Re: Guide "How to install Swtor Correctly and address Windows 10 issues&amp

by DBWoodynz

Original Post

[Guide] "How to install Swtor Correctly and address Windows 10 issues"

[ Edited ]
Champion (Retired)

now select "My Account"

Click "Download Client" ensure to save to your PC.

now open File Location.

Right click the setup.exe and select "Run as Admin".

Very quickly you will have the basics installed and a shortcut will appear on your desktop.

click OK so that you are looking at your desktop now with the shortcut.

Now right click the shortcut and select properties, here you wish to put a tick into "Run as Admin" on the capability tab, click apply/ok.

Run the shortcut now (double click).

Sit back and wait for the client to install then update; you may receive an error or 2 saying something along the lines of "only 1 may run at a time", just click ok and ignore them and continue waiting.

Approximately within a few minutes you should be looking at the nice new Launcher client.

Shut this down NOW.

It is time to address a few firewall issues.

You wish to ensure that -

1) The launcher.exe has inbound and outbound exclusions.
2) The brwc_swtor.exe has inbound and outbound exclusions.

Spoiler

If you have Windows 10 (*Similar Navigation for Windows 7/8 also type "Windows Firewall into the search click advanced).

Click on the "Notifications"

(The page looking icon in the bottom right down by your clock).

Then "VPN"

"Windows Firewall"

Now on the Left Hand Side "Advanced Settings".

Here in the Left Hand Top Corner you will see "Inbound Rules".

You will want to have all 3 exclusions for "Swtor Launcher.exe" "Swtor Bitraider.exe" and finally "Swtor.exe Retail"

*You may have to manually add these.

Click "New Rule" Top Right.

Program > Next>

This Program Path: > Browse> "Navigate to the desired *.exe listed above.  > Next

"Allow the Connection" << VERY VERY IMPORTANT.

"Tick all 3" >Next

"Give it a Name" > Click Finish

*Do this for all 3 exe's ensure that you do the same for "Outbound Rules" also.

**If you already have these exclusions then simply double clicking them 1 at a time to view their "properties" is enough to reevaluate them.

QUOTE=OwenBrooks (*credit where credit is due)

ESET - disable protocol filtering
Kaspersky - disable scan secure/encrypted connections
Nortons (Firewall) set exception to Allow instead of Auto

Now quickly right click the Swtor shortcut on your desktop and select "Open File Location".

Right Click the brwc_swtor.exe and select properties, change this to also "Run as Admin" via the compatibility tab, click apply/ok.

Now it is time to Reboot your Machine.

*If your Launcher is Broken here is the link to the "NEW" tool to fix your Launcher

Located Here (*Updated)

Now that you have Rebooted, lets run the Launcher on your Desktop you will get a small confirmation box notifying you that it is running as admin and that it's permissions are elevated, simply click ok.

(*If your using a Laptop ensure that it is plugged in power and Ethernet cable is preferred).

Go make a Sandwich/Coffee/Work on World Peace

*Here you should see the game information is starting to download, ideally you wish to LEAVE IT ALONE until it is done.

Patience is really an asset here and 100% installed and working mint is better then 5% installed and can fart around on the starting planets and have a world of grief finishing the install.

*If you have Patching issues this link will quickly identify if you should have an issue.

https://www.whatsmydns.net/#A/cdn-patch.swtor.com

Once the game is completely installed and the Launcher Bar completed to 100% and it no longer shows, and the play button is the only thing calling your name...

Shut Down the Launcher - we are not ready yet to click Play.

Now we will once again Open your swtor folder by selecting your desktop shortcut and selecting Open File Location.

Here you will see another swtor folder inside your swtor folder lets navigate our way though it star wars blah blah/swtor/retailclient.

Here you will find your Swtor.exe; as before we are going to change this to "Run as Admin"
(*Right Click, Properties, Compatibility, Tick "Run this program as administrator", Apply, OK, close)

Now lets go back to your Firewalls and add the exclusions in and out for this exe also.

Time to reboot again Standard smile

Cool were back.

Now click Start and type %appdata% into your search bar and hit Enter.

your explorer has now opened up to the address "blah blah appdata/roaming".

Click on the appdata in the address bar so that you can now see the 3 folders Local,LocalLow and Roaming.

Select Local, and scroll down to "Swtor".

Right Click and select Properties, remove the tick from "read only", click apply and yes for including all sub folders and files.

Now lets navigate our way through your appdata/local/swtor/swtor/settings folder so that we can..

now Open client_settings.cfg (opens in notepad).

Here we wish to ensure we have

Spoiler

WindowX = 0
WindowY = 0

NativeHeight = 1080 (This should be your screens 'native resolution')
NativeWidth = 1920 (This should be your screens 'native resolution')

Height = 1080 (This should be your screens 'native resolution')
Width = 1920 (This should be your screens 'native resolution')

RefreshRate = 60 (This should be your screens 'native refresh' rate ideally)
D3DFullScreen = false  (*for now)
FullScreen = false (*for now)

Now Save and Close.

Now would be a great time to ensure that you have manually downloaded and installed Dx9.0c correctly.

Directx9.0c
http://www.microsoft.com/en-nz/download/details.aspx?id=8109

*As before save the file location to your PC, unzip the file.
Now Run the Setup.exe as Administrator (right click).

Power Options for Windows... better off not saving the planet here and just ensuring that all your power settings are set to High - zero power saving options please

Reboot Time Standard smile

Your generally good to play now, sadly windows 10 users have to ensure that they have turned off a few more settings, it helps if you have 7&8 to continue reading also.

Xbox app on Windows 10 contains an Overlay that is recommended that you turn this off, annoyingly you have to actually log into the app with a Microsoft Aaccount in order to do this.. you will find the DVR settings on the 8th icon down on the left and the 2nd tab in, just remove the tick and your goood.

Ati's Raptor and Nvidias Gaming evolved best to not have these running and certainly any and all overlays turned off.

Mumble/Teamspeak/Ventrilo overlays are also temperamental.

QUOTE=OwenBrooks (*credit where credit is due)
ESET - disable protocol filtering
Kaspersky - disable scan secure/encrypted connections
Nortons (Firewall) set exception to Allow instead of Auto

"I stole this link off Owen for rolling back your Video Drivers or clean installs".

Lastest Display Driver installs or reverting Display Drivers

http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

Things to remember I'm doing this at 4 am and I currently do not have access to my previous guide so I will add things as I remember them. All of this should get 99.9% of all swtor gamers up and running.

*If after all of this you still have Network/Connection issues please give the tools that I have provided here a go.

http://answers.ea.com/t5/STAR-WARS-The-Old-Republic/Simple-guide-to-identify-network-issues-for-Swto...

Taking all of this onboard any further issues please either come back with questions and "Logs" or..

https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/star-wars/star-wars-the-old-republic/swtor-support/

*Updated Dec 2016*

This Link Contains all the numbers and options open to you for calling  one of the many Swtor call centers.

Or you can add +18553452186 to your contacts on Skype as this is how I do it from NZ.

*The team that handle the phones are really quick and helpful in these areas, whole things should take you less then 5 minutes if you use Skype.

"To say thank you for reading my guide please feel free to use my cantina codes"

Spoiler

Morning All, Today is Tuesday March 22nd 2018 09:07am in NZ.

I thank all those who still find use from this guide, sadly I have been busy away from the PC and have been unable to put in the time that I once did.

It is nice to see that this guide still emails me and my phone receiving EA XP points, for this reason I am going to add a few "NEW" tid-bits to try and help those navigate some of the changes that I am aware of that have happened with Windows 10 since I first created this guide.

1: Windows 10 has added an almost hidden optimization targeted towards gaming that has created alot of issues for gamers.

If you navigate to your games EXE files you will be able to "Right Click" the EXE (in this case SWTOR.EXE this can be found in your Swtor/retailclient folder; this may be required after each new swtor update);   Here you will wish to click "Properties" and then select the 'Compatibility" Tab.

Down the bottom you will wish to add or ensure that both 

- "Disable Fullscreen Optimizations" &

- "Run this program as Administrator" 

Are Both Ticked, click Apply and now close.

2: If you have an Nvidia card and experience a colour (we spell 'Colour' correctly in NZ) flashing tint all over your screen 'Only' when you load a game, this may be due to how Nvidia and Windows 10 interact.

You will wish to OPEN your "NVIDIA Control Panel", you can do this by simply "Right Clicking" your "Desktop" and selecting it.

Now with NVIDIA Control Panel open select "Adjust Desktop Color Settings" on the left hand colum 

In "2. Choose how color is set", please Select "Use NVIDIA settings" and click "Apply" and then close.  and your done; good to go.

I can only hope that these minor adjustments help those who may still find that they are having issues.

Any massive issues please feel free to sing out.

Enjoy your weekend and free time gaming.

Woody

Message 1 of 42 (118,882 Views)

Re: Guide "How to install Swtor Correctly and address Windows 10 issues&quo

Hero (Retired)

IMO this should be stickied Thumbs up 

Message 2 of 42 (118,704 Views)

★★★ Novice

Got to "Now that you have Rebooted, lets run the Launcher on your Desktop" ran the launcher on my desktop, it opens to the new launcher or whatever, I type my information in and hit login. It puts me on the updating page with the things like "get your exclusive swoop bike!", "Cosplay Contest Livestream" etc. At the bottom it just says "ST" in bold white letters and then next to it "Initializing". The "play" button is greyed out and I'm left sitting here with nothing happening. I had it sitting there for over an hour and it did nothing.

I guess I fall into the .1% of swtor gamers that could not get this running. Really weird you have to jump through so many hoops just to get it to work, but I'm taking all suggestions.

My firewall is off, both .exe's have inbound and outbounds set up correctly (double checked). I rebooted and everything just like the guide says word for word and still I am stuck at "Initializing". Also I tried this without the launcher patch, and after the launcher patch. Both times nothing happens.

Message 3 of 42 (118,648 Views)

Champion (Retired)

Sorry to hear you are having issues; I did work through that guide step by step as cleanly and clearly as I could.

So without any logs it is hard to say, Launcher Logs, Client Settings.cfg and DXdiag Log will go down a treat... and also last case scenario your swtor.exe (retail) log *"Remember to blank out your Login Name if you do post that log.

Message 4 of 42 (118,641 Views)

★★★ Novice

http://i.imgur.com/5aSSO5M.jpg

There is a picture of my folder. I do not have the swotr.exe retail app.

http://i.imgur.com/pVSMrc8.jpg

Heres a pic of what I mean by what i see on the launcher. I've circled it in red.

Where would I find clientsettings.cfg and DXdiag log?

Message 5 of 42 (118,631 Views)

Champion (Retired)

1st image you have only installed the Client, the retail swtor.exe doesn't exist yet as per my guide at the top.

2nd Image very much confirms that you have not quite mastered the first part of the guide and all the things you have to do prior to actually running the Launcher.

Client_Settings.cfg is not going to be your problem here/yet as you clearly have not reached that part.

When you do simply click Windows Key + R and type %appdata% ENTER.

Navigate back to your Appdata, then Local ... scroll down to Swtor.

Again all of this is in the guide above.

Message 6 of 42 (118,579 Views)

Champion (Retired)

@rumbutter Thanks for the kind words; can only hope that my work helps those that have issues, I have used these exact steps on a multitude of systems without any real concerns.

Message 7 of 42 (118,573 Views)

★★★ Novice

ur guide is a very nice thing. for me, i dont get why some ppl have issues with windows 10. ive downloaded it 2 weeks ago and had no problems with swtor.

Message 8 of 42 (118,489 Views)

Hero (Retired)

@DBWoodynz   well it  looks sterling to me   Standard smile have a great day  Standard smile and MTFBWU Wink

Message 9 of 42 (118,372 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Newbie

I didn't have any issues with swtor until I changed the resolution and clicked 'keep changes' then that's when everything went black for me. not sure if I needed to this or not but I've tried so many other 'solutions'. Nothing helped me at all. This didn't help me either. I do believe that it works for a lot of people but I cant seem to understand why It isnt working for me. I've double checked, triple, like 5 times. I followed this guide to the T. I just cant seem to figure out what's wrong. Someone help!!!!!!!!! I'm losing my mind. 

And before anyone asks questions that I most likely can't answer, I haven't been using a laptop or desktop for anything other than job related stuff in years so I dont know much when it comes to opening up these files and knowing exactly what I'm using in my laptop if or even how to find most things game related on here.

Message 10 of 42 (109,331 Views)