Re: Grid Legends VR: has anyone tried using the motion controls in a wheel stand

by xXDannyDieHardXx

Original Post

Grid Legends VR: has anyone tried using the motion controls in a wheel stand?

★★ Novice

Has anyone played any Quest racing game already using Quest controllers in a wheel stand (like Nintendo Wii wheel stands)?

I haven't seen any wheel stand being sold yet for Quest (if there are, please share), but I'm guessing it could be achieved with even some cardboard or 3d printed wheel stand.

Is anyone using the motion controls option in Grid Legends VR at all? Do you maybe have some tricks to share how you made it work better?

Message 1 of 5 (1,365 Views)

Re: Grid Legends VR: has anyone tried using the motion controls in a wheel stand

★★★ Newbie

I velcro-taped my Quest controllers to an old driving wheel I had laying around as an experiment

I velcro-taped my right-controller to in such a way that I can hold the wheel and still access the trigger... I've set the right controller to motion controls. The left controller can just be held onto the wheel, so I can access the trigger to brake.... it doesn't need to be attached though, since it's not tracking motion.

Several considerations/issues:

- The motion controls only work while you're holding the grip button, and actually the controller re-calibrates it's orientation every time you release and engage the grip button. Since I can't hold the wheel, trigger, and grip button all at once, I've used some velcro-tape to hold down the grip button... but this has to be done AFTER you're in the race, and while the wheel is perfectly zeroed out... it's VERY fiddly to get it set up right, but once you're in the race it works reasonable well. After the race ends, the grip button is used to toggle menus, so the game totally freaks out until you remove the velcro tape to release the grip button.

- There's a setting that controls the linearity of the steering. I set that to zero and it works reasonably well.

- I can get the in-game wheel to mimic my real-life movements nearly 1:1... at slow speeds. The game seems to lower the steering intensity dramatically as you get to higher speeds though (I guess to help you avoid turning too hard at high speed?), so you have to remember to compensate for that... at high speeds, it takes much larger motions to move the wheel small amounts.

- Geez I'd love to be able to rig up some kind of foot pedals. Maybe there's a way to map the gas and brake to the trigger & grip buttons on the left controller? Then I could rig something up to try to push them with my feet.

Anyways, I'd love to see someone release an actual driving wheel made for this. Driving games on Quest would be sweet with proper driving controls.

Message 2 of 5 (911 Views)

★★ Novice
@dgkcwdtjfl1x awesome, thanks for sharing!
Message 3 of 5 (906 Views)

★★★ Novice

Wait so u steer the car by just turning the wheel? 

Message 4 of 5 (638 Views)

★★★ Novice

Bro I been bought this game for my quest 2 when it came out on February,  I have written to meta about it and they said unfortunately there is none , so i tried for them to send it to mark see if he commission's the project but never heard back , I wrote to Logitech G to see if they are willing to rollout an update or to make one for the quest and no word man , now I sold the 2 and have the quest 3 and still they haven't done anything , worth noting is that ea and codemasters have done absolutely nothing to add quest on their servers as a platform so we can't track our progress here on ea nor can we use racenet on codemasters , neither one of them has done so and they duck my question on x formerly Twitter eahelp just stopped answering my messages, it's bullsht to be honest,   especially coming from the owners mark and who ever owns ea and codemasfers cause if they were in the talks about releasing a vr racing game, me for one I would have a checklist of things it must have , #1 would have been since it's vr and we will be inside the car then we need a racing wheel and pedals with optional shifter , and if the wheel is out then hand tracking to use the virtual steering wheel and shifter , like in the flying games I play , ultra wings 2 and battle of Atlantic War planes I steer the plane by the stick I use the throttle landing gear up down gas pump engine start flaps ,and #2 rear mirror must work and be adjustable #3 side mirror must work , # seat belts and so I feel like codemaster rushed the game it like they were either lazy af to do some research and ask for guidance or just to proud thinking they can make it on their own and have a hit game,  but I'm betting it's they were lazy since they have not added oculus as a platform , and if any of yall from codemasters reads this , yall are lazy and lied about reading and answering all ur feedback , not once has any of yall answered my feedbacks nor my request to add oculus on racenet , sorry for writing a book, but I love this game and it could have been a million times better , 

Message 5 of 5 (637 Views)

ea-play-promo-splash

What's EA Play?

New name, new look, same great benefits: EA Access and Origin Access are now EA Play.

Get more info on the change here.

ea-help-promo-3

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View more on EA Help