Original Post

[READ FIRST] Cheat console doesn't open

[ Edited ]
Hero

Index

Introduction

The Cheat Console doesn't open

Introduction

Cheats are commonly used in the Sims games and as it's a single player game, you can do so at your heart's content. Some cheats are also used to fix issues. 

To open the Cheat Console, press CTL-SHIFT-C and then type the required cheat into the text console that appears in the upper left corner.

cehat.png

There are a few reasons why the cheat console doesn't open as it should.

The tips below are for Windows, if you have issues on other platforms, please use the threads below

Console: FAQ - Sims 4 Console Cheats

Mac: 🛠️ Opening the Sims 4 cheat console on Mac

For help with individual cheats, please use this thread: [FAQ] Common Issues with Cheats

The Cheat Console doesn't open

A few tips if you can't get the cheat console to open. Please post in the thread if these don't help.

• Make sure you use the correct key combination (CTL-SHIFT-C).
  • Make sure that no screenshot or other program is running in the back that uses the same key combination like Gyazo. Especially HP computers tend to have pre-installed software that conflict with the cheat shortcut. Make sure to disable those background programs.
  • If you have an AMD graphics Card, check on the settings to check if something else is assigned to the short-cut
  • Make sure that the game is the active window, especially when playing in windowed mode.
  • Try CTL-Shift--C instead (Windows Only)
  • When in build/buy mode, make sure your cursor is not in the search field
  • Reset all settings. To do so follow these steps:
    • Close the game.
    • Move this file to the desktop: Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 4\Options(.ini).
    • Start the game.
    • The file will be recreated.
    • Unfortunately this will reset all your graphics settings and similar as well and you need to re-set them.
    • Test if the console appears.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 159 of 166 (602 Views)

Re: [FAQ] How to use Cheats ?

★★ Novice

I had this problem.  Used the CTRL+SHIFT+(WindowsStartKey)+C .. that did open up the cheats.  Now in case you find that more annoying to use like I did, the other thread had the problem listed in the AMD Relive update where it used the CTRL+SHIFT+C for it.  If you go to settings, unbind or change that key combo, the regular cheat combo in Sims 4 will work again.  To change it like I did, just right click on your desktop, go to AMD settings.  From that window, go to relive and find the culprit keybinding and just change it to something you don't use.  After that, problem will be fixed. 

Message 1 of 166 (47,063 Views)

Re: [FAQ] How to use Cheats ?

★★ Apprentice

Thanks for the helpful thread. I couldn't figure out why the cheat console wouldn't open when I was trying to use moveobjects. AMD was using that binding for another function that I never use anyway. I was able to disable the AMD setting so I can build the way I wanted. I appreciate the information.

Message 2 of 166 (47,035 Views)

Cheat dialogue box does not open or appear when doing the command

★ Apprentice

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What is your current game version number? 1.62.67.1020
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? All except: My First Pet, Moschino and Tiny Living
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Try and open the cheat dialogue box
What happens when the bug occurs? The dialogue box does not open or appear
What do you expect to see? The dialogue box does not open or appear when doing Control, Shift and C.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Not now. I've removed them.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Neutral/Not Sure 

Its been a while since I used cheats (or played the game) but every time when I opened the cheat dialogue box (or attempt), it does not appear and I tried it in Live Mode, Build and Buy (with Sims there or not) and nothing seems to be working. My keyboard is fine and I have checked the Mods that I have and even removing them all or ones I have recently downloaded, made no difference.

Message 3 of 166 (46,812 Views)

Re: Cheat dialogue box does not open or appear when doing the command

★ Apprentice

It actually works if I add the Windows key to the command, but I am not sure why it does not work as it normally does with the original command. Thank you for the help and for sending me a link to another thread. 

Message 4 of 166 (46,788 Views)

Re: Cheat dialogue box does not open or appear when doing the command

Hero
@thekc On some computers it seems the Windows Key is needed. Not sure why.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.

Important Threads

Message 5 of 166 (3,459 Views)

I can't get the cheat command window to open.

★★★ Novice

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What is your current game version number? version 1.65.77.
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? All
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? I'm honestly not sure how to get others to experience this bug. I have been searching high and low to see if anyone else experiences it but haven't seen anything.
What happens when the bug occurs? Whenever I use the shift + ctrl + c to open the cheat menu it takes screenshots instead. I can't figure out how to change this; I am honestly unsure if its 100% a bug or a settings issue. I have tried to uninstall/repair/and even unplug/replug in my keyboard and still get the same issue. And yes I have tried to recreate this without mods installed and I still get the error. I do not have this issue with Sims 3 on the otherhand.
What do you expect to see? Whenever I hit shift cntl c to open the cheat bar the game isntead takes screenshots.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Not now. I've removed them.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Yes
Please describe the patch or change you made. After the recent bug patch fix for version 1.65.77.

I have uploaded an image of the notification I get when trying to open the cheat command bar

Message 6 of 166 (3,351 Views)

Re: I can't get the cheat command window to open.

Hero
@TeraoXGuro Merged your post with the Cheat FAQ Thread

Could you try all the suggestions in the first post.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

Important Threads

Message 7 of 166 (3,341 Views)

★★★ Novice

Yes I HAVE tried all options. This is a bug thats effecting gameplay.

Message 8 of 166 (3,333 Views)

Hero
@TeraoXGuro As screen shots are taken by pressing c it's like the game doesn't recognize the ctl-shift for you and only does what c does.

Usually pressing also the Windows key solves that but since you tried that, I don't know what other suggestions could help.

I assume if you just press c you see get the same message for taking a screenshot ?

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

Important Threads

Message 9 of 166 (3,314 Views)