor of the honeymoon cottage!
We all like a good laugh so it seems a bit harsh. It's now going to be in the back of my mind the next time I watch The Big Bang Theory!! Don't laugh too much, remember poor Saffron!
I don't work for EA. I'm a Volunteer.
+XP for helpful answers from fellow players.
Accept as Solution helps others find the answer.
Message 11 of 16 (661 Views)

Champion

@simsplayer818 , I know the chance of dying from laughter is intentional, but the recent increases of this kind of death in the game do seem accidental, though I could be wrong.Wondering It does seem that way since I've seen more people mentioning this than they have in the past.  

I did once watch a playthrough of the 100 Baby Challenge years ago (before the game had toddlers) and the YouTuber who was playing had this happen to her matriarch Sim!  So she had to continue the playtrough with her eldest daughter! 😅Back then I think it was considered a rare occurrence! 

This reminds me of a little boy in elementary school that I knew that whenever a bunch of other students laughed a lot, he would say "Don't laugh yourself to death!" in a funny voice, which of course would make everyone laugh more! 🤣  Maybe he now works on the Sims 4!? 😉

CCP Champion Banner - Red.png

Message 12 of 16 (639 Views)

★ Guide

There's definitely been an increase in the frequency and speed of dying of laughter. I'm fine with there being a chance, or it happening if you leave a sim hysterical for too long. But it's become instantaneous. I just had a sim come back from a jog very energized, hop in the shower, and keel over hysterical as soon as he got out. The only other emotional death I've had is when I left a sim mortified for *hours.*

I've had three deaths from laughter in the last week alone. This is more accidental deaths than I've had in the past 20 years of playing The Sims.

Message 13 of 16 (590 Views)

★★★ Novice

It rather puts me off having sims with the goofball trait. My goofball sim stepped out of the shower after having got several happiness emotions after a good woohoo-ing (also her first woohoo which added more happiness), along with some others relating to food. Just having her "Feeling playful" emotion pop up from the trait sent her over the edge into hysteria. I got the sound warning, but only a few seconds after that she was dead and her flatmate's pleas got rejected by the grim reaper.

I quite liked the idea of sims dying of hysteria occasionally, but it seems too much that they can be triggered mainly by happiness and then just one minor playful emotion on top. 

Message 14 of 16 (418 Views)

★★★★ Guide

This happened to me too, and I thought it was weird?

I had two recent near death experiences from hysteria, the first two near-deaths since I stared making my sims read handiness and cooking books before letting them try fixing something and making food back when I was playing Sims 2.

Both times I managed to have a sim give the Grim Reaper a death flower and saved the sim.

First time, I was in the hot springs with a whole family and trying to keep the group in the springs long enough to get the aspiration goal. I had the family socializing amongst themselves, telling jokes and funny stories. One of the parent sims left the tub and keeled over. It took me by surprise, because it happened fast. I honestly didn't notice he had become hysterical. He was 'very playful' when I was queuing jokes and stories seconds before he dropped.

Second time, I had just added an elder mother to one of my favorite single sim's household, to look after the dog while he goes to the jungle. Since butlers don't feed pets, and pet dishes are treated like dirty dishes and disappear from inventory, or from the ground if they're placed off-lot, it means dog friends can't come to the jungle unless it's an in-and-out-in-a-day visit (YES I'm still whining about this and I won't miss a chance to bring it up). My sims like to spend way longer than a day.

They sleep outside, wait in the jungle for the temple to reset, swim, fish, excavate, dig, and look for those rare objects. You know how it is. The jungle is fun.

2023-04-13 (7).png

It was a good thing, because my sim was very happy, went for a hike in the Snowy Escape world alone, encountered a forest spirit, made a wish, got a playful moodlet, which tipped him straight into hysteria. I quit the game and saved it at that point.

Next time I played, my sim instantly fell over. I brought my new mom sim and the dog to the lot, had Mom transportlate straight to my sim, and had her give Death a flower.

I'm not really complaining, I'm actually enjoying it, because I'm exploring the Sims more, and I have ROM, so, for me, having my sims be so close to death is a welcome challenge. I'm kind of looking forward to it happening again, tbh, and this time I might let my sim die?

My biggest worry is that a single sim might die, and their gravestone might not persist off-lot long enough for another ROM sim from a different household to get to it, and I worry that a resurrected sim might be buggy, lose their skills and earned traits, or lose access to their lot and possessions.

But it is weird to have so many ways for a sim to have so many ways to get hysterical and have them die irl seconds afterward, and I can see how it's not fair or much fun, for players who don't have ROM.

Message 15 of 16 (405 Views)

Champion

@Crayola4321 thanks for sharing your story about this!  Sounds like movie!  Sims explores on a vacation, meets a spirit, becomes happy and silly, dies, Spellcaster relative saves day by teleporting and giving the Grim Reaper a mysterious flower, reviving the exploring Sim!  I would watch that in a TV show or a movie! 😀🤣  And thank you for suggesting a workaround for those who have ROM!  

CCP Champion Banner - Red.png

Message 16 of 16 (316 Views)