[FIXED] Excessive use of phones and use in inappropriate places (Patch 1.91)

by Knotwise13

Original Post

Highlighted
Accepted Solution

[FIXED] Excessive use of phones and use in inappropriate places (Patch 1.91)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Guide

While it’s great that sims no longer use the phone while swimming they still use it at ALL other times, while walking ANYWHERE and even while standing in water like a pool. This didn’t used to be true and it’s ANNOYING!  If there’s already a bug report feel free to merge this question, if there is no bug report, feel free to reply with a link so I can file one 

Update with bug report 

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:  PlayStation 
Which language are you playing the game in? English 
How often does the bug occur? Every time!
What is your current game version number? Sims4
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? EVERYTHING BUT snowy escape, realm of magic, werewolves, high school, fitness, dream home decorator, batuu, movie night and luxury party 
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Log in, do anything. Try taking a swim and be amazed at how waterproof sims phones are 
What happens when the bug occurs? Sims use the phone constantly, while standing in pools or the ocean, while walking, while talking to other sims, it’s obnoxious and ruins the idea of a hike or romantic nature walk, they’re always on the phone !
What do you expect to see? Put the phone DOWN. You don’t need to be on it while standing in a pool, walking home or having a serious relationship conversation with your spouse 
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? No I’m a Consol player 
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Yes, it started happening after the HS update patch, before the patch phone use was a reasonable amount, this is just annoying !

Edit By Crinrict: Adjusted Title

Message 1 of 18 (6,957 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: [OPEN] Excessive use of phones and use in inappropriate places (Patch 1.91)

Hero

Sims will no longer be constantly using their phones at every hour of the day. Not a cell phone in sight, just simulated people living in the moment. Beautiful.

Fixed in Patch 1.103.250/1.84

Please create a new thread if you're still experiencing this issue,

Before opening a new thread, be aware that certain Sims might still use the phone a lot. It's not turned off completely. 

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

View in thread

Message 18 of 18 (2,353 Views)

All Replies

Re: Excessive use of phones NOT fixed!

[ Edited ]
Hero

Could you please edit your post and add the following info to your post.

Platform:
Which language are you playing the game in? 
How often does the bug occur? 
What is your current game version number? 
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? 
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? 
What happens when the bug occurs? 
What do you expect to see? 
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods?
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? 

The bug template is currently working on/off but it helps if you are not prompted for the template while editing, please answer the questions anyways. 

Thank you

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 2 of 18 (6,909 Views)

Re: Excessive use of phones NOT fixed!

★★★ Guide
@crinrict Updated and edited
Message 3 of 18 (6,751 Views)

Re: Excessive use of phones (Patch 1.91)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Pro

Platform:PC
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What is your current game version number? 1.91.205.1020
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? All except Kit: First Fits Kits
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Its not a bug, its a awful designe decision
What happens when the bug occurs? To much phone Idle
What do you expect to see? That only Teens use so much phone Idle
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Never used.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Pre-Patch HSY (1.90.358.1030)

It is for sure better since patch 08/30/22 but still too much phone-idle, especially with hiking.

As sample I used 8 elders for hiking. I used 8 premade sims for this test and as, so they started hiking the first played this idle then the next and in the end it was under 0,01% that they all just hiking without phone out. Sure, for my liking they still use this phone-idle too much, but it was not so aggressive as with hiking. (Screen 1 and 2)

Really, just remove the idle from age state adult and senior or let the player choose if played sim can use this idle. I really don’t know how people can still play stone age/decades challenge without mod which remove this new idle; this idle would ruin this challenge complete for me.

Message 4 of 18 (6,653 Views)

Re: [OPEN] Excessive use of phones (Patch 1.91)

[ Edited ]
Champion

Platform:  PlayStation 4
How often does the bug occur? Very Frequent, but it differs in frequency depending on what my merfolk are doing. If my merfolk are walking on land, it's extremely frequent, and if they are swimming, it happens almost exlusively when they are chatting.
What is your current game version number? Whatever the most current version is. I have the setting set to update my game every hour the moment updates become available.
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? All packs except select kits and Bust the Dust. I'm a dedicated and passionate supporter of the Sims 4. I fill the void of nonexistent merfolk content with gameplay in other packs.
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Have the sims walk from point A to Point B. If the sims are swimming, have them chat with another sim and watch.
What happens when the bug occurs? Sims walk at the same pace as sims with the Lazy Trait. They fiddle with their phone walking. Check their phone while chatting in the water.
What do you expect to see? Around 90% of all phone interactions can't be performed while in the water. This is something I've grown used to while playing with merfolk. One thing that stood out to me. My merfolk did not do any of this before the High School Years Update. Also, the Social Bunny App is the only function of the phone that can be used while in the water. I even have to leave the water to deactivate and activate the app. I suspect a connection between the phone use and the existence of the app in High School Years. Important Note: The phone use started after the patch for High School Years and happened regardless of whether or not the pack was installed. It's possible that whatever created this problem can be found specifically in the High School Years Expansion Pack Update.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? As a console Player, I can't use mods even if I wanted to. And because of certain missing content, I would use them if I could.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? This started after the High School Year Update but it happens regardless of whether or not you have the expansion pack.

I edited in screenshots.

-------------------------------------------------------
I'm a Volunteer. I do not work for EA.
-------------------------------------------------------
Message 5 of 18 (6,334 Views)

Re: [OPEN] Excessive use of phones (Patch 1.91)

★ Guide

On PC but my sims still use phones while idly swimming in the ocean, rivers, sitting in a hot tub and onsen.

Message 6 of 18 (5,899 Views)

Sims Check Phone in Pool

★ Novice

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What is your current game version number? 1.94.147.1030
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? All except for Kits released January 2023
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Take two sims into a pool, any pool. Have hem chat.
What happens when the bug occurs? See sims pull out cell phone from time to time, under the water (like a normal conversation on dry land)
What do you expect to see? Don't pull out phones under the water
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Not now. I've removed them.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? No

sims4-phone-in-pool.png

Why is David checking his phone under the water while chatting with Blair? Are Sims smartphones in Otterboxes or something?

Reproduce: take any two sims into a pool and have them simply chat (in this example, a friendly conversation with two Young Adult opposite gender best friends - non-romantic) who are simply shooting the breeze when the check phone animation plays under the water. This is the same animation that plays if they were on dry land, but in a pool??

Message 7 of 18 (5,458 Views)

Re: Sims Check Phone in Pool

★ Guide
Yeah I have say, it’s gotten a bit annoying
Message 8 of 18 (4,722 Views)

Champion

It's actually harder to get Sims to socialize now - they keep quitting conversations to play with their phones, even when on a date. And they're constantly on their phones while hiking, which might make sense for someone dragged along reluctantly but not for my nature lover who's gone hiking on his own yet never even looked up at any of the nature.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
I am a Volunteer for Answers HQ, I do not work for EA
She/Her
Message 9 of 18 (4,713 Views)

[ Edited ]
Champion

The household I've just switched from, Dani is a personal trainer doing the athletic aspiration and attending Uni at the same time, so they are a very busy Sim obviously. But they are constantly on their phone while they are working out. They keep stopping jogging and exercising to use the phone. Or they tap on the phone for the whole run. I mean, is it supposed to be that excessive or is it a bug when it kind of takes over a Sim. This Sim has a lot of friends and has the Incredibly Friendly trait, so I don't know if that's a factor. Even while fitting in a few minutes with the cat, playing with the cat wand. (My own cat has explained to me that this is highly inappropriate lol). They keep switching focus from the cat back to their phone.

It's as if some Sims have the Fame Quirk, Phone Fanatic.

So I'm moving on to a new household, Rory and she will be Dani's new girlfriend. I'm going to keep an eye on this issue while Dani is unplayed and also see if Rory is as bad with less popularity and still needing to go jogging a lot as a soldier.

I had noticed it has been excessive since last year but I'm not sure if it should be affecting some Sims so much.

I set phones to silent but I think it would help if we had an option to turn off phones like IRL. It would also help with the excessive calls and texts that I've reported on that thread which are also much worse now since adding Growing Together.

Edit: testing on the second Sim and she's texting while jogging and while practicing marching for her career plus over other daily activities too. It's still just as excessive. It's not just an idle action anymore, it's been done over other actions too. So whether or not it's a bug, it at least needs tuning IMO.

I don't work for EA. I'm a Volunteer.
+XP for helpful answers from fellow players.
Accept as Solution helps others find the answer.
Message 10 of 18 (4,665 Views)