[OPEN] Sims keep holding invisible book after putting it down

by Trehpike

Original Post

Accepted Solution

[OPEN] Sims keep holding invisible book after putting it down

[ Edited ]
★★★ Apprentice

Sims 4, sim reads a book, puts book down on table, floor, book shelf, etc. appears to be holding the book in an empty hand. Cannot do any other actions that require that hand or two hands such as washing dishes or cooking. Sim will sleep with one hand appearing to be holding the book. Sim will shower with one hand appearing to hold the book. Go to the bathroom and appears to be holding the book. Hand is empty book is where the sim set it down. If I manually put the book away the sim still appears to be holding the book. Occurs with or without mods. Male or female characters. Different house holds, different careers, different game saves, happens in all. Must reset the sim in order for the hand to go back to normal. Until reset any action requiring both hands are aborted. Sim will go to work still holding the imaginary book. Cannot eat, drink water, and in some cases open doors while holding the imaginary book. Must reset the sims manually. Complete Sims 4 game install. With latest updates and Spa Day Patch. Windows 10, full update, Nvidia 750, full update game ready updated, 18 gig ram, 18 TB hard drive space, octa-core, 4.2 GHz, 5.1 surround, 3 monitors, HD. Stranger Ville, Military Career level 8. Image shows Sim with hand holding imaginary book. Book on the floor.

Edit By Crinrict: Adjusted Title to better reflect the issue 

Edit by trehki. Sorry I did figure out the issue was the bookcase on top of the sims dresser. Sold existing one and purchased a new one problem solved. I guess I never looked back. 

Edit By Crinrict: Added Tag to Title

Message 1 of 5 (3,935 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: put book down appears to

Hero

@Trehpike 

The hand thing you are seeing usually happens when there is no accessible bookcase or a storage chest/box nearby.  I see no bookcase object in your pic.  If you are using one of the small surface mounted bookcases (looks like a row of books with bookends) and it is sitting on something like a dresser, you might get the hand thing and a routing error because you can put those small ones in places where sims cannot put books back in them.  Those don't work right on every surface like dressers and some desks for some reason.  You can get books out but not put them in.  As you said, you can reset the sim to get the empty hand thing to go away but you can also travel or save and quit and reload the save.

Hope this helps.

View in thread

Message 2 of 5 (3,900 Views)

All Replies

Hero

@Trehpike 

The hand thing you are seeing usually happens when there is no accessible bookcase or a storage chest/box nearby.  I see no bookcase object in your pic.  If you are using one of the small surface mounted bookcases (looks like a row of books with bookends) and it is sitting on something like a dresser, you might get the hand thing and a routing error because you can put those small ones in places where sims cannot put books back in them.  Those don't work right on every surface like dressers and some desks for some reason.  You can get books out but not put them in.  As you said, you can reset the sim to get the empty hand thing to go away but you can also travel or save and quit and reload the save.

Hope this helps.

Message 2 of 5 (3,901 Views)

★★★★ Guide
@CGrant56 Its even funnier when a kid does it, they litterly stretch themselves out to put books away especially if bookshelf is adult heights.
Message 3 of 5 (3,893 Views)

Hero
@Trehpike Could you please edit your post and fill out the bug form ? Seems you weren't prompted for it.

Editing should help with that.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 4 of 5 (3,877 Views)

Re: [OPEN] Sims keep holding invisible book after putting it down

★★ Novice

I have been having this glitch every time they read a book.  They set it on the floor, then can't go to bed.

What fixes this, is to get in build/buy and pick the book up and set it back down.  Fixed.

Then you can reshelf the book in Live mode.

Message 5 of 5 (648 Views)