Re: [Guide] "How to install Swtor Correctly and address Windows 10 issues&a

by PastandFurious

Original Post

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

Well, I have just updated my computer, to a power house. I figured now I should be able to run this game with no issue. I start to install the game, and wait 5 hours for the download to complete. I was not sure what was going on when I tried to play the starter areas, and it crashed the program. So I decided to wait until the game was fully downloaded. I got past the splash screen, and after the intro movie. Once I pasted the movie, I was greeted by the frozen splash screen.

I am glad that there was a solution found for this. However this is not acceptable in anyway to have this issue going on for as long as I am seeing (forum post about this issue since April 3), and require this much work to be done to a game that I was just about to pay for the privilege to play. I myself work in IT, the number one thing that we recommend to our customers when pushing any type of update to their servers is to make sure they have an image, or something in place to roll back to if it breaks functionality of their sites.

I am not 100% familiar with what caused this issue, but if this started after a patch, then Bioware should have rolled back that patch as soon as this problem was discovered. I am now looking at another 5 hours and a load of other configurations that would need to be done in order to pay to play a game ( I understand that I do not have to pay to play the game, but I unlike most people in gaming now a days, have no problems supporting a game that I like). I think this is the last time I will visit this game. To Bioware, I say get out of bed with EA, shut this down and make us Star Wars Knights Of The Old Republic 3 (Please do not use the same engine that you used for SWTOR). I am thankful that I did not subscribe before downloading the client. I will go play some WoW now, cause guess what, I can play that on Windows 10.

Message 21 of 42 (3,546 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero

@Alphadoom

I've played a few MMOs like WoW, Aion and this one and haven't seen any roll back a patch.  It's usually them putting out a hot fix fix for anything broken afterward but that's it.

As for the issue at hand one issue that I've seen going on is due to a recent AVG update blocking swtor and someone said also blocking another MMO.  If your using AVG then that could be the reason for your issue, the common issues thread talks about a solution there.

If not there are other things that could be causing it but it depends. If the game crashes you can attach a DxDiag log to your post which may will figure out the cause of the issue.  It's not always a patch but could be something else causing the issue.  If it crashes again you can use this guide on how to attach a DxDiag log here

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“PATIENCE YOU MUST HAVE my young padawan”

– Yoda

Server: Satele Shan

Volunteer forum moderator, I do not work for EA / BW.
Message 22 of 42 (3,540 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

Yes but i think it isn't blocking it...why do you ask?

Message 23 of 42 (3,517 Views)

@PastandFurious

Dual monitor ? with the launcher closed

To clear the red screen go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\BioWare\Star Wars-The Old Republic\swtor

and delete the file called diskcachearena then start the launcher

SWTOR Forum Username = OwenBrooks
Australian (Fellow SWTOR Player) volunteer moderator. I do not work for EA.
Photo of my New Speeder 
More information about: Becoming a Champion 
SWTOR FAN Community Website Click Here

Message 24 of 42 (3,516 Views)

[ Edited ]

@PastandFurious wrote:

Yes but i think it isn't blocking it...why do you ask?

@PastandFurious

AVG did an update it seems about the same time 

It is now listed in the known issues most get no server , but some seem to get freezing as well.

• Symptom: No server list or game not launching - with AVG.
    Workaround - disable "link scanner surf-shield" before playing.
    (Source) and here

it isn't confined to swtor other games have as well it seems, see reddit example here

I play swtor on Win 10 here now and still on the install from 2012 , originally on Win 7 and now moved on 3 hard drives so far without issue.

Most recent issues on Win 10 have been either OS based or Driver based, worst was the Nvidia issue mentioned here and here

Latest Windows beta appears to resolve the last of this particular issue.

Photo of my New Speeder 

Message 25 of 42 (3,518 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

Whait...what does diskcachearena do?

I don't want to delete a file that may be usefull in the future

Message 26 of 42 (3,513 Views)

@PastandFurious

Its the games cache file , a fresh one is auto created when you launch next, so it is safe to delete

Photo of my New Speeder 

Message 27 of 42 (3,509 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

Ok...and what link scanner surf-shield do exactly?

Message 28 of 42 (3,506 Views)

Hero

@PastandFurious

Link Scanner Surf Shield is an AVG feature.  I'm not sure what it does but did a quick Google Search and found this:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/231778/avg_linkscanner_free_edition.html

Article is a bit old but most likely it still does what it says there.  You'd have to contact AVG or go to their website for more information.  But whatever AVG updated that feature is blocking swtor and other MMOs as well.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“PATIENCE YOU MUST HAVE my young padawan”

– Yoda

Server: Satele Shan

Volunteer forum moderator, I do not work for EA / BW.
Message 29 of 42 (3,500 Views)

Re: [Guide] "How to install Swtor Correctly and address Windows 10 issues&q

★★★ Newbie

If your copy of Windows 10 is "genuine" and fully (Have all current and available updates. This shouldnt be an issue since it automatically updates and installs siad updates in the background.) updated. 

Download the installer. 

Open "downloads", in the File Explorer. 

Double-Click "SWTOR_Setup" . It may or may not include the file type ".zip" at the end of the name.

Follow the on-screen instructions.

ENJOY!!   

Message 30 of 42 (3,485 Views)