by JonaO703

Original Post

[OPEN] Write Song / Book / Lyrics Loses Progress

[ Edited ]
Champion

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What is your current game version number? 1.90.358.1030
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? All packs and kits except High School Years and Bust the Dust.
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Have a musician sim begin writing a song. Then, travel to another lot or exit the game and reopen. Click the sheet music in inventory to resume writing.
What happens when the bug occurs? After traveling to a new lot, progress for writing the song has been lost / reset to zero.
What do you expect to see? Progress for writing a song should be saved until the song is completed, regardless of travel or any other circumstance.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Not now. I've removed them.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Neutral/Not Sure 

I first noticed this issue after the latest update.  However, it's been a while since I had a sim write any songs.  So I don't know if it was happening before the update.  Since it was a modded game, I removed mods and deleted the localthumbcache.package file.  The issue persisted in the clean game, as well as a New Save without mods.  I tested writing songs on the guitar, piano and violin in the New Save and also two books (Children's and Short Story).  I tested writing lyrics only on the guitar. 

The below video was taken from the first unmodded save; note the "items removed" message upon arrival to the new lot.  The video shows "write song" progress at one location that is lost after traveling.  I can share either save if needed.  I do not have a video for the books and lyrics writing but both behave in the same manner.  I did test them along with the song writing in the New Save.

https://youtu.be/NLrLj4p9b-M

Thank  you!

Edit By Crinrict: Adjusted title to include all transitions

CCP Champion Banner - Blue.png

Please help other players:
Add XP to posts you think are helpful.
Click Accept As Solution for posts that resolve your issue.
Happy Simming!

Message 1 of 105 (19,036 Views)

Re: Write Song / Book / Lyrics Loses Progress After Traveling / Exiting Game

★★★★ Guide

Platform: PC(Win10,Origin)
Which language are you playing the game in?: English
How often does the bug occur?: Every time(100%)
What is your current game version number?: 1.90.358.1030
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed?: All EP except HSY / GPs - OR,SD,VMP,PTH,JA,SV,DHD,WW / SPs - BS,VGS,TS,LDS,MS,TLS,PS, / ILK
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves?: Write song & travel
What happens when the bug occurs?: Write song progress loses after move
What do you expect to see?: If the sim move, the preogress doesn't lose
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods?; Never used
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system?: After Latest patch (07/26/'22)

It happened in my data too about write song.

before travel

2022y07m31d_before-travel (2).jpg

after travel

2022y07m31d_after-move-to-Grimtooth Bar.jpg

stop write song

2022y07m31d_stop-write-song-at-GrimtoothBar.jpg

after came home

2022y07m31d_after-came-home.jpg

Message 2 of 105 (18,931 Views)

Writing book progress not saved.

★★★ Guide

If I leave writing a book for any reason, like my siim has to go to the bathroom or gets zooped away to prom, when I come back to resume writing the book, the progress hasn't been saved and they start writing it from the beginning again. 

Message 3 of 105 (18,934 Views)

Re: Writing book progress not saved.

Hero
@vyvexthorne I merged your post with the bug report on this.

Please click me too on the first post.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 4 of 105 (18,902 Views)

Champion

@vyvexthorneHello!  You mentioned your sim went to the bathroom and then resumed writing.  Could you verify that you are seeing progress reset if you cancel writing but stay on the lot?  I'm only seeing the progress reset if my sim travels to another lot or when I exit the game.

CCP Champion Banner - Blue.png

Please help other players:
Add XP to posts you think are helpful.
Click Accept As Solution for posts that resolve your issue.
Happy Simming!

Message 5 of 105 (18,870 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Guide

Hi @JonaO703:
I tried to verify this issue about write book. I can confirm.
And I noticed one thing about write book. That is "can't finish to write book" issue may be occurring at the same time.
https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/NEEDS-SAVES-Sim-Unable-to-Finish-Writing-Book/td-p/9370523
In fact, in my data, it happened when sim came home.
But it is discernible by icon. Whether you realize it or not.

This issue's icon

2022y08m03d_015424121 _ResetProgressIcon.jpg

"Can't finish" icon

2022y08m03d_063239275_CantFinishToWriteBookIcon.jpg

Edit(adding):

And this issue also happened in playing only base game. So I can assure that this issue not dependent on any DLC.

Message 6 of 105 (18,798 Views)

Entering CAS reset song writing progress

★★★★★ Apprentice

Platform:Sony Playstation 4
How often does the bug occur? Often (50% - 99%)
What is your current game version number? 1.62
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? Non
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Step 1: A Sim must be high enough music skill to be able to write a song Step 2: Have you Sim start writing a song Step 3: Have the Sime resume the writing the song by using the sheet music in the inventory Step 4: Enter Create a Sim ether from the Simology menu or have another Sim to to the Mirror and select Change Sim
What happens when the bug occurs? The written music will have whatever time was spent writing the song set to zero and the music will still take the full amount of time to write despite having already been worked on.
What do you expect to see? Have Music retain its progress reagardless of weather or not the player enters Create a Sim
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? On console - never used.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Neutral/Not Sure 

I noticed this the other day when playing after choose to alter one of my Sims voices. Previously my Sim had been about two thirds of the way though writing a song and should have only needed the rest of the day to finish writing. After finishing the day I realized the song was not even half way composed. I loaded a back up and played though the day again to see if I was going crazy and my sim easily finished the song with several hours left in his day. Knowing that CAS is notorious for triggering bugs when used during active play I tested a couple more time and two of the three additional test runs my Sim lost all progress on the current song

Message 7 of 105 (18,543 Views)

Re: Entering CAS reset song writing progress

★ Guide

I am having the issue if I travel, if I exit the game and reenter, if I stop to do another task. Every time I do something and go back to writing lyrics/writing songs (I've been trying to do both). I'm on PS5. All packs and kits. No mods or CC of course. 

Message 8 of 105 (18,089 Views)

Re: [OPEN] Write Song / Book / Lyrics Loses Progress

★★★★ Apprentice

This is a very frustrating bug and I hope it's fixed by the next patch. My sims shouldn't have to be on house arrest just because one of them is writing a song.

Message 9 of 105 (17,862 Views)

One Sim Always Lose Progress with Writing/Programming

★★ Apprentice

Platform:PC
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What is your current game version number? PC: 1.91.205.1020
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? Seasons (EP), Cats & Dogs (EP), Holiday Kit (Free Stuff), Desert Luxe Kit (Free Stuff)
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? One specific Sim writes a book (any genre), song (any genre) or program an app or video game. Then Sim travels, or quit the game. Click Resume writing/programming - he starts writing/programming from the beginning.
What happens when the bug occurs? This Sim always loses his progress when he resumes writing a book, song or programming an app or video game after he travels, or when I quit the game. When he resumes writing/programming - he starts from the beginning.
What do you expect to see? Progress should be kept when this Sim resumes writing/programming, i.e. not start over again.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Not now. I've removed them.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Yes
Please describe the patch or change you made. This appeared when I first installed my first expansion pack - Seasons.

I say specific Sim because his spouse doesn't have this problem! I already reset this Sim (via testingcheats on - Reset Object). What I'm doing now is the workaround i.e. writing/programming in one instance of the game, without traveling. Obviously this is not a solution of the bug, and nearly impossible for writing songs and programming app or video game since those take a long time!

Message 10 of 105 (17,830 Views)