by SerenaBeanie

Original Post

[NEEDS SAVES] Fear of Swimming triggered without apparent cause

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Often (50% - 99%)
What is your current game version number? 1.90.375.1020
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? high school years, cottage living, snowy escape, eco lifestyle, discover university, island living, get famous, seasons, cats & dogs, city living, get together, get to work, werewolves, my wedding stories, dream home decorator, realm of magic, strangerville, jungle adventure, parenthood, vampires, dine out, paranormal, nifty knitting, tiny living, moscino, laundry day, toddler, vintage glamour, romantic garden, movie hangout, spooky, perfect patio, holiday, decor to the max, incheon, fashion street, courtyard oasis, country kitchen
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? play as a sim for awhile in a lot without swimmable water
What happens when the bug occurs? sim acquires a 'fear of swimming' despite not having gone swimming and not being anywhere near swimmable water
What do you expect to see? sim should not acquire a fear of something without an appropriate trigger
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Not now. I've removed them.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Yes
Please describe the patch or change you made. fears patch

I'm not sure what it is about the house I made for these sims but every member of the household has been randomly acquiring the fear of swimming. the house is in forgotten hollow (which doesn't have swimmable lakes); they have no pool or pond; they don't go fishing. the sims are vampires so most don't even bathe.

the last sim to roll the fear was drinking a plasma jane. can this be triggered by drinking juice? is it their proximity to a (shallow) courtyard oasis fountain? is it because they're vampires + can't cross running water? is it from the sink?

Edit By Crinrict: Added Tag to Title

Message 1 of 12 (5,463 Views)

Re: Fear of Swimming triggered without apparent cause

★★★★ Novice

This is occurring in my fave as well except I'm in the Drake Hall I'm Discover University.  The are no pools or ocean nearby but my Sims continually gets the fear of swimming. Tried bulldozing and rebuilding but still happens.

Message 2 of 12 (4,741 Views)

Re: Fear of Swimming triggered without apparent cause

EA Sims Team
Hello All,

If anyone of you are still encountering this (without mods), would you be willing to share your save file(s)?

If so, please send me a private message with a link to the file.

Instructions here: http://x.ea.com/74420

Thanks!
Message 3 of 12 (4,538 Views)

Re: [NEEDS SAVES] Fear of Swimming triggered without apparent cause

★★★★ Apprentice
@SerenaBeanie I keep the wants and fears off, and still this appears.
Message 4 of 12 (4,193 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

I had seen this in conjunction with this bug: https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/OPEN-IL-Scared-moodlets-from-Thalassophobia-when-not-near-the/...

I had presumed that bug was causing this one (fear of water moodlet leading to fear of swimming trait). As explained in my post there, my Sim was living in Streamlet Single. It's next to a canal, but he never went fishing, the canal isn't swimmable, and he'd typically get this moodlet just while hanging out indoors.

Message 5 of 12 (3,475 Views)

Hero
@HeroicJay Could you send your save to EA as asked above ?

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 6 of 12 (3,471 Views)

★★★★ Novice

My sim was on his home lot in Oasis Springs just walking around when he randomly received a fear of swimming after digging for collectibles in the Acquisition Butte neighborhood.  There are no pools, hot tubs, ponds, nor bodies of water on his lot nor in his neighborhood.  I do own the Island Living expansion pack.

Message 7 of 12 (2,475 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Expert

I do have mods, and also I’m traumatized by my experiences with Thalassophobia. That said, I’m reasonably certain of what I did to trigger it. (!!!)

I have a Uni household of two mers, two vamps, and a normal, non-occult Sim in Darkwing House (I added a bed so they could go together). I gave the vamps sunlight reversal cocktail and sent everyone swimming to celebrate that they’d finished their homework, presentations, and term papers and had Sunday free. We all went to the river area next to Darkwing House. 

It was bugged and cursed. One vampire kept t-posing because of her umbrella and got Thalassophobia and a fear of swimming pop up. AAAAAAA. So, because I was frustrated, and because she had the spiky bubble to cure it but couldn’t swim where we were without t-posing and resetting, I pressed M to travel.

(This is a habit of mine and I think it’s how I’ve gotten Thalassophobia before, but…)

Good news! Vampire girl was cured of her fear of swimming! 

Bad news! Vampire boy and the non-occult Sim started getting pop ups about being afraid of swimming. In their living room, or standing outside class. For a week after, they’d get these pop ups on dry land and they’d get a curse word and the UI cheats mod treatment, but it kept coming back anyway.

Remembering my experience with Thalassophobia, I sent the two affected Sims back to the river to swim and made sure they left the water properly. They both ended up with the relaxing swim moodlet. Hopefully they’re cured, but only time will tell. 

My working theory is that if you press M to travel with non-mers (mermaids appear to be immune to Thalassophobia but sometimes their outfits will bug out temporarily* if you press M while they’re swimming), if they’re jussssst about to get the moodlet (or, worse, have it and you don’t notice) it can cause this “stuck” behavior where the moodlets and fears can pop up at inappropriate times, ie not near the water. I’m going to try to remember to not press M when Sims are actively swimming. If it works like Pre-Fears Thalassophobia, leaving the water properly allows the stuck buff to remove properly.

I hope that helps!

[edit] I played out the test of the week, and there were no further pop ups about fear of swimming.

* “bugged out mermaid outfit” = “Winter outfit? Swimsuit. Daily? Swimsuit. Party? Swimsuit. Formal? Swimsuit! ALL OUTFITS ARE SWIMSUIT!!!”

Message 8 of 12 (1,847 Views)

EA Sims Team
@xochiquetzl_xkvn

Hello!

If you are still encountering this on the latest game version (without mods), would you be willing to share your save file(s)?

If so, please send me a private message with a link to the file.

Instructions here: http://x.ea.com/74420

Thanks!
Message 9 of 12 (1,791 Views)

★★★★ Expert

@TheSimsDirect  I cured my Sims, but I’ll see what I can do about reproducing it. 🤞🤞🤞

Message 10 of 12 (1,762 Views)