Re: [NEEDS INPUT] [CL] [DU] Roommates from other apartment enter without permiss

by CGrant56

Original Post

[OPEN] [CL] [DU] Roommates from other apartment enter without permission

[ Edited ]
★★ Guide

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Often (50% - 99%)
What is your current game version number? EP03:1.assets.ml-ep03-198
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? All of them, up to and including Tiny Living.
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Have one sim in San Myshuno apartment get roommates. Once they've settled in, switch to another sim in the same building and play them for a while. This second sim should not have any roommates. After a while, the first sim's roommates from the same building, but different apartment, will just walk into the second sim's apartment, like they lived there. Being accepted or being in the university -might- be a trigger, or then not and it just takes a bit of time.
What happens when the bug occurs? The roommates that belong to another apartment start treating the played sim's apartment like they lived there.
What do you expect to see? Roommates remembering which apartment they live in and not having the keys and preference to live in any apartment in the same building.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Not now. I've removed them.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Neutral/Not Sure 

I'm playing a single sim with a dog in San Myshuno apartment. He does not have any roommates. In the same building there lives a played sim who does have two roommates. The said roommates just walked into the currently played sim's apartment like they live there, clearly confused about in which apartment they live in.

The played single sim did very recently get accepted into university (not enrolled yet), so this -might- have been the trigger, but on the other hand, a friend of mine who plays with zero mods has recently been playing a lot in San Myshuno without any university-going sims, with several sims who all have roommates, and said they all walk in to all the apartments.

I have Sims Info mod installed usually, and my save is ancient, but since my zero mods friend also has the issue, I doubt it's related to those.

Just to clarify, these are not random npcs, those go away if you don't open the door and invite them in, these are roommates from another apartment, gained with the roommate ads and accepted in that other apartment in the same building.

Edit: When I lock the door for everyone but household, the roommates from another apartment stand in the hallway with toilet or sleep thought bubbles and eventually have a bladder failure, clearly thinking they belong to this household instead of using their actual apartment that isn't currently played.

Message 1 of 9 (2,870 Views)

Re: [NEEDS INPUT] [CL] [DU] Roommates from other apartment enter without permiss

Hero

@Lumiasta  This is the first I have heard of anyone using roommates in the CL apartments.  The behavior you describe is just like how they act in a dorm with the University Housing venue type though.  At least you found you can lock them out.  One thing I noticed in the dorm was that it looks like the roommates can follow an active sim into a room when an active sim goes through a door that is locked to keep the roommates out.   But if the active sim is already in the room with the door locked and shut, the roommates can't seem to get in on their own.  So if they are coming in behind your sim before the door closes, that may be what is going on.  Just a guess really and it shouldn't be that way imo.  But it does look like that they don't seem to remember where they live from the bladder failures, etc.  when you lock the door to keep them out.  

BTW, the simsinfo mod doesn't do anything affecting gameplay.  It is just a utility to look at a sim's character information.

One thing you might try.  Go into the household where they are supposed to live and check if their bed assignments are still active.  If you never gave them one or if the bed you assigned them to doesn't show that assignment anymore, then that may be part of the problem.  Try assigning it again then save and exit and load into the household you were originally playing and see if the behavior stops.  Again just a guess.   I have roommates in a residential lot and they kept sleeping in my sims beds.  Manually assigning them a bed slot fixed that for me.

Message 2 of 9 (2,778 Views)

★★ Guide

I checked the household where the roommates should live in, and their beds are still assigned to them.

The game clearly recognizes that the roommates should live in this building, but for some reason doesn't handle them the same way as the actual households in the apartments, so I guess they'll come to the building, but are not scripted to go and vanish into the unplayed apartment like household sims do, instead they're seeking help for their needs from whatever apartment is 'open' and being played.

Message 3 of 9 (2,764 Views)

Hero

@Lumiasta  Then I agree with you.  This is probably just another case where the devs never anticipated all of the possible permutations of what we players will do with our sims and made no provisions to deal with this particular case.  More like a design omission issue rather than a bug I would think since it is more annoying than game breaking.

Message 4 of 9 (2,760 Views)

★★ Guide

Yah, agreed. Definitely not game breaking, and also guessing it's more an oversight in coding than a bug, but figured that's in small part what these forums are for: letting the devs know all the various ways players set up their games, and what kind of issues rise from those. Clearly this is in the category of 'no one thought of this, but surely this is not how it should work'.

Message 5 of 9 (2,724 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

Thanks for reporting this. I was about to write about it because I'm having the same issue in my game. Makes it really difficult to play other households in that building!

Message 6 of 9 (2,681 Views)

★★ Guide

Noticed the same issue. Game version 1.68.154.1020 (All packs except Journey to Batu and Snowy Escape)

In apartments (SanMyshuno and EvergreenHarbor) next-door roommates behave as if belonging to current household (hang around inside apartment or in the hallway).

Roommates that DO belong to the household sometimes behave as neighbors: complain about noise or ask to hang out ("Ahoy Neighbor...).

Tested with a new save file.

Message 7 of 9 (2,468 Views)

Re: [OPEN] [CL] [DU] Roommates from other apartment enter without permission

★ Apprentice

I am having this issue as of January 2022. I have locked the door for everyone but household members because otherwise my neighbors roommate will come in and eat all my food.

I am so extremely annoyed by her and the fact that I can’t ask her to leave!

She lives just next door. And now since I locked her out she’s not taking care of herself, all filthy and tired out in the hallway.

I don’t want to have a locked door because I want my friends to be able to get in.

Im wondering, do the friends who have an apartment key have the ability to go through the locked door..?

Message 8 of 9 (1,764 Views)

Re: [OPEN] [CL] [DU] Roommates from other apartment enter without permission

★ Apprentice
Update: no, friends cannot enter despite having a key to the door (!) or even if they get invited in.
This system is not thought through!
And yes, it is pretty gamebreaking!
Message 9 of 9 (1,758 Views)