Unravel Two: game doesn't work (crash on first cut scene - AMD Phenom II)

by MC_TechLead

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Unravel Two: game doesn't work (crash on first cut scene - AMD Phenom II)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

Hi, I bought Unravel Two today, but the game doesn't work.

I'm able to start the game, choose a memory slot, then start a game, watch the cut scene (boat in a storm and so on) but at the end of the cut scene, around the moment when there's a lighthouse, the screen turns black for a few seconds, sound stops and then game just closes itself instantly without any error messages and I end up at my windows desktop. 

What I've tried so far:

- Reinstalled video drivers

- Reinstalled Origin and the game, tried the "Repair" option

- Read a bit about Unravel and it's codec issue. So I checked if there are any codecs (there were none installed), uninstalled VLC as I saw someone had a problem because of it.

- Ran the game and Origin as administrator

None of above helps.

"Windows Error Reporting" section of DxDiag file looks obscure to me, maybe somebody could advice.

Message 1 of 22 (23,165 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: UnravelTwo crashes after first cutscene

EA app Team

Hi everyone,

I have merged a few threads into the same one as you are all describing the same issue with AMD Phenom II CPUs.

As these CPUs are below the minimum requirements for the game, they are not supported. If you have another computer that meets these minimum requirements, I would recommend trying the game there.

If this is not an option for you, please keep in mind the Great Game Guarantee - if that's what you want, one of our advisers will be able to tell you if you are eligible for a refund. You can contact them through EA Help.

You will find a detailed explanation on how to contact them if you need it here.

Thanks,

-Mai

View in thread

Message 10 of 22 (23,343 Views)

All Replies

UnravelTwo crashes after first cutscene

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

I bought the game and tried to play it, but the game crashes after the first cutscene with the ship. The game just closes without any kind of error message.

I tried updating my graphics drivers and installing/deinstalling the klite codec, which caused problems in unravel 1.

Neither worked.

My current rig is running windows 10.

CPU: AMD Phenom II X& 1090T 3.2GHz. It's old but still powerfull enough for most game. I hope it is not related to my cpu not supporting sse3 or higher.

Ram: 12 GB DDR3 Ram 

GPU: Amd Radeon R9 380

If I can somehow deliver logs to help the troubleshooting, please tell me how.

Thank you in advance.

Message 2 of 22 (22,998 Views)

Re: Unravel Two: game doesn't work (crash on first cut scene)

★★ Novice

Hi Vic_trigger.
I subscribed to Origin access just to try the trial and cover it for my yt channel.

What is happening it's not your fault or mine.
The game requires a better CPU than both Phenoms that we have.

It's not lack of power by any means.
But both our Phenom II X4 lack SSE 4.1/4.2 instructions which the game requires to play.

It's not the first game to happen this, you have multiple other examples, like the Crew 2, AC origins etc..
You had Mafia 3 and many many other games that didn't started after cutscenes, but all of them aside from the latest Ubisoft game, ended up to receive a patch.

I still have hope that EA and the dev team might find some consideration for the low end users and add support for non-SSE 4.2/4.1 CPU users.
I would be glad if the dev team would reply if they are willing to find a way to fix it, just like many other dev teams done it too.
Cheers

Message 3 of 22 (23,041 Views)

★★ Novice
It is related to the fact that Phenom II don't support SSE 4.2
I have a Phenom II X4 and I'm suffering from the same problem, and more people that are complaining with the same issues, also have Phenom II cpus.
Hopefully they will release a patch like many other developers.
Altough without confirmation the only thing left is hope.
I've brought a 1 month origin access pass for this.
What a waste of money,
Message 4 of 22 (22,984 Views)

★★★ Novice

Hi, thank you very much for your response!

Yes, that's a shame, the CPU is still perfectly fine for day-to-day tasks and gaming on most part, but looks like time to upgrade has come Frown

And you're absolutely right, this is not the first game, so.. we've got no choice.

However, it still would be nice if EA/developers have put this specific CPU requirement on the official origin page of Unravel Two. I just wouldn't have bought the game right away Frown

So, looking forward for a patch (but seriously, no real hope on that) and saving money for upgrade Wink

Cheers!

Message 5 of 22 (23,031 Views)

[ Edited ]
EA app Team

Hi,

@MC_TechLead, while your computer does meet most of the minimum requirements for the game, unfortunately, your CPU (AMD Phenom II X4 910e) is below the required AMD FX 4350 @ 4.2 GHz.

I wish I had better news for you. If you want to review the complete requirements, you can find them in Origin or here: https://answers.ea.com/t5/Unravel-Two/Unravel-Two-FAQ/td-p/6843671

Thanks,
-Mai

Message 6 of 22 (23,028 Views)

★★ Novice

Hi there.
I agree we are all below the minimum requirements

Altough a FX-4150 is weaker than a Phenom II X4 dispite being more recent.
What is happening is the Phenom II X4 lacks SSE 4.2, many games have released a patch fixing this dependencies, even when the same happened in here (being below the requirements)

The big question is.. are you going to even try to find a way to workaround it or we can just forget it?

Message 7 of 22 (23,005 Views)

Unravel Two: game doesn't work (crash on first cut scene)

★★★ Newbie

Hello! I just bought Unravel Two and I get this weird crash.
When I start the game I can create a new savegame, I see the animation of the boat, and as soon its over, the screen goes black, game doesnt respond, and it closes itself.
Im adressing my DxDiag on files. Thank to all of you who answear!

ALSO I saw this same error in this post:

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Unravel-Two/Unravel-Two-game-doesn-t-work-crash-on-first-cut-scene/m-p/685...

And I know its already solved there, but I want to know if there is something I can do.

Message 8 of 22 (22,951 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

Yeah, I have Phenom II X6 and it also crashes after first cutscene for me, with no error message. Lucky for me that I only installed 10 hour trial first without purchasing though.

Message 9 of 22 (22,914 Views)

EA app Team

Hi everyone,

I have merged a few threads into the same one as you are all describing the same issue with AMD Phenom II CPUs.

As these CPUs are below the minimum requirements for the game, they are not supported. If you have another computer that meets these minimum requirements, I would recommend trying the game there.

If this is not an option for you, please keep in mind the Great Game Guarantee - if that's what you want, one of our advisers will be able to tell you if you are eligible for a refund. You can contact them through EA Help.

You will find a detailed explanation on how to contact them if you need it here.

Thanks,

-Mai

Message 10 of 22 (23,344 Views)