"Connection to Server Timed Out" in Multiplayer menus and in-game

by xXDdevilZXx

Original Post

"Connection to Server Timed Out" in Multiplayer menus and in-game

★★★ Newbie

I got Titanfall 2 on Steam in a recent sale because a couple friends of mine had it and strongly recommended it. I tried playing some multiplayer on my own to adjust to the controls and have discovered a strange series of connection problems. I play on the Dallas data center, which tells me I have about 11-12 ping at any time throughout the day, as I live fairly close in an urban area with good internet. However, my connection to the servers is extremely unstable, and I get sent to the main menu frequently with a nondescript error message that always reads "Error: Connection to Server Timed Out." This happens to me both in multiplayer menus and in multiplayer games. Whenever it happens, usually anywhere from 5-30 minutes spent in menus or in game, the game freezes for approximately 20-30 seconds before I am booted to the main menu with the same error message every time. As of late in attempting to troubleshoot this, I have:

• Confirmed my modem/router's ports are forwarded for Titanfall 2
  • Set Titanfall 2's priority to High in Task Manager
  • Changed to a different data center in game
  • Tried playing the game with absolutely no other programs active that might drain on my internet connection

Additionally, I have not noticed this being any issue with game performance, as the game runs at 60 fps on high settings and I receive no stuttering or input lag in game. My computer uses an AMD FX-6300 Six-Core Processor (3.50 GHz), 16.0 GB of installed RAM(If I remember correctly 12.0 GB usable RAM), and an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER graphics card. Attached is a fresh DxDiag for y'all to look at if necessary. Any help is appreciated.

Message 1 of 4 (389 Views)

Re: "Connection to Server Timed Out" in Multiplayer menus and in-game

Community Manager

Hi @xXDdevilZXx

Have you had the chance to try setting a different DNS in Windows to see if that helps at all? I've seen some cases where using a different DNS can help with issues like this. 

You can update the DNS Settings through the Windows TCP/IP Settings. For more information on how to get there check out the Microsoft Support website. If you choose the Manual option you can enter a DNS of your choosing. I usually recommend the public Google DNS (Primary DNS: 8.8.8.8; Secondary DNS: 8.8.4.4), but if there's a different DNS you would prefer using that's OK as well. 

Let me know how that goes when you've got the chance. Thanks!

/Kent

Kent.png
Message 2 of 4 (335 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Hey @EA_Kent,

Thanks for responding to my question. I set my DNS settings to the public Google DNS like you'd recommended and tested it for a few matches, but unfortunately I'm still having the issue of disconnecting partway into matches or in the multiplayer menu. It did not seem to change how long I could actually play before I was disconnected, and I still receive the same error message as I have been getting when I do disconnect. Thanks anyways for the help, and any further assistance is still very appreciated.

Message 3 of 4 (325 Views)

Community Manager

@xXDdevilZXx 

Thanks for giving that a shot. 

Would you mind running a UO Trace so we can take a look? That should give us a look at the connection between your home network and the servers, so if something is happening in between we may be able to spot it. 

For more information on how to run the test check out the EA Help website. Once you have the test results please send them to me in a direct message. Thanks!

/Kent

Kent.png
Message 4 of 4 (319 Views)