Re: Please Adjust EASHL Drop-In Games

by EA_Blueberry

Original Post

Please Adjust EASHL Drop-In Games

★ Novice

As it stands right now, if the opposing team (or my team) fully quit the game, the game automatically ends, and no stats, xp, or progress is earned. This is severely turning people away from playing these game modes because it is rendering all of the time spent playing this mode absolutely useless. AT THE VERY LEAST, you should be rewarding those who have remained in the game their stats, XP earned, etc. to the point where the last member of the opposing squad dropped out of the game. We all know this is not a "server issue", it's a "i'm losing by a ton of goals and don't want to stick around" issue. The game is brand new, and it already takes over a minute to find a lobby. That lobby currently consists of maybe 4-5 players, and some of them back out at the last minute, leaving multiple games where it's 4 vs 2, 3 vs 2, etc. 

I firmly believe you need to punish those who quit mid game. Have an increasing punishment to deter people from quitting out of games. First violation is a 10 min ban, 2nd, 30 min, 3rd is one hour, etc. This game is supposed to be fun. Please make the necessary adjustments, and also fix the faceoff loop glitch that is plaguing other aspects of your title. 

Message 1 of 17 (5,187 Views)

Community Manager
@K1ng0fHartsTTV

Anyone else have thoughts on OP's suggestion?

@K1ng0fHartsTTV

Do you think there should be challenges that have special rewards for completing X amount of games continuously?
Blueberry.png
Message 2 of 17 (5,111 Views)

★ Novice

I think rewarding continuous game completion would actually hurt more than help. The reason I say this is because if people are simply staying in the game, just to complete it, they could have adverse actions on the ice that could ruin the game for others. The best step forward would be to implement a sliding punishment scale for those who exit the game early. Something to the tune of the following:

1st offense - Warning message that pops up after player gets back to dashboard

2nd offense - 5 minute cool down period, not allowing any access to EASHL

3rd offense - 15 minute cool down period, not allowing any access to EASHL

4th offense - 30 minute cool down period, not allowing any access to EASHL

5th offense - 1 hour cool down period, not allowing any access to EASHL

6th offense - 3 hour cool down period, not allowing any access to EASHL

etc. etc.

This would significantly curb the quitting factor. However, along with those, to prevent the continuous game completion scenario from bleeding over into this system, you would need to implement team grades and automatically kick those who fall below a certain threshold, as to not punish the other team. 

Message 3 of 17 (5,095 Views)

Community Manager

@K1ng0fHartsTTV 

Thank you for the breakdown! This was a popular discussion on our NHL 21 forums last year. We're always interested in getting more feedback from others, if anyone is lurking this post feel free to pop in with your suggestions.

I think the cooldowns you're suggesting are fair and not over the top, @K1ng0fHartsTTV 

Blueberry.png
Message 4 of 17 (5,063 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I officially gave up on Drop Ins this year.  Played one, that was one too many.  It isn/t EA's fault, but rather, the player base.  Players sitting in dressing room jockeying for best team, then jumping out at the last second.  Spend more time in dressing room than in actual game play.  With today's player, as soon as they go down couple of goals (if you are lucky), they quit, no fortitude.  Human goalies are the worst.  This is on top of the fact that the mode is often a selfish goal scorefest which isn't real hockey anyway.  My advice to you, find friends and play with people in EASL, experience is so much better and closer to real hockey.  I wish drops didn't exist because this is never going to get better and it just fractures the player base.

Message 5 of 17 (5,018 Views)

Community Manager
@fear_the_nut70

Do you think drop ins would be a better experience if there was no dressing room then? You can party up with a friend if you want, select primary and backup position, then queue up to be sent into a game with others?
Blueberry.png
Message 6 of 17 (5,012 Views)

★★★ Newbie

What might help is if players couldn't see details from opponents, like the playoffs in EASL.  I think people see LV experience and assume this correlates with better players, and if their team has the lower levels, they drop.  

Message 7 of 17 (5,002 Views)

[ Edited ]

Seeing the other team's stats is a great way to adopt a proper strategy. If someone has 3,000 goals in 3v3 for example, you know they are just meta scrubs and know to hang back, if they just show as having a ton of hits you know you can bait them into penalties, that sort of thing. I absolutely hate having teams constantly drop out of the dressing room over and over. If matchmaking was good, we wouldn't have to worry about any of this since both teams would be relatively balanced.

There should most definitely be a penalty for quitting early but EA needs to step up to the plate and start fixing matchmaking/connectivity issues that honestly seem to only happen in EA titles -- Legit connection losses are absolutely infuriating. Yes, a 10,000,000 gigajoules per nanosecond connection doesn't guarantee you'll see no lag, but when the servers themselves cause bottlenecks, we're gonna have a bad time.

I don't want to see a vote kick option because I think it can be abused but I can totally see why players would opt to just leave in a drop-in game; they basically mean nothing and sometimes teammates can REALLY suck.

CCP Hero Banner - Red.png

Don't be sad, this is just how it works out sometimes
Message 8 of 17 (4,976 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Wow, so many valid points and wonderful feedback. However, for me, my biggest issue is with being able to actually drop in to a game. More often than not this year, I have had several sessions of searching with no avail. It is an absolute waste of time and corrupting my feelings towards the game. I am all about teaming up with friends to drop, but sometimes this is not feasible (schedules don’t align) which means spending 20 minutes at minimum to join a game (generally closer to an hour). At this point I play something else. I have never enjoyed any NHL title for the offline mode, I purchase this title straight up for the online game play. However, this is the first year I have struggled to even see a dressing room, let alone experience players backing out at the last minute. Obviously the system is broken and has been, I really don’t care about stats, RP, or any other metric, I’d much rather prefer to enjoy a game. I don’t expect to recreate a legit hockey experience, but would love the opportunity to be apart of a live game on consistent basis. Listen to your audience, if it’s important to them, I believe as a company you should make important to you.

Message 9 of 17 (4,737 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

Agreed. People judge level to determine whether or not your any good but don’t always know how to play as a team themselves. Also about human goalies yes, it is bad cause they get lit up too often and makes them quit and it’s not always their fault, they can just feel the judgment. I only play drop in’s with a/as a human goalie as long as there is a another one on the opposition’s side. Which leads to the other problem. If my one gets lit up or even gets scored on once they quit which then can give a huge advantage to the other team. A.I. goalies still have a better advantage than (most) human goalies. I would like to see a toggle option on whether or not you want human goalies on your team as to avoid these situations. You can even expand it to how many human skaters as well. Clubs has these options why not drop in’s? That way if one of the human goalies quit the game ends and no one can complain about anything related to that game. 

Message 10 of 17 (4,574 Views)