Re: Unravel crashes on launch

by EA_Darko

Original Post

Unravel crashes on launch

★★ Novice

Sadly Unravel crashes almost every time I launch it. I don't have K-Lite Codec on my Laptop but do have CCCP & VLC installed. After pressing PLAY it appears that my screen is switching to an inferior resolution as the ICONS all get bigger & fuzzy. I'm running a pretty new Intel Core i7 laptop with Windows 10, 64 bit, and Nvidia  GTX1050 video card.

Di I need K-Lite or will CCCP or VLC work just fine?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Message 1 of 13 (6,250 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice

Perhaps Unravel is running on your internal graphics hardware. You should check Nvidia Control Panel -> Manage 3D Settings -> Program Settings -> Unravel.exe and choose your graphic card instead of internal graphics.
I had similar problems like you and this was the soulution in my case.

I don't know why but I have to go through this procedure after every Geforce driver update.

Good luck!

Message 2 of 13 (6,197 Views)

★★ Novice
Thanks for the quick reply. Your idea seems like a pretty good one, but unfortunately it doesn't seem to be working.

Any other thoughts would be appreciated!
Message 3 of 13 (6,177 Views)

Community Manager

@Raygun113 Is the game definitely running on your Nvidia care and not the integrated card?

Darko.png
Message 4 of 13 (6,159 Views)

★★ Novice

Hi EA Darko, I thought I changed my settings to the Nvidia Card instead of the Integrated card, but now I'm not so sure. My first attempt to do so involved the following 4 Steps:

1 Open Nvidia Control Panel and choose Program Settings

2 -In Section 1 - chose "unravel.exe"

3 In Section 2 - chose High Performance NVidia Processor,  (see attached Screen Shot)

4 Hit the APPLY key

After reading your response I double checked the settings and did the following 5 Steps:

1 Open Nvidia Control Panel and choose Program Settings

2 -In Section 1 I chose "unravel.exe"

3 In Section 2 I chose High Performance NVidia Processor  (see attached Screen Shot)

4 In Section 3 I went to each line and changed anything that looked like it should be NVidia & not Global

5 Hit the APPLY key

Thus, I'm not totally positive I changed the Settings but I think its possible.

Message 5 of 13 (6,151 Views)
Highlighted

Community Manager

@Raygun113  Can you try the following steps to see if they help

1. Right Click on Desktop
2. Select nVidia Control Panel
3. In left panel select "Manage 3D Settings"
4. In right panel select Global Tab
5. Under "Preferred Graphics Processor" select "Auto-Select" and hit APPLY button

Now try again and see if it properly selects correct GPU. If not

6. Repeat steps 1 thru 3 above
7. In right panel select "Program Settings" tab
8. Under section 1., check the box for "only programs on this computer"
9. then hit the "Add" button and find the program that you want to run on nVidia card
10 Go down to section 2. and select nVidia processor

Darko.png
Message 6 of 13 (6,141 Views)

★★ Novice
Hi EA,
Thanks for the instructions. I tried both suggestions exactly as described without success. Then I tried a few variations after that. Perhaps 10 re-boots in total.

Could there be another angle we haven't tried?
Message 7 of 13 (6,132 Views)

Community Manager

@Raygun113 Are you playing on an admin account? 

Darko.png
Message 8 of 13 (6,119 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice

Sorry @EA_Darko for butting in this conversation again Standard smile  but only one (last) idea from me:

@Raygun113Does this little Nvidia icon (GPU activity monitor) show activity when you try to start Unravel and you ALT-Tab back to Windows Desktop (Unravel still in background),
like this?

https://goo.gl/images/4qTF9J

https://goo.gl/images/FFJQqi

In my case that was giving me the hint to check for the driver settings.

Greetings

Only wanted to share my experiences. From now on I'll leave it to you EA professionals. Wink

[ My System: Acer Notebook with Intel Core i7, Geforce GTX 860M, Windows 10 64 bit  ...  Unravel runs flawlessly. ]

Message 9 of 13 (6,110 Views)

★★ Novice

Hi EA & MAD,

I appreciate the input I'm receiving from both of you! Unravel looks like a great game that my wife & I are hoping to play some Friday night.

To answer both your questions:

1) I'm not sure how to run the game in Admin mode? Does this mean I join Origin again in a different way or access it in some other manner?

2) The tiny green NVidia Icon did not appear to flicker or change color when I Alt-Tabbed back to it.

Hmm...the main difference I see between our systems is different video cards. Could there be an issue with my version?

Thanks again!

Message 10 of 13 (6,093 Views)