Original Post

Accepted Solution

[FIXED/ARCHIVED] Sims using far away object instead of close one

[ Edited ]
★★★ Guide

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Often (50% - 99%)
What is your current game version number? 1.44.99
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? All expansions and stuff packs
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Have sim cook garden or fruit salad.
What happens when the bug occurs? They will try to move to another room halfway across the house.If the counter in the room they are traveling to is full of decor, they won't cook the meal.
What do you expect to see? Sim to not travel around the house walking past open counters to try and use counter that has decor.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Not now. I've removed them.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Yes
Please describe the patch or change you made. Nov 7 patch.

This issue started after the nov patch.

My sim will start the meal, halfway through will pick it up and go across the house or down to the basement, etc to use a counter thats not in the kitchen, if the counter she moves to is filled she won't cook the meal.Or if she has two stoves in the house, she will use the one farthest away.

All mods removed

Game up to date.

Tried fresh town, fresh folder.

using the correct graphics card.

Message 1 of 45 (14,590 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Sims won't use dishwasher even when directed to

[ Edited ]
Hero

• Sims should now use the closest counter to prepare Garden Salads of any portion size.
  • Sims should now use the closest sink to wash dishes.
  • Sims should now only use a single Kitchen space to prepare a meal, even on Lots with multiple kitchens.

Few fixes in Patch Fixed in Patch 1.45.62

I'm going to lock this thread. If you have further issues, please create a new thread.

This time, we're going to have one thread per issue so nothing gets lost.

EDIT 2021/07/24: If you are having this issue again, please use this thread: https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/Sims-using-far-away-counters-to-cook-Patch-1-77-131/td-p/10538...

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

View in thread

Message 45 of 45 (13,823 Views)

All Replies

Re: [OPEN] Sims using far away object instead of close one

Hero

Added 

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 2 of 45 (14,471 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Apprentice

Same here sister ! 

My sim has been doing that twice now, she starts cooking in the kitchen and will go accross the flat,up the stairs, to use the bathroom counter to finish the preparation then returns to the kitchen to cook. Like ... Whaaat ?

And thats only started with the latest patch, although I changed lots so I'm not 100% sure

Message 3 of 45 (14,439 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

Similar situation for me, my sim uses sink I've set outside instead of the dishwasher which is in kitchen near the sim. Started in the latest time, have not seen something like that before. (I'm sure dishwasher is not broken and it is not busy).

Message 4 of 45 (14,416 Views)

★★ Novice
This is the same issue with me, but with a different object!

I have three computers; one downstairs in my kids bedroom and two upstairs; one in the parents bedroom and one in the eldest daughters room.

I would click on the computer upstairs in the daughters room, for example, and my daughter sim would go all the way downstairs to use the computer in her brothers room; even when she's standing right in front of it! I even made her sit in front of the computer, but nope, she goes downstairs.

And to make things WEIRDER, if the dad is using the sons computer, I will ask the daughter sim to use the computer upstairs.
INSTEAD, she waves her arms and says that she can't get to that computer... only for the dad to finish using it and then she goes and uses the same computer the dad was just on!!!

WTF?! They're both writers, and neither of them can use two computers, it has to be the same one?!?!
Message 5 of 45 (14,391 Views)

★★★ Guide

I just wanted to provide an update, that now its not just with cooking, its with eating to.here's a video:

Message 6 of 45 (14,360 Views)

★★ Pro

I had a Sim walk out of their kitchen away from plenty of available counter (plus island) space to use a counter in his living room that's part of a home entertainment center setup. I haven't seen any of my Sims do anything like this for a very long time.

Message 7 of 45 (14,341 Views)

Re: Sims don't always eat at dining table

★★★ Novice

This is happening to me all the time. It's not about being social, because out of my 5 sims, I'll have people eating their dinners scattered across the beds of three different rooms. One will cook the meal and go sit on the nicest bed, another will follow them, a third will head over to the kid's bedroom and sit in there by themselves, and I have another room nearby for toddler beds and I'll even have someone go sit in there all by themselves!

I was thinking maybe it was because my beds had such a high comfort rating and my dining chairs were pretty basic, but upgrading the dining chairs didn't help at all and the toddler beds are pretty uncomfortable. I've been having to constantly tell people to grab a serving, then tell them to sit in the chair because they're walking halfway across the house to sit by themselves in an empty bedroom instead.

I heard someone say that setting the table using the Parenthood options would make people sit at the table, but it doesn't help at all. My best option might be to just lock every bedroom door so sims can't go sit on someone else's bed, but that doesn't stop them from sitting in their own room.

I've had problems with sims auto-using all kinds of things too far away when there's something right next to them, especially using the toilet and then walking across the house to the other bathroom to wash their hands (identical sink to the bathroom they were in) or sims insisting on washing dishes in the bathroom sink on the other side of the house when there's a kitchen sink just a few feet away.

Those are really annoying because I often have someone else using that bathroom and get embarrassed moodlets by accident a lot (as an aside, when do we get an update that will let sims lock the bathroom door when they're using it?) but the dining table one is annoying because I want them to socialize while eating but they're almost never sitting in the same room unless I specifically tell them to. I'm on the verge of just getting rid of my dining table because it only gets used to do homework (since my child sims completely ignore their desk for this purpose also).

Attached a screenshot of a typical dinner, where the person who cooked the meal went off to sit by herself in her bedroom, while everyone else decided to sit at the table. This is pretty rare, all these other people usually go off into separate rooms too.

Message 8 of 45 (14,311 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

I have all of the bugs mentioned here. My sims refuse to use the sink and dishwasher in the kitchen. But go upstairs to do the dishes in the bathroom. I tried every EA counter, sink and dishwasher but it did not help. Also they won't eat at the diningtable anymore but instead go to the bedroom to sit on the bed and last but not least they also start to cook a meal in the kitchen and then walk to the bathroom to finish cooking the meal. I have the same house and never had these problems. It started with the cats and dogs patch.

Message 9 of 45 (14,297 Views)

Re: Sims don't always eat at dining table

★★ Apprentice

If and when you start a new thread, I'd like to add that isn't not just eating.  It happens in many ways, but I'll give an example with homework:

I have a teen sim that refuses to use her desk, the chair at a nearby table, or even her own bed, and instead walks all the way to the toddler's bed, where the toddler is CURRENTLY SLEEPING, and sits and does it there.

This is despite:

- the chair at the desk is high comfort

- the chair at the table is high comfort

- her bed is high comfort

- the toddler's bed is not comfortable at all

- there is no one in the vicinity who is awake to socialize with

She won't even STAY at the desk if I put her book on the desk in the central homework position, tell her to sit in the chair that's docked at that position, and then tell her to do her homework.  She immediately picks it up, stands, and walks all the way to the other side of the house to sit on the toddler's feet again.

There's no way this is as-intended.

Other cases include walking across the house to use a vanity to wash dishes even though there is a very-high-quality, fully-upgraded kitchen sink right next to the plate that was picked up, going to the furthest possible bathroom to relieve themselves, going to the furthest possible fridge to get food (when they all have the same contents!), etc.

Honestly, it happens in so many ways that I almost think someone's simply sorting the potential location scores in the reverse order and thus picking the least, rather than most, preferable.  Most of the time no one notices because small homes have only one of each basic resource.

Message 10 of 45 (14,273 Views)