by dirty_milos

Original Post

[OPEN] [CoL] Can't cook on campfire when simple living applied

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Newbie

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:Mac
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What is your current game version number? 1.77.146.1230
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? Dream Home Decorator, Snowy Escape, Nifty Knitting, Eco Lifestyle, Tiny Living, Discover University, Realm of Magic, Moschino, Island Living, StrangerVille, Get Famous, Seasons, My First Pet Stuff, Jungle Adventure, Laundry Day, Cats and Dogs, Toddler Stuff, Fitness Stuff, Parenthood, Bowling Night, Vampires, Vintage Glamour, City Living, Backyard Stuff, Kids Room Stuff, Dine Out, Romantic Garden, Movie Hangout, Get Together, Spooky Stuff, Cool Kitchen, Perfect Patio, Get to Work, Outdoor Retreat
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Turn on the simple living lot challenge and click on a campfire. There is no option to cook anything other than marshmallows. (even when the sim has a fish in their inventory)
What happens when the bug occurs? There is no option to cook anything in the sim's inventory (eg. a fish) on a campfire when the simple living lot challenge is applied.
What do you expect to see? An option to cook something that is in the sim's inventory when you click on the campfire.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Not now. I've removed them.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Neutral/Not Sure 

There is no option to cook anything in the sim's inventory (eg. a fish) on a campfire when the simple living lot challenge is applied.

Edit By Crinrict: Added Tag to Title

Message 1 of 12 (7,375 Views)

Re: Can't cook on campfire when simple living applied

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Expert

Ditto, but I'm on PC. 

We were discussing off-the-grid cooking over in the General Feedback section, and.... yeah.  One person was surprised that you can cook over a campfire, while I was surprised that they couldn't! 

With the Simple Living lot challenge:

Without the Simple Living lot challenge:

(She doesn't have a fish or beetles in her inventory, so those options are grayed out.)

I'd expect the Simple Living lot challenge to prohibit marshmallows but allow my Sim to roast fish or beetles from her inventory. Judging by the feedback thread, Off-the-grd/Simple Living people would love to be able to cook over a campfire, but are locked out.  Frown

Message 2 of 12 (7,247 Views)

Re: [OPEN] [CoL] Can't cook on campfire when simple living applied

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

This bug is still an issue, I have it as it appears. The "Roast" option isn't there when Simple Living is applied, only the option to grill marshmellows.The bug appears regardless of Simple Living is combined with Off the Grid or not and on both of the campfires, but not on a grill.

This bug wasn't an issue before Cottage Living since I played with a history legacy challege a few month ago and essentially only fed my Sims with grilled fish they caught for themselves and didn't encounter any problems with roasting on the campfire.

I currently play on a freshly factory reset game with no mods installed and a completely fresh save (because I am investiating another Cottage Living related bug), when I encountered this one. I have all of the Expansion Packs and Game Packs besides Journey to Batu.

So in case there is a save needed to investigate, I have one.

Message 3 of 12 (6,478 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice

I have returned to The Sims 4 after a year or so just for an idea to purchase and play Cottage Living off the grid and with simple living. I wanted to roast fish on rocks of fire, but I have discovered that there is no option to roast a fish on rocks of fire.

Message 4 of 12 (6,262 Views)

[OR][CoL] Can't Grill Fish with Simple Life Lot Challenge

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Pro

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? Svenska
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What is your current game version number? 1.89.214.1030
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? All except Dream Home Decorator, My First Pet Stuff, and kits
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Have a campfire, a fish in your sim's inventory, Off the Grid lot challenge, and Simple Life lot challenge.
What happens when the bug occurs? Can't grill the fish with Simple Life lot challenge.
What do you expect to see? Possibility to grill fish with Simple Life lot challenge when my sim has a fish in their inventory, a campfire, and the Off the Grid lot challenge.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Never used.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Neutral/Not Sure 

I assumed the Simple Life lot challenge would not conflict with Off the Grid when it comes to grilling fish.

Message 5 of 12 (5,641 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Pro

This is such a bummer, I wish our sims could actually live off the land by scavenging and fishing and then cook their food over a campfire. Can't really do historical gameplay for hunter-gatherers. :/ It makes even less sense to have magical marshmallows that you can conjure out of thin air to roast on an off-the-grid lot (this part actually should be disabled!) but there's nothing you can do about the fish you caught. 

edit: yep I meant simple living! I just always use both at the same time so I keep mixing them up, sorry about that!

Message 6 of 12 (4,947 Views)

Champion

I've got this happening too and I use this a lot in Sulani for my rags to riches shipwrecked Sims.

I'm on Xbox Series S. I'm not sure when it started happening. 

I don't work for EA. I'm a Volunteer.
+XP for helpful answers from fellow players.
Accept as Solution helps others find the answer.
Message 7 of 12 (4,004 Views)

★★ Pro

Now with Horse ranch it would be so nice to be able to use the Simple living lot trait and roast some freshly caught fish on a campfire back at the ranch. But we can't. Please fix this bug! It puts a pretty big damper on the whole feature that could actually be really fun to play with.. :/

Message 8 of 12 (1,698 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

Why is this still a thing? I've only discovered this since I don't use simple living often.

Message 9 of 12 (1,331 Views)

★★ Pro
@simsplayer818 I'm doing something similar and had to buy the terracotta style grill in order for my sims to eat cooked fish or harvestables (looked the most authentic for the time period they live in). Yet they have marshmallows, go figure lol.
Message 10 of 12 (1,275 Views)