The "Unbalanced Leagues" problem

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

Product: FIFA 20
Platform:Sony Playstation 4
What is your gamertag/PSN ID? L4r14m
Which mode has this happened in? Career Mode
Which part of the mode? Career mode - manager
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? You can simply simulate any career and see how the league tables develop.
What happens when the bug occurs? The best teams in the leagues lose very little points. Liverpool, Barcelona, and PSG, say, systematically get over 100 points and may easily go unbeaten for the entire season. But this also applies more generally, to any league. The best teams lose very little points; the worst teams might barely gain any.
What should be happening instead? The league tables should be more realistic.

The league tables are completely unrealistic in that the best teams (in any league) tend to lose very little points while the worst teams may have trouble acquiring points. It is perhaps unclear whether this is a bug in itself, but this is, at the very least, a very problematic feature in the game, and this may also be due to bugs relating, e.g., to how the injuries, stamina, and player rotation work.

This is a problem for a number of reasons.

First, it is just bad that the game is unrealistic in this respect. Second, and more importantly, this tends to make the CM pointless. For instance, many players, quite naturally, wish to compete for the league titles. But given the way the game presently works, you'll only have a realistic chance at the title if you do unrealistically well in the league. That is, if you play on a difficulty level that makes the game too easy. In case one pursues an enjoyable, realistic level of difficulty, one will, as a result, tend to lose one's chances at winning the title. For similar reasons, it's really hard to successfully fight for promotion, if you're starting in a lower league. Correspondingly, it's a little too easy to avoid relegation, if you're playing the underdog, and so on. Thirdly, this just tends to make the leagues unexciting. (There is, perhaps, a regrettable tendency toward this in the real game, too. Teams such as PSG or Juve tend to do really well, and to leave the competition far behind during the season. But this isn't true across the different leagues, and the game now is, in any case, far worse than the reality, in this respect.) There should be tight races for the titles/promotions; there should be the occasional surprise in store for us. The league tables are now really predictable and thus boring.

There is room for sensible debate about the details of how this should work. But as things stand, the game is clearly getting things wrong. In this way, the problem is clearly bug-ish.

Why is this happening? I don't know. But presumably this has to do with the way the game handles player rotation, stamina issues, and injuries. So, one thing that seems to contribute to this is that the CPU teams/players are incredibly fresh and seem to have really good stamina. As a result, there is no pressure toward rotation. Similarly for the lack of injuries. And I'd imagine that there must be something funny going on with the player rotation, too. I'm well aware that the developers have attempted to fix earlier problems with this, by having the teams play their best starting 11s. But clearly this needs fine-tuning, at the very least. To me it makes no sense that the teams always seem to be playing their strongest starting 11s. In the not so important matches (e.g., the friendlies at the start of the season, or at least some of the cup matches), chances should be given to the youngsters. The most important players should often be saved for more important games, and protected from possible injuries.

Message 1 of 105 (3,832 Views)

Re: The "Unbalanced Leagues" problem

★★★★ Apprentice

True, this needs to be sorted soon because it's almost new year and we can't start a normal Career Mode save.

Message 2 of 105 (3,788 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

Excelent explanation. This vídeo (in portuguese, but very easy to understand) shows this terrible mistake. Wake up!!

https://youtu.be/VvxY6P-Z78w

Message 3 of 105 (3,769 Views)

★★ Guide

We are waiting for a response as is for this bug and count on me to relaunch you every 2 days if we have no response. This bug is very annoying

Message 4 of 105 (3,757 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

Since the launch of FIFA 20, career mode has been unplayable. First we had the issue with the top teams relegating, then the fix for it turned the top teams invincible. This completely destroys the career mode experience, it's unrealistic to have teams like PSG, Bayern, Manchester City  winning the league with 38 wins out of 38 matches. It is also impossible to understand how such a defect gets into the release, considering that it takes you 15 minutes to simulate a season and notice that all top teams are not loosing any points. What is worst about it is that we have no communication from EA if the bug is prioritized into the backlog or a potential date for a fix. I am working in the software industry and I can tell you that if this happened in my team, we all would have found ourselves without a job. It is unacceptable to have a major feature of your product broken 3 months in a row after it reached production.

Message 5 of 105 (3,748 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice

very true

Message 6 of 105 (3,742 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Guide

- Without forgetting the bug of premier league the logo which appears on the 2 sleeves of the jersey

- The national anthems which also bugs in world cup and competitions like the euro

- And to come back to the main bug ie the bugs teams that make more than 100 pts. I feel like there is something more behind this bug. it looks like the AI-controlled team never gets tired even during the game. And I can tell you when you play in Legend Difficulty against a strong team its really not easy to defend. At the start of the match its normal the players are cool and everything but at almost the end of the match you see a player making a last acceleration as if he had just entered the field and outdistancing all the defense I find his really strong So EA get to work because at this rate your game does not event deserve Copa libertadores Here I am finished 😅If I made mistakes I apologize I am French

Message 7 of 105 (3,716 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice

Yeah i thought the same, if they had fatigue they'd rotate more and lose more games naturally.

Message 8 of 105 (3,653 Views)

★ Guide

Yup. And of course they should suffer from fatigue anyway. So it’s another problem, but fixing one might indeed help to fix the other.

Message 9 of 105 (3,625 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice

This needs to be prioritised over any other fixes, CM is unplayable. I wouldn't have bought the game had I known it would be like this. Genuinely feel cheated because I only buy the game for CM. The mistakes are bad but the lack of dev communication is unforgivable - genuine lack of respect for the consumers.

Message 10 of 105 (3,624 Views)
Twitter Stream