Re: Unravel startup problems?

by LordInfernusD

Original Post

Unravel startup problems?

★★★ Newbie

Hello.

I have just bought the Unravel game from Origin store.

After installing i press the start game button, but it wont start.

It almost starts it looks like, but the game keep popping back out to windows and nothing happen?

Any ideas to what the problem might be?

I have never in my 20 years of gaming experienced that kind of problem from a new game.

Message 1 of 13 (5,702 Views)

Hero

Hi @alliert

do you by chance have the K-Lite Code Pack installed ? If so, make sure to update it or uninstall

If you don't, could you post your Computer's DxDiag?

To gather a DxDiag on your computer, please follow the steps here: http://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-3/HOW-TO-DxDiag-for-Sims-3-PC-Only/td-p/1049584/

You can attach the txt file to your post directly.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 2 of 13 (5,692 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Hello and thx for replying.

The computer is a Alienware m17x from 2011, with W7Ultimate installed. I gave it to my sisters daughter as a gift this Christmas and I had formatted the computer and restored it to factory default before handing it over. With all updates installed.

So I decided to by her a game this weekend and downloaded Origin to the computer and then bought the game.

I have never heard about the "K - lite code pack" before until now.

I am now writing this post on my own computer, so I wont be able to get any diagnostics from her computer until maybe next weekend.

I did read something about redeeming the game code from EA help?

And then type it in to the trial version found in the games game folder?

Do you have any other suggestion then " gather a DxDiag on your computer "?

Have a nice day

Oscar

Message 3 of 13 (5,672 Views)

Hero

No about that trial version part.

There's a few suggestions been made in a few of the thread in this forum.

Your DxDiag show what kinds of errors the unravel.exe might have been throwing so you can troubleshoot accordingly (although with Win 7 they don't), also knowing your specs helps.

So the easiest is to help when you're actually have access to the computer.

Do make sure Windows and all drivers are up-to-date and make sure there's no programs interfering in the background.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.

Important Threads

Message 4 of 13 (5,629 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Novice

This is exactly the same problem as my laptop has. It's an Asus N53S. It's allready a few years old, but I expected it would run this game, because it runs the latest Battlefield ( on lowest resolution it's nearly playable).

Unravel starts up. The screen blinks black and than it's back to desktop. It's a shame that there is no logfile, no debugging, no windowed mode or commandline options, or anything like that.

The drivers are all latest versions (as far as I can tell). There is no codec installed and I scanned my system for bloatware or other unwanted software.

Also I uninstalled and reinstalled Origin twice and the Unravel game as well.

My dxdiag.txt is attached here. I hope you can tell something from it or at least point me in a general direction. I hope it's not the hardware.......

cheers,

L.

Message 5 of 13 (5,583 Views)

★ Novice

Just took a better look at the hardware specs and I guess It's my videocard. It's a Geforece GT540M, which is too old I guess. Sorry to bother.

Message 6 of 13 (5,579 Views)

Hero

@LordInfernusD

It should run with the 540M, I would think

You also have a graphics chip though so make sure it runs on the card and not the chip through the Nvidia settings.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

Important Threads

Message 7 of 13 (5,575 Views)

★★★ Pro

@alliert uninstalling the Codec Pack help Wink

Message 8 of 13 (4,959 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Hi, I'm having the same issues. Just purchased Unravel, screen goes black when starting the game, then back to the Origin screen. Based on what I saw in other forums, I downloaded the most recent K-lite codec pack 14.7.5 (no change), tried a clean boot (no change), and restored normal boot. Can you please take a look at my dxdiag to see if I've done something that's preventing me from opening the game? Thanks!

Windows 7 pro, intel i7 quad core, 6 GB RAM, DX11

PS I didn't have the K-lite codec pack prior to the failed start, but may have downloaded other codecs a long time ago perhaps... Is there a way to go through and uninstall any of these codecs/is it necessary?

Message 9 of 13 (4,412 Views)

★★★ Pro

@chairlampdog  uninstall video codec pack - quick time, Real Alternative, K-lite codec pack and restart the computer.

Let me know if it helped.

Message 10 of 13 (4,406 Views)