Unravel crashing at launch (not K-Lite, all drivers updated)

by DarkEnerg0n

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Unravel crashing at launch (not K-Lite, all drivers updated)

★★ Novice

Game crashes at launch. Sometimes immediately, sometimes I see the logos, sometimes I get to the title screen and once I saw a few seconds of the opening video. Every time it crashes with no explanation, just says "the game has stopped working". I have looked everywhere for the K-Lite codec pack (which was causing problems for some) and can't find it on my system at all. Also, my drivers are verified up to date. I'll attach my DXDiag file here, please help, thanks!!

Message 1 of 11 (17,090 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Unravel crashing at launch (not K-Lite, all drivers updated)

★★ Novice

After spending a VERY long time chatting with customer service I gave up and had someone else from EA call me, the guy I was talking to at first was the worst.

Anyway, the conclusion was that Windows 10 was somehow causing the issue.

The answer was to create a second account as an admin account and play from there. It worked fine. Nothing else had to be done. 

View in thread

Message 8 of 11 (19,869 Views)

All Replies

Hero

It's the same K-Lite Codec DLL showing as culprit in your DxDiag then the others had.

Did you try downloading the newest version of it and installing that ?

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 2 of 11 (17,032 Views)

★★ Novice

Is it the VSFilter.dll? I'm just so hesitant about installing K-Lite after seeing so many ppl on other forums that got infected files. 

Message 3 of 11 (17,024 Views)

Hero

Yes, that's the one.

Did you try searching your hard drive for the dll ? To see if you have it ?

I do understand your hesitation.

This sees to be the 'official site' for the pack: http://www.codecguide.com/download_kl.htm

You're still be using at your own risk though. I can't be held responsible. Only other option is to wait until EA/Coldwood has fixed the issue.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.

Important Threads

Message 4 of 11 (17,013 Views)

Hero

There's lot of infected copies of K-lite out on the internet indeed. If you use the official site you should be set:

http://www.codecguide.com/download_kl.htm

the basic version should be fine.

carbonic signature

Message 5 of 11 (17,011 Views)

★★ Novice

Installed the basic version of K-Lite and still crashing. I would restart but I'm in the middle of a chat with a guy at EA and I don't want to lose connection...   it's been literally and hour btw and he just figured out I'm not using a Mac after reading my DXDiag....    what the hell...??

Message 6 of 11 (17,005 Views)

Hero

Did you get any results with CS ?

@DarkEnerg0n

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

Important Threads

Message 7 of 11 (16,957 Views)

★★ Novice

After spending a VERY long time chatting with customer service I gave up and had someone else from EA call me, the guy I was talking to at first was the worst.

Anyway, the conclusion was that Windows 10 was somehow causing the issue.

The answer was to create a second account as an admin account and play from there. It worked fine. Nothing else had to be done. 

Message 8 of 11 (19,870 Views)

Hero

Glad you got it solved.

Enjoy your adventures.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

Important Threads

Message 9 of 11 (16,940 Views)

★ Novice

I spent a very long time chatting with EA as well. I'm having the same problems you had. I do not have the K-lite codec pack installed. I tried creating a second admin account and running unravel from there. It crashed on me there too

Message 10 of 11 (15,079 Views)