Re: [OPEN] Check infant/toddler interrupts all attempts to care for baby

by TurtleZenn

Original Post

★★★★★ Novice

And forbid if you have more than 1 adult around. You will never get anything done with an infant. The autonomous queues for Check Infant happen to every adult and cancel everything you try to do with the sim you are controlling. You'll queue a Bottle Feed, but because someone across the lot wants to now Check Infant on the one you were interacting with (or even holding!), your sim just stands there idling and waiting for that to happen. This includes other sims who were sleeping or doing anything else, stopping those actions, walking all the way to the infant, and interrupting, even with your sim right there. If you have multiple infants/newborns, they always seem to want to interact with the one your sim is trying to interact with. So all your player driven commands get canceled. And if you are in the middle of an action that can't be canceled autonomously, like in the middle of bathing an infant, the other sim will literally walk in and stand as close to your sim as possible and just wait. They won't do anything else, even check a different infant, unless you Reset Sim and clear their queue. I was playing multiple infants and had 2 adult sims and a butler. After nearly getting the infants taken away, I locked all but one adult out of the room in order to feed the babies without their queues getting interrupted by the other sims. Their queues already get canceled by their own autonomous actions, such as "Check Infant," instead of doing what they were directed to do, which should not happen, especially if you have autonomy off, as I do. But fighting 1 sim's queue was easier than multiple. So, locked doors it is, unless they ever address this.

Message 31 of 77 (1,786 Views)

★★★ Newbie
@1125e8c882f46eff I have had the same thing. But if I have a baby sitter and they are in charge of solving it, I still have it if I’m trying to send my sim to bed and get some sleep while the sitter looks after it. It’s very annoying… I’ve got it selected that the selected sim doesn’t get autonomy and it gets ignored when it comes to the children and kids. Sometimes it’s useful because If a baby is crying, they will go fix it but then it’s super annoying if your not trying to fix the baby as someone else has it or if it’s a infant and I’m trying to feed it but it’s ignored. I think this popped up since the generation and new infant update maybe….
Message 32 of 77 (1,705 Views)

★★ Apprentice

This is so frustrating, 

My sims family are mages, it's late the mother is dead tired and went to bed, child is sad from not wearing the bear outfit so perfect time to get sad vlog. Infant wakes up and is hungry, I get father up to fed the infant in high chair all good. child almost done the vlog and mom wakes up teleports to infant that is happy and eating, stops the feed of the fathers and picks up the infant teleports into the media room just as the child is finishing the SAD vlog making her happy from togetherness and bamb happy vlog complete. The father standing there with jar of smashed pumpkin in his hand going "WTH I'm not eating this!" 

The infant is still hungry btw! 

Message 33 of 77 (1,537 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I have all the problems listed here. and it feels like its getting worse. I can only play with a single parent because of the interference from the other parent. The constantly checking on infants makes it impossible to have a meaningful gameplay. 

Message 34 of 77 (1,504 Views)

★ Guide

This was so frustrating for me today. 
I was trying to do a cute park trip for my infant twins and I even cheated both of their needs to full, yet I couldn’t do anything because both parents kept taking the infants out of their back carriers to “check infant”. Their needs were literally perfect!!

i ended up just taking everyone home and I won’t bother trying to leave the lot with an infant in future. 

this is one of the most pointless interactions in the game. I am a human, they are sims. I am smarter. Do not override my interactions ESPECIALLY when I have autonomy turned OFF!!!

Message 35 of 77 (1,479 Views)

★ Novice

*big sigh* yeah, same....

I've done all the aforementioned troubleshooting (with and without mods, new save and old), and all I can really add to this, like everyone else, is that it's a weight/value issue with the Check Infant command, which is only worsened by the Check Infant command being autonomous too. It also seems to cause all caretakers' responses to conflict with one another. 

When I do throw in my mods, having Infants renders gameplay nearly unbearable. I end up cheating needs routinely and resetting sims to avoid social services and the tedious/annoying game play of constantly tending to hygiene and hunger needs (the other needs seem to decay much slower??). I had been playing with a mod that enables live-in nanny services, but it was causing some serious chaos with the nanny's autonomous Check Infant responses racking up with the parents' Check Infant responses... Absolute nightmare. I did notice, however, if my parent sims fully ignored the child/otherwise occupied themselves with a task, the Nanny would eventually take care of the infants' needs, but that was a rare exception. I've also worked around it by commanding the Infant to request feeding, washing, etc from a specific caretaker, although that doesn't always work either. 

tldr: 9/10 times, Caretaker Sims – NPCs or my own – fail to successfully care for an Infant using autonomous commands or when they are directly commanded to do so.

Message 36 of 77 (1,446 Views)

★★ Apprentice

I am playing on console with all expansion packs except Growing Together. I am currently doing the 100 baby challenge and let me tell you... not being able to micromanage my newborns, infants and toddlers is turning out to be a nightmare and makes me want to go play Elden Ring!

I am also into story telling and this is really killing it for me.  Wanted to introduce new foods to my infants, but nooooo... the game just decides my sim will breastfeed until infant is full first without letting me choose this. EVEN THOUGH AUTOMONY IS OFF for my active sim.  That's just one example.  

Let me know if this fits in with this open ticket or if there is a different one out there specifically around autonomy being off but newborn/infant actions get queued anyway.

Message 37 of 77 (1,376 Views)

★★ Novice

I've had the same problem with my sims. Worse bug ever!! Needs to be fixed fast

Message 38 of 77 (1,336 Views)

★★ Guide

This just started happening in a save I'm playing. The mother will constantly get "check infant" in her queue, as in every single time I tab away from her to another sim and come back, no matter how many times I cancel it. And the kicker? The infant has all her needs in the green, yet it keeps happening and it's driving me up the wall. I've had to resort to locking the mother in the room she's working in just to get her to stop going all the way across the house every few minutes to check on her infant who doesn't need any help with needs.

Make it stop, please.

Message 39 of 77 (1,264 Views)

★ Apprentice

I don't know if there's a seperate thread for it but this bug pairs up with Sims taking the infant out of the crib when the child is crying because it wants to sleep, taking a toddler out of the high chair immediately after placing them in, and constantly putting the infant on the play mat. I actually had to delete the play mat because they were absolutely obsessed with putting the infant on it every second despite my instructions. Trying to cancel any of the actions doesn't stop them. It's actually infuriating, and I feel like it must have gotten worse during the last patch or the patch before it. 

Message 40 of 77 (1,237 Views)