by simvasion

Original Post

[OPEN] [CoL] Growth fertilizers are not consumed and have no effect on crops

[ Edited ]
Champion

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What is your current game version number? 1.78.58.1030
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? All
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Obtain Hyper Growth Fertilizer or Minor Growth Fertilizer either through normal Cottage Living gameplay or direct from Debug Build/Buy. Attempt to use it to fertilize growing oversized crops.
What happens when the bug occurs? The can of fertilizer will pop back into your inventory without being consumed and the plants will not be fertilized (they don't have the swirling glow indicating that they've been fertilized).
What do you expect to see? The fertilizer should be consumed on use, just like all the other types of fertilizer are, and they should have some kind of effect as described on your plants, i.e. they boost growth chances for larger crops.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Not now. I've removed them.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? No

As far as I can tell, it's been like this since the launch of Cottage Living.

When I examined the tuning files for the fertilize action, there are effects outcomes described for every type of fertilizer except for the Minor Growth and Hyper Growth. There's nothing listed for them at all, which is why the game ignores them because it can't find what it's supposed to do and they don't have any function at all.

It's almost like they were missed out as an oversight?

If anyone on PC/Mac is ok with mods, I've put up a fix for this on my mod site, which you can find linked in the pinned suggested game fixing mods thread. Since there's no info about them in the tuning files, I tried to guess what they should do based on their catalogue description and made them incrementally boost the chance of growing large size/weight crops when used. This is because the other fertilizers are vitality (increase quality and health), grow fast (increase crop speed of growth) and hassle-free (reduce need for maintenance). So I figured the missing effect of these growth fertilizers should be to increase crop size and weight.

Edit By Crinrict: Added Tag to Title, Adjusted Title to fit

Message 1 of 11 (5,173 Views)

Re: [OPEN] [CoL] Growth fertilizers are not consumed and have no effect on crops

★★ Pro

I can confirm this. Don't know why I couldn't Me too this post since today was the first time I've ever encountered the bug.. Not sure if I'm imagining things but I never see those fertilizers sold at the stalls so I think I got some from an errand or something. Anyways, thank you Simvasion for all the hard work you do to make the game better/playable!

Message 2 of 11 (3,913 Views)

Re: [OPEN] [CoL] Growth fertilizers are not consumed and have no effect on crops

★ Apprentice

I just encountered it for the first time today. One by one, I'm unable to fertilize my oversize crops. I've tried moving them, deleting the plot and the crop, and replacing, but it keeps happening.

Message 3 of 11 (3,406 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Pro

@luxexnocteAnd it will never work until this is fixed. As Simvasion described in his post, the tuning files are lacking for the fertilizer effects so this is a bug that was there right from release day. It will not work until those tuning files are fixed. I hope this will be fixed in a patch soon or maybe even just an SDX drop as it seems to be a very small change that needs to be done.

Message 4 of 11 (3,367 Views)

Hyper Growth Fertilizer on Oversized Crop

★★★ Apprentice

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What is your current game version number? 1.93.146.1020
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? All without mods
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Cottage living: Plant an oversized crop
What happens when the bug occurs? If the sim has Hyper Growth Fertiliser in inventory, the sim can fertilise the oversized crop with it but after fertilizer is applied it does not indicate that the plant has been fertilised and it does not decrease the amount of fertiliser in inventory. It can then be fertilised many more times using the same fertiliser over and over again.
What do you expect to see? Using Hyper Growth Fertiliser on oversized crops behaves like all other fertilisers: indicating it has been fertilised, decreasing the amount of fertiliser in the inventory and applying the properties of the fertiliser to the plant. It should not allow for more fertilisers until X time has passed.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Not now. I've removed them.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Neutral/Not Sure 

Cottage living: Plant an oversized crop, If the sim has Hyper Growth Fertiliser in inventory, the sim can fertilise the oversized crop with it but after fertilizer is applied it does not indicate that the plant has been fertilised and it does not decrease the amount of fertiliser in inventory. It can then be fertilised many more times using the same fertiliser over and over again.

Message 5 of 11 (3,123 Views)

★ Guide

I can fertilize my crops, for the most part. The fertilizer is consumed and they get the sparkling effect to show they were fertilized. But the Hassle Free Fertilizer does NOT work correctly. It actually seems to have the opposite effect. Whenever I put that on a crop - it's covered in bugs and weeds the next day.

Message 6 of 11 (2,261 Views)

★ Guide

I don't even have the fertilizer as an option despite having it in my inventory.  I had green peppers in my inventory and that was all it was offering me to fertilize with.  I ended up just selling the fertilizer since it was useless.  

Message 7 of 11 (2,253 Views)

★★★★ Guide
@ChelleBelle716 Just like it said hassle free.
Message 8 of 11 (2,245 Views)

★★★★ Guide
@CathieCMR Usually it will work after watering, they don't work right after you plant them. When the crops show up is when you can use those fertilizers, but spray for bugs and water first.
Message 9 of 11 (2,243 Views)

★ Guide
@Sid1701d9 I'll have to see if that helps with anything. Normally, I did all of that first. Plants were already planted and growing.
Message 10 of 11 (2,231 Views)