Original Post

Accepted Solution

[FIXED] Sims lose their first and last names

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Apprentice

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What is your current game version number? 1.77.131.1030
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? GTW, GT, Pets, Seasons, GF, CL, DU Vampires, RoM, OR, DO, JA, Strangerville Romantic Garden, Paranormal, MH, NK, VG
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? This glitch happens when you first load a household, and affects all households related to that lot.
What happens when the bug occurs? Non-played Sims lose both their first and last names.
What do you expect to see? Names restored to Sims in Create-a-Sim, genealogy panel, relationship panel, and Live Mode.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Not now. I've removed them.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Yes
Please describe the patch or change you made. This glitch appears after the most recent patch on 7.20.2021

Although my Sim's genealogy is finally restored - no more broken branches on the family tree, I have noticed that 90% of my Sims have lost both their first and last names.

This glitch applies to both Sims deceased and living, and starts the moment any lot is loaded for the first time. The household chosen keeps their names, but a decent amount of the relationships loose their first and last names. Even in Create-a-Sim, their identities are rendered nameless.

This glitch applies both with and without mods installed. The household first selected retains their names, but will lose them if they are not the first household selected.

Edit By Crinrict: Added Tag to Title

Message 1 of 98 (17,495 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: [OPEN] Sims lose their first and last names

Hero

Sometimes, in certain saves, Sims would lose their names when visiting some Lots - most notoriously the Goth’s Lot but it could happen anywhere. If a Sim has no name… does that Sim exist? I can assure you that the Goths were not involved, but this issue should no longer occur.

Fixed in Patch 1.79.93/1.47

If you're still experiencing this issue, please create a new thread.

Please not that already lost names will probably need to be edited in manually. You should no longer loose them again after that though.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

View in thread

Message 98 of 98 (9,829 Views)

All Replies

Re: Sims lose their first and last names s/p 7.20.2021 patch

Hero
@mauvejinjo At what point did you remove your mods ? Before or after they lost their names ?

Does it happen on new save as well or just your existing ? Did you delete localthumbcache file ?

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 2 of 98 (17,439 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Apprentice

Hello, @crinrict 

Mods were removed prior to updating the game. I have since played all save files (without saving) both with and without mods installed, and the glitch is consistent. I deleted the localthumbcache today, but the glitch persists. 

When first loading the Sims 4, each household still retains the names of its Sims. It isn't until a household is loaded that the glitch triggers. So, for example, if I load Household A, every "favorite" sim outside that household loses their names... however, if I load Household B for the first time instead, they are the ones spared. 

As for new games, I cannot say. Sims in new save files don't know anyone outside of their household anyways, and this glitch doesn't seem to affect townies. 

EDIT: It is possible that entering households in CAS prior to playing them may salvage their names... I noticed today that some households upon loading the save retain both names, or either their first or last. However, when playing a different household, that original household loses their names. 

Re-entering CAS and re-typing their names seems to improve things, however my deceased/ancestral Sims are unable to receive that fix. 

Message 3 of 98 (17,393 Views)

Sims 4- Names are Missing!! Please help

★★ Apprentice

How often does the bug occur? Often (50% - 99%)
What is your current game version number? 1030
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? All of them
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Go into relationship panel
What happens when the bug occurs? Names missing
What do you expect to see? Toddler stay in bath till completed
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Not now. I've removed them.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Yes
Please describe the patch or change you made. I've added cc to my game within the last week. Then there was a patch on July 20th, this week.

I've come across a major problem in my game. For the past couple days I have been adding CC to my game (clothes, accessories, hair). Everything seemed to be going fine until the latest patch (July 20th). I just logged in my game today and looked at my sims relationships and noticed names were missing. I thought maybe they weren't showing up because they were loading still (he knows a lot of sims). But when I clicked on a nameless sim her name had completely disappeared!! I went to manage worlds, clicked to edit her and her name was gone, and the household member living with her was named Sim 2, when I hovered over it with my mouse. HER name is gone also. 

I freaked out so I exited the game, without saving. I disabled mods/ script mods, deleting all mods in my folder, I even removed the folder completely at one point, and it is still ruined. The names are still gone. 

I have back up saves from months ago I keep for emergencies, like this. I deleted my recent saves, replaced them with saves from a month ago (before ever downloading these mods I've added the past week) and the names are still missing.

Weird thing though, I have been messing with this for hours trying to get it to work, some times the names DID come back, but once I exited the game to see for sure it was fixed (again with no mods), the names were gone again the next time I entered the game.

I don't know what to do, or what happened. Is it because the recent patch? Did I do something wrong? I'm attaching a photo to show you what I mean, my mods are disabled but you can see the missing names of some sims. (Try to ignore the weird names of some of my other sims...)

I would be so grateful if someone can help me. I'm so stressed about this.

If you look at the photo, it looks like it's only toddler names that are missing, but no, the names are missing from many adult sims as well. Those are just the top sims on his relationship panel that I'm showing you. 

P.S. this is happening in ALL my save files. Even save files I haven't played in 2 years. I went in a save from 2019 just to check and names are missing there too.

Message 4 of 98 (17,353 Views)

Re: Sims 4- Names are Missing!! Please help

[ Edited ]
★★ Apprentice

sorry, I wrote the toddler in bath thing cause I was totally confused by what the post was wanting me to type there Frown(( What I want to see is my sims names again! :'(

Edit: I have also tried repairing the game but it did not help at all. 

(merge post) - Atic

Message 5 of 98 (17,353 Views)

Sims names are disappearing

★★★★★ Apprentice

How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What is your current game version number? 1.77.131.1030
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? All except the Journey to Batuu and My First Pet Stuff packs
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Load any household. Names will disappear on game load. When playing another household, all names in previous household disappear.
What happens when the bug occurs? Sims' first names disappear on game load. Example: Shenizera Nova. When the game loads, the name is changed to "Nova." with the first name missing. I tried to restore the name back manually, but that doesn't seem to work.
What do you expect to see? Their first names not disappearing.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Yes
Please describe the patch or change you made. Update to patch 1.77.131.1030 (Cottage Living update), July 20, 2021

Message 6 of 98 (17,270 Views)

Re: Sims names are disappearing

★★ Guide

Same on XB1, after the latest patch alot of my sims are missing either their first name or their complete names.

Message 7 of 98 (17,117 Views)

Champion

I've had this happen too – both affecting my played sims and unplayed townies.

The first round of this I noticed that a bunch of sims had lost their surnames, but retained their first names, including premades such as:

• The Goths
  • The BFF household
  • The Roomies household
  • The Bro household

I managed to go through all the affected sims in Manage Households CAS and retype all their missing surnames. That seems to have stuck after manually fixing them all.

But then the second round of this bug seems to have hit and I loaded in and found that some of my sims had now had their first names deleted, but retained their surnames. I've done the same manual restoration of their names and it seems to have also stuck for now.

Trying to find a pattern, I couldn't really see one other than it was mainly older sims affected – I started my save file back in 2017 and some of the oldest created sims were affected, while all newer sims that were created maybe sometime after Jungle Adventure release time for example seem to be fine. Like, none of the Selvadoradian townies had their names affected, none of the Get Famous celebs, none of the Strangerville folks, none of the Sulani islanders, etc.

It was only some of my oldest sims such as premades from the start of the game and some townies that were created circa City Living era that lost their names.

Message 8 of 98 (17,087 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

This bug is also happening in my game. I agree with @simvasion about it having something to do with when the Sims were made.

I've found nameless Sims in every world up to (and including) Forgotten Hollow, but none in any of the worlds that come after that. Also, some have a last name but no first name, but most are completely nameless.

Message 9 of 98 (17,000 Views)

★★★ Novice

I'm getting the bug too, but the majority affected are new auto-generated townies in Henford-on-Bagley. Just first names, no surnames.

Message 10 of 98 (16,953 Views)