HDR not working? - BFV on PC

by CptCondescending

Original Post

HDR not working? - BFV on PC

★★★★★ Newbie

So I've been playing BFV this evening as I have it on EA Access Premier, but I'm having issues with the HDR.

I have a Wasabi Mango UHD430, which is 4k 96hz HDR, an Nvidia GTX 1080ti graphics card, Intel 7820x CPU etc.

HDR works fine for other games such as Shadow of the Tomb Raider, Forza Horizon 4, and Black Ops 4, but it seems Battlefield 5 is having serious issues.

I load up the game, set my refresh rate to 96hz, and set HDR to auto. HDR seemingly turns on, as i have the HDR brightness options, and can adjust them to my liking. However, judging by the image i'm getting, HDR isn't actually working at all! Everything looks extremely washed out, and to me it looks like the game is rendering an HDR image, but is displaying an SDR image. It looks very similar to when I record an HDR game with Shadowplay, which is only SDR, or when a game like Forza doesn't switch to HDR properly after a graphics driver issue.

I've tried many all kinds of combinations of HDR settings in windows, Nvidia's control panel, my monitor and the game, but nothing seems to change. I can run in SDR just fine, and the image isn't unduly washed out, but I cannot get HDR to work. I had this issue in Battlefield 1 and Battlefront 2, but I do not have this issue in Mass Effect Andromeda. I have not tried any other Frostbite engine games.

If anyone has any suggestions I'd be delighted to hear them, because at this point I'm very frustrated.

Thanks

Message 1 of 9 (11,304 Views)

Re: HDR not working? - BFV on PC

Community Manager

@CptCondescending Hmmm, that's a bit of an odd one as when playing with HDR enabled I have not seen a similar effect. 

It may be that your monitor is not calibrated correctly, can I ask if you have spent any time calibrating your screen and what you used for reference?

Also when using HDR do you enable it on Windows 10, if you normally do can you go ahead and leave it off as the game should automatically detect if your monitor supportsit.

If there is no change can you open your Nvidia Control Panel, Change Resolution, and then set  Output to dynamic range.

Let me know how you get on.

Darko

Darko.png
Message 2 of 9 (11,263 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

Hi,

Yeah it is a bit of an odd one isn't it.

Monitor is calibrated using an older factory calibrated monitor as reference. As I said it's definitely correct and working in other titles.

I do usually have it enabled in Windows 10, but I have tried disabling it. As I said the game does then detect it as hdr compatible but he image being presented is definitely compressed down to SDR. 

I've also tried changing from nVidia's automatic settings and set it to 10 bit full dynamic range etc, but neither made a difference.

Again, it works fine in other games. Mass Effect Andromeda for example, but in Battlefield 1, V and Battlefront 2 I'm having this weird issue.

Thanks for the reply

Message 3 of 9 (11,252 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Mass Effect Andromeda is the only game where HDR works correctly , in no case scenerio should you turn hdr on windows the game should detect and react accordingly.

Having issue with battlefield 1 and V HDR looks  grayish compared to andromeda . 

Message 4 of 9 (11,154 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

Same exact issue here. Assad is creed hdr love oks great. Battlefield 5... everything is grayed like a fog is over the whole game. Any solutions?

Message 5 of 9 (10,609 Views)

★★★ Newbie
@CptCondescending I had this issue, solved it by turning off HDR in game, and then turning on HDR in Windows 10, after that open the game and press alt+tab to minimize it, then alt+tab again to restore it, at that time you will see the difference that HDR is enabled.
Message 6 of 9 (9,312 Views)

Community Manager

Thanks for taking the time to share your fix @zaanx91.

Darko

Darko.png
Message 7 of 9 (9,304 Views)

★★★ Newbie

i had the exact same issue. My fix was going into display settings on your pc and enable the tabs for hdr. after that i havent had washed out lights and darks it looks amazing now. hopefully that helps you.

Message 8 of 9 (4,899 Views)

Community Manager

Great to hear that you got it sorted @SirFrizzler and thanks for sharing your fix.

I'm going to lock this thread as it is quite old.

Darko 

Darko.png
Message 9 of 9 (4,880 Views)