Apex devs have the wrong idea about the P2020

by ThisIsYourMoment

Original Post

Apex devs have the wrong idea about the P2020

★★★★★ Apprentice

So it’s very clear that the apex developers want the P2020 to be the worst gun in the game — they’ve stated it numerous times on various discussions. And now, in season 15, they’ve even removed hammerpoints, further cementing its place at the bottom. However, I believe this is very unhealthy for the game, and adding to why players never pick up pistols:

The idea both players and devs have for the P2020, or the Peashooter, as players lovingly call it, is that it’s what you pick up on drop to take early fights and get rid of as soon as you find a better gun. It’s an early game only gun. But there’s a problem with this idea; what are you more likely to find on drop, just a P2020, or one of the 23 other guns in ground loot rotation? There should be no such thing as an “early game only” gun, because every gun is an early game gun. There’s just no point to have a gun so substantially underpowered when every gun is equally likely to be picked up and used throughout the entire game. The P2020 should be just as viable as any other gun is across the mid and late stages of the match.

How to fix? Damage buff, and headshot critical increase. Many people suggest increasing base damage anywhere from the current 18 to somewhere between 19 and 22. I think 20 is a safe and deserving middle ground. Base headshot damage I think can be buffed from 27 to 30, to add more value to good accuracy. Keeping in line with that idea, I think we can keep the current 16 damage on limbs, to punish inaccuracy. This I believe creates a more effective weapon, with a unique function. And bring back hammerpoints, of course. No reason for that to be removed.

Message 1 of 19 (1,667 Views)

Re: Apex devs have the wrong idea about the P2020

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Apprentice

@ThisIsYourMomentMost games have 'weak' guns that only offer usability early game, when half the lobby landed on a bin with a Purple Stock and 2 stacks of Shotgun shells you'd rather have a P2020 than try your luck with meele. Just take pistols on MW for instance.

Message 2 of 19 (1,640 Views)

★★ Pro

I have to disagree.... if Respawn wanted it to be the worst gun in the game, how come in this new season, especially on BM I find more P20's than any other gun in the game? 

In some buildings I have found 5 of them on the floor loot, with not another single weapon. This has been norm for me since Bowel Movement dropped. Only other guaranteed loot is energy and shotties.  

Message 3 of 19 (1,627 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice
@NickBeam27 That’s exactly why they make it so common. They’re not going to make the strongest guns in the game so common that everyone has them off drop. And as such, the P2020 does in fact have a higher loot pool percentage than most guns, save the mozambique and alternator. However, are you only going to find P2020s on drop? No, of course not, the 8% chance for a P2020 is vastly insignificant compared to the 92% made up by the other guns. That 8% just feels like a lot when you’re searching for the specific guns you want, but then again so does the drop rate of all the other weapons that aren’t your choice pick in that scenario. Every time I look for a flatline, I find a thousand other things that aren’t a flatline. But I eventually find it.

The thing is the P2020 is so underpowered at this stage of the game that no one even does use it in the early game. They drop it for nearly anything else on the floor as soon as humanly possible. Even mid-fight.
Message 4 of 19 (1,613 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Apprentice

@AngstyCoder  Yes, but you also find other guns almost just as quickly. Of course you’d rather have a pistol on drop compared to nothing. But you’d also rather have anything else compared to a pistol too. Even in early game fights, you might not even use it at all, because of the likelihood to find another gun and switch it out instantly. So it really doesn’t serve a purpose, not even early game, because of how quickly it’s switched out. I’m saying this is an unhealthy view of how pistols should function in any BR game. I think pistols should serve a more useful function than just an early game weapon you drop as soon as possible. I think it should hold its value as the true sidearm that it’s supposed to be. I don’t play Warzone that much, but at least in the COD multiplayer, my highest kill gun is the M19 pistol on my sniper class. It has value in multiplayer, as I think the P2020 should in apex too. It’s lacking right now, and that’s what I think should change. See my above comment too

Message 5 of 19 (1,607 Views)

★★★★ Guide
@ThisIsYourMoment With the high spawn chance of P2020s, they might as well let me dual-wield them because it is quite often my starting loadout. Some fire rate adjustments might be needed for balancing purposes though. I don't want to make it overpowered, just usable. This way, you can keep the "weak" gun in the pool but also give some kind of dps advantage when you have two of them.
Message 6 of 19 (1,592 Views)

★★ Pro

This is where the Re45 was viable. IMO

Message 7 of 19 (1,565 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice
@NickBeam27 Yeah exactly, I think the re-45 does well where the P2020 does not, regardless of care package
Message 8 of 19 (1,552 Views)

★★★★★ Guide
@AngstyCoder You will probably win a fight with melee alone because its so broken. P2020 literally has no use. It needs a buff.
Message 9 of 19 (1,534 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice
(Bumping to the top)
Message 10 of 19 (1,433 Views)