Re: Unable to Progress in new tutorial due to greyed out selections

by Wintermist

Original Post

★★★★★ Apprentice

So I had a very buggy experience with this as well, UNTIL:

I enabled the Enable Help Tips as well, from there on I got the speaker voice, and text windows showing what to do alongside following the aspirations. I had both off, but I tried several times with only the Tutorial on, without the Help Tips enabled and it got messed up real fast.

Perhaps the game should force these tips on automatically when playing the Tutorial.

Message 41 of 67 (1,853 Views)

Champion (Retired)

@Wintermist wrote:

So I had a very buggy experience with this as well, UNTIL:

I enabled the Enable Help Tips as well, from there on I got the speaker voice, and text windows showing what to do alongside following the aspirations. I had both off, but I tried several times with only the Tutorial on, without the Help Tips enabled and it got messed up real fast.

Perhaps the game should force these tips on automatically when playing the Tutorial.

Brilliant! I had not even considered checking that option. I have played for so many years I set my options to turn off things like help tips when setting up a new clean game folder. Thank you for sharing this valuable tip.

- EQ Avid Sims Player
I do not work for EA
All packs installed and patches are current.

EQ Avid Sims Player
I do not work for EA but I do volunteer at AnswersHQ to help others with their game issues.
EAGameChanger - The Sims 4 Gallery Creator
Gallery Tag: #EQCreations
Message 42 of 67 (1,824 Views)

[ Edited ]
Champion (Retired)

@Wintermist 
It appears the tutorial has been fixed.
Using your information I ran a test in my own game.

First I deleted everything so I could start with a clean game folder.
(Actually I did move my saves to another location)
Looking at the game options menu I verified Enable Help Tips is set to 'on' by default.
The CAS tutorial ran smoothly as I created a test Sim and chose the Style Influencer career.
I followed all the prompts and just let Alex (the tutorial guide Sim) do whatever while I just watched.
Everything ran like a dream though it was a bit weird that there were zero Sims at the park to meet.
But that step (to meet three Sims) was satisfied by walk-by Sims in the home area.
The Seasons food kiosk did appear but I could not order food/drink. But Alex cooked food while my Sim was at work.
I was pleasantly surprised to see that the tutorial aspiration was completed by early morning on Wednesday.
In this instance I chose to continue playing without adding another Sim.

Note: (My opinion}The choice of aspiration on finishing the tutorial could stand a bit of tweaking. The tutorial aspirations are athletic, chef, painter and trend setter. The ones available to choose after completion are career focused (Fabulously Wealthy), romantic (Soulmate), architect (Mansion Baron) and devious (Public Enemy). In my mind a creative or knowledge aspiration would be a better fit.

- EQ Avid Sims Player
I do not work for EA

Game Version 1.56.52.1020 Patch 03Oct2019
Edit to link to tutorial related thread: [NEEDS INPUT] [TUTORIAL] Adding Sim to household not working
https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/NEEDS-INPUT-TUTORIAL-Adding-Sim-to-household-not-working/m-p/7...

EQ Avid Sims Player
I do not work for EA but I do volunteer at AnswersHQ to help others with their game issues.
Message 43 of 67 (1,809 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Pro

No, the tutorial has not been fixed. I just ran a new test save and the problem remains. If you complete the third milestone too early, the actions needed for the fourth milestone are locked. They will not unlock until the tutorial advances but the tutorial will not advance because it is waiting for you to finish another milestone.

It's a simple Catch 22. You have to complete the next milestone to advance the tutorial but you can't complete the next milestone until the tutorial advances. Nothing you can do except go back to an earlier save and take care not to complete the third milestone until the tutorial tells you to.

Message 44 of 67 (1,768 Views)

Champion (Retired)

@Sketch793  Yikes! I am sorry it did not work for you Devil
I played thru at least twice. It looked like I was stuck when the goal was to "go to work" but it cleared once my Sim got home.
Maybe because I played it differently? It was difficult for me to let the game guide me thru. I kept wanting to do the things I always do when I play.

- EQ Avid Sims Player
I do not work for EA

EQ Avid Sims Player
Message 45 of 67 (1,759 Views)

★★★★★ Pro

@EuphorialQueenI know the feeling. It's doing the things I always do that makes the tutorial break. It's easy for me to complete the tutorial without a problem by limiting my gameplay. However, that's not how I normally play and I wouldn't expect a beginner to play that way.

The goals for the job are shown on the Career panel, which is unlocked on the first day as soon as Alex gives you a job. Those goals include the Daily Task. The goals for the aspiration are shown on the Aspirations panel, which is also unlocked on the first day, after Alex gives you some gifts. Since I know the goals, I play to achieve them and that is what I would expect most people to do, even if this is the first time they've ever played any version of the Sims.

The problem is on the third milestone. It's the only one that can be completed too early. I was playing the Painter aspiration. Doing the daily task let my Sim get promoted in two days instead of the three days the tutorial is planned for. It also let her complete three of the goals for the third milestone: Work on Daily Career Task, Improve a Skill, and Earn a Promotion. That only left cleaning the house twice to finish the third milestone and then she's on the fourth milestone well before the tutorial gets there, and that leaves her stuck. However, since I know about the problem, that only happens when I allow it to happen. In this case, I just went back to my last save and replayed it while being careful not to complete the third milestone too early.

I like your signature.

Sketch Elder, another Avid Sims Player

Message 46 of 67 (1,693 Views)

Re: [OPEN] Unable to Progress in new tutorial due to greyed out selections

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

I'm having a similar issue. About a week ago I tried the tutorial just for kicks (I've been playing since launch) and my Sim eventually got to actions he couldn't perform. One (I can't recall if it was a whim or an action required by the tutorial) was to dance to music on the stereo, but the option to dance wasn't there. Thankfully he did it autonomously. I believe another was when he was required by the tutorial to make a group meal, but there was no option for that when clicking on the fridge or stove. The options aren't grayed out, they're simply absent. This also meant that I couldn't finish the tutorial.

I also had an issue where I went to a community lot and invited Alex along. When my Sim left (I can't recall if he just returned home, or went to work so the home lot loaded), Alex didn't come with him, and didn't return even after waiting a(n in-game) day. I was able to invite her over by phone, but she acted just like any other visitor.

FWIW, his Aspiration was the Trend Setter one and I had him in the Style Influencer career, and ending the tutorial did unlock all the actions that were missing during the tutorial.

I have the most recent update (1.56.52.1220), all packs but the Moschino one, and am playing on a Mac with the Mojave OS. I am using mods and have yet to try the tutorial without them, though they also didn't function at all during the tutorial (I imagine they were intentionally blocked for it, just like cheats).

Message 47 of 67 (1,667 Views)

Stuck in tutorial

★★★ Newbie

I finished every task in the tutorial even the take a vacation day. But for some reason it didn’t complete and now I can’t use the phone to take a vacation day. Help please

Message 48 of 67 (1,575 Views)

Re: Stuck in tutorial

Hero
@jordanwils Merged your post with bug report on this.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 49 of 67 (1,542 Views)

Re: Stuck in tutorial

Champion (Retired)

@jordanwils 
The key to completing this tutorial is patience and not trying to skip ahead.
Since it was released I have play tested the tutorial several times. 
Having played for years it was difficult for me to just sit back and let the game "show me how to play" {grin}.
A couple of things you can try to get unstuck are documented in the above posts.
You can save and exit the game and origin. Delete the cache files in the Sims 4 folder in documents and try again.
Or quit the tutorial in the options menu. You can then continue with the same save if you wish.

Troubleshooting tips
https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues-PC/READ-FIRST-Troubleshooting-your-Game/m-p/3621199

- EQ Avid Sims Player
I do not work for EA
PC / Win 10
Never used CC or mods.

EQ Avid Sims Player
Message 50 of 67 (1,520 Views)