Ordnance Balance - Frag Grenades Rebalanced

by Peri_Longbow_plz

Original Post

Ordnance Balance - Frag Grenades Rebalanced

As we all know, we have grenades in this game. We have a total of 3 types.

We have the Thermite Grenade. This ordnance builds a considerably large wall of fire that leaves a damage over time effect on every enemy that walks through it. It explodes immediately upon contact with a surface, so there isn't much of a delay. It sticks around for a little while and makes paths a bit  more dangerous to walk through. Lastly, anyone who is affected by it can be seen through walls for a while thanks to the damage numbers.

Then we have the Arc Star. It has the ability to stick to any surface, that includes enemies as well. It deals impact damage, meaning when it sticks to an enemy, it deals 30 damage, and up to 90 shield damage. When it explodes, it deals 70 damage and up to 100 damage against shields. So if you're lucky, you can deal up to 160 damage with one single grenade against a singular enemy. On top of that, this grenade slows down the enemy considerably.

And then we have the Frag Grenade. It explodes with 100 damage. It doesn't stick to anything, it doesn't block off paths, it doesn't release disco lasers and doesn't make people dance. It just explodes. It's easily avoidable, it's harder to aim than the others since it bounces around. And to be honest, I pick an Arc Star or a Thermite Grenade over a Frag Grenade any day. So while we have the one or the other lucky throws here and there, most of the time it's a wasted grenade and often wasted time.

So how about we improve it a little? It doesn't even need much to become viable. I have 2 simple suggestions.

Suggestion 1 (improvement): The first idea is rather simple and would aim to make the grenade better without altering how it works. As it is an actual, powerful explosive that deals considerable damage, how about we attach a concussive effect on explosion? In other words, similar to what the Bangalore Artillery does, making people walk a bit slower and have a sort of altered vision. That could make this grenade a lot more lethal when it actually hits as being slower would ultimately mean being much more vulnerable to attacks.

Suggestion 2 (Rework): Instead of making the frag grenade work like a regular grenade, we could also turn it into an air-burst-style ordnance. Basically, it travels for a set distance and then explodes in a powerful shrapnel, dealing perhaps lower damage (let's say 50 damage), but have an easier time hitting with it. That would ultimately turn this grenade into a safe-to-use ordnance with little risk attached to it, but it would be weaker compared to the others.

Both ideas are by all means not refined or completely balanced, but I wanted to put this one out there as I feel like frag grenades are just underwhelming.

Message 1 of 1 (200 Views)