(VIDEO) Skill Based Passing & Defensive Coverage Changes in Madden 23!

by EA_Blueberry

Original Post

(VIDEO) Skill Based Passing & Defensive Coverage Changes in Madden 23!

[ Edited ]
Community Manager

Hey, Madden Community.

Madden Content Creator, EricRayWeather, breaks down the skill based passing and defensive coverage changes coming in Madden NFL 23. Let us and the rest of the forum community know what you think about the passing and coverage breakdown by replying below. 

Eric has another complete breakdown of the game you can watch on his channel he promotes at the end of the video. 

Blueberry.png
Message 1 of 13 (4,101 Views)

Re: (VIDEO) Skill Based Passing & Defensive Coverage Changes in Madden 23!

[ Edited ]

I will be honest; I stunk at the skill-based passing when I first started using it. With practice, I am starting to improve. Videos like this really help to get a fill of what you are supposed to be doing.

CCP Hero Banner - Red.png

Message 2 of 13 (4,071 Views)

Community Manager
@NatureBoy2323

Agreed. This is an area I think will require practice but in the end will reap more rewards for a wider skill gap from the competitive level. Even Eric mentioned he thinks it's a great addition once you get some practice in.

It's great offline mode will have an option to keep it disabled in case players want to continue using the standard passing system we've had in our game. Adjusting the sliders is a huge help too. I guess it will just take a little bit of practice to getting used to, but I'm excited!
Blueberry.png
Message 3 of 13 (4,062 Views)

I am excited for this too! It's great that there's an option for players who may not want to use this. Options like this really help a video game become more playable to a lot more people IMO. If there was one thing I would add, if possible, would be a practice mode. This would come in very handy for users to try out the feature and for people like myself that could use the practice mode to get better at it before Madden 23 drops in August.

CCP Hero Banner - Red.png

Message 4 of 13 (4,009 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice

The new skill passing is dope I love it. I can lead passes the way I want and fit them in tighter spaces. And I can back shoulder certain passes. I only use the L2 button for certain passes not all the time. I do recommend to EA making the speed of the ball even faster with defensive players reacting so fast. Also more arc needs to be added to the ball on regular throws even bullet passes. 

Message 5 of 13 (3,831 Views)

Community Manager

@ericedub wrote:

The new skill passing is dope I love it. I can lead passes the way I want and fit them in tighter spaces. And I can back shoulder certain passes. I only use the L2 button for certain passes not all the time. I do recommend to EA making the speed of the ball even faster with defensive players reacting so fast. Also more arc needs to be added to the ball on regular throws even bullet passes. 

Awesome to hear! 

Blueberry.png
Message 6 of 13 (3,764 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice

Been playing the Beta franchise mode on all pro for the last few days. I love where Madden 23 is right now after the past few updates. Only gripe I have is making the ball faster when thrown and more arc on the passes. Also the offensive line needs a tiny bit more tuning. The RB's still aren't blocking and with the pass rush being what it is that is going to be crucial. Other then that I like the game and can't wait for its release in August. I love that people are gonna have to draft offensive lineman in the first round. 

Message 7 of 13 (3,751 Views)

Community Manager
@ericedub

The team has seen feedback from the community on improved blocking. The team has some time before launch day so they will make the necessary adjustments. Standard smile
Blueberry.png
Message 8 of 13 (3,739 Views)

★★ Novice

I Think madden 23 in the best madden since at least the past 10 years(as currently presented)! I believe since madden has add all of NCAA 14

tolls to madden 22/23,they should bring back practice mini games back from madden 11/12(should have never left),and help the casuals and youth they pander to on mut learn

the game and it’s difficulty!Db/wr,oline/dline,halfback/linbackers,etcetc minigame drills were amazing,and would be huge Now! I used to practice/compete against buddies and cpu on how to cover receivers,press receivers,recover,angles,and sharpen my skills make an impact!

Also I really hope EA doesn’t sucker me into buying this game from my beta experience,then turns around and “Nerfs” pass rush,coverage ai,etc etc”! I really hope to be playing a more crisp, sharpened,refined version of the beta(without the glitches)!

customization,I get it Ea removed legends to mut ,so they could charge people to play with them,but there’s really no reason to have removed customization(if only for offline)!I would love to offline relocate a team,design my own jerseys and stadiums again! I think that was really a huge part of the immersion and nostalgia we are missing!

Lastly,The RPG significance to franchise is destroying the way we play franchise!I don’t want players I’m not focused on going to coaches complaining and falling off,because they’re not making enough plays in 6 minute quarters(which I play on),and then falling off or wanting to leave!I want the control to develop my team,and organically allow whatever players to play out how they do! I don’t want the cpu to force me to have to try to do this or that!

If I’m the head coach or owner,I’m supposed to dictate how my scheme,players,team works,but every week I’m being told what to do,my goals,what’s significant to my team etc!I don’t like that!

im predominantly only franchise!Ill never play mut,it’s ridiculous,but if you want extra money out of me just add customization,practice mini games from madden 11/12,and keep improving the game in this direction minus what I’ve said(or make it Dlc),I’ll purchase it!

Message 9 of 13 (3,657 Views)

★★ Novice

Also

some of the ratings for players!If Chase,Parsons etc have remarkable seasons and show true dominance,rate them that way!Jamar Chase beat 99 rated Ramsey for the super bowl win,but Donald didn’t give burrow time to throw the wide open pass!

There’s no way in hell Chase should be rated beneath 93

Lamar Jackson is the most dynamic,electric,man man show in football,how,why has EA nerfed him?There isn’t an edge rusher,linebacker today that could contain him,their aren’t teams that can,yet it’s not reflected on the game!I don’t think a once a generation player like Jackson,should be constrained from naturally being dynamic/electric,by xfactors etc!Jackson is an Xfactor every play naturally!

i hate that players like Lamar Jackson fumble soo much,and don’t in real life being hit!Theres a big difference from Lamar Jackson or Allen and how he/they plays,and Murray,hurts,Rogers,Brady,Wilson,mahomes,Dak,and how they play!Id like it reflected on the game,and not toned down!Theyre supposed to be hard to deal with,hard to contained!

size/weight/speed/power and ratings differentials aren’t what they should be,but they have improved!Id like to see more 3-4 players in the generated drafts,More true game breakers(one of a kind players),in the generated drafts)!

id like to see Cpu account for shortened play throughs,when it comes to stat generating simulating games!

id like to see far better trade logic!Ea cleverly gave fake ratings,so trade logic couldn’t be tested,and the trade logic that was available was a joke!

the relocation jerseys had to be designed by kindergarten students 

I loved that smaller players aren’t stumbling ahead for 3-8 extra yards(like they’re the bus or refrigerator Perry anymore)!

Message 10 of 13 (3,654 Views)

ea-play-promo-splash

What's EA Play?

New name, new look, same great benefits: EA Access and Origin Access are now EA Play.

Get more info on the change here.

ea-help-promo-3

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View more on EA Help