Re: R-99 Extremely Powerful

by Cakito7

Original Post

R-99 Extremely Powerful

★★★★ Novice

One of the best aspects of Apex Legends is being able to choose any weapon you like and still defeat enemies and have fun.

However, the R-99 takes away part of that choice. It's extremely high DPS, easy to control recoil, tight hipfire spread and overall reliability make this gun an easy pick over other guns, not only SMGs. 

Here are some suggestions on how to nerf the R-99 to keep it more in line with other guns (not all of them are necessary):

- Reduce damage by 1 and increase magazine size by 2: this will decrease that extremely high DPS while maintaining the same damage per magazine

- Increase horizontal recoil: the very straight up recoil pattern makes it easy to hit targets even at long range. Being an SMG, it should excel at close range and let other weapons such as the Alternator or Volt be a more precise option

- Increase reload time: this will make the gun less forgiving in case of missing shots, requiring a bit more mastery

- Decrease rate of R-99s in loot: although being extremely powerful, it is really easy to find an R-99, as well as light ammo. Just as the Devotion, this gun should be harder to find due to being a high tier gun

Apex Legends should be about having fun and being good because of your skill, not because of the gun you use. 

Message 1 of 6 (842 Views)

★ Guide
@Leogama78 hemlock, flatline, r301, spifire, havoc, devotion, volt, prowler > r99
Message 2 of 6 (741 Views)

★★ Pro

@Leogama78 wrote:

One of the best aspects of Apex Legends is being able to choose any weapon you like and still defeat enemies and have fun.

However, the R-99 takes away part of that choice. It's extremely high DPS, easy to control recoil, tight hipfire spread and overall reliability make this gun an easy pick over other guns, not only SMGs. 

Here are some suggestions on how to nerf the R-99 to keep it more in line with other guns (not all of them are necessary):

- Reduce damage by 1 and increase magazine size by 2: this will decrease that extremely high DPS while maintaining the same damage per magazine

- Increase horizontal recoil: the very straight up recoil pattern makes it easy to hit targets even at long range. Being an SMG, it should excel at close range and let other weapons such as the Alternator or Volt be a more precise option

- Increase reload time: this will make the gun less forgiving in case of missing shots, requiring a bit more mastery

- Decrease rate of R-99s in loot: although being extremely powerful, it is really easy to find an R-99, as well as light ammo. Just as the Devotion, this gun should be harder to find due to being a high tier gun

Apex Legends should be about having fun and being good because of your skill, not because of the gun you use. 

Can you show me how you control the R99 recoil at long range? I like the nonexistent recoil you are speaking of.

R99 has the lowest damage of absolutely all weapons. Yeah you heard it here first. P2020 damage is higher, R45 damage is higher. It also have very bad leg damage, as well as very low head multiplier damage. One of the worst if not. The recoil actually kicks pretty hard if you use it in range, and also its hard to keep on target, unless you are running no-recoil macros. Mag Size its good, but its pretty balanced.

Now saying all this, don`t get me wrong, R99 is a very strong weapon in the right hand, just as it should be, and just as pretty much every other weapons in the game.

R99 its quite unique for its super fast rate of fire, and again in the right hand this is a +, but it could be a - as well.

Its a -, cause if you fail to track even for a half a second, you will miss your entire mag. 
I do think people that have bad movements are complaining mostly of R99, cause then you can get deleted.
I`m not saying i didn`t die to it, cause that would be a lie, but i barely lose a fight against it. If you move well, he will miss most of his shots, unless he have some god tier aim. The only times i get deleted by this weapon is by someone jumping on me right from behind when i fight other team.

Is it strong - yes.

Is it the strongest - definitely not by far.

Is it OP - not even close.

Better alternatives? Depends in the close range Mastiff will outperform it most of the time, comparing pretty much similar levels opponent to U.

What is 100% better at pretty much anything that R99 can offer ?

R301, Flatline, Spitfire(atm), Volt, Devo and Havoc with Turbocharger will delete you faster as well. :D

Message 3 of 6 (660 Views)

★★★★★ Novice
@Leogama78 no sir. it had its nervs and i think its fine now.

In general i think atm its the best weapon balance since release anyway.
Thinking about the old wingman,r99 or havoc still gives me nightmares.
Message 4 of 6 (549 Views)

★★★★ Novice
@Leogama78 I don't think it's op because you barely finish someone off ehen hitting the full 20 round clip, and usually you miss 4-5 bullets because you it shoots so fast. I personally think that the alternator is better because it's able to finish off people more consistently in 1 clip and has 5 higher dmg per bullet .
Message 5 of 6 (530 Views)

★ Guide

The fact that the R-99 is one of the guns that are less likely to be found in most death boxes proves that this weapon doesn't deserve getting more nerfs at all. 

Message 6 of 6 (465 Views)