Re: Titanfall 2 for Steam not launching (Origin says it's not installed)

by cLokki

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Titanfall 2 for Steam not launching (Origin says it's not installed)

★★★★★ Novice

I got TTF2 for Steam, but I can't launch it as Origin says it is not installed. I have reinstalled the game several times through both Steam and Origin (though Origin just opens Steam and installs through Steam instead).
My PC has a SSD as the C: drive, and my games and other data are on D: and E: which are HDs.

I have installed TTF2 on E: and I have tried pretty much everything I could find on Google regarding Origin not finding the game. Both Origin and the game have been reinstalled multiple times. I have internet speeds that allow for downloading and installing the game in under 1hr, so I am willing to try suggestions that involve re-downloading it again.

I have tried installing Origin and the game on separate drives (Origin on D and the game on E), I have tried both on the same drive (E), moving the Origin installs folder to the steam library, and also tried creating a steam library inside the Origin default games install directory. To no avail. Nothing I do gets Origin to acknowledge the game is installed. I also can't use the "Locate Game" option for TTF2 because it doesn't have that option... (unlike BF4, which is a game I have on Origin and tested installing and locating just to be sure, and it works fine).

I am at a loss, I have spent the whole Saturday (06/20) trying different things and I can't seem to get this sorted (and most of my Sunday morning now). I have seen some people having similar issues, but not a lot of people, and their fixes don't work for me (not that they seemed to know exactly what worked for them either...). I just hope I'm not some edge case.

So well, here I am, waiting now for an official response from you guys to see if there's anything else I can try to fix this problem. 

By the way, my PC specs are:
CPU: Intel Core i5 3570k (3.4Ghz, no OC currently)
MB: Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe
RAM: 12Gb (3x4Gb sticks DDR3 - Corsair PC3-12800)
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX970
Storage:
- 1x Samsung EVO 850 120Gb (Drive C:, Windows 10 Pro v1909 Build 18363.900)
- 2x Western Digital WD10EZEX 1 Tb (Storage only)

Message 1 of 43 (73,893 Views)

Accepted Solution

★★★★★ Novice

Okay, good news, finally, I got the game running, and it was the simplest thing. I closed both Origin and Steam and then ran the Origin client as administrator (I didn't set it in the executable properties, I just right-clicked it and chose the option). Makes me wonder why I didn't think of this earlier, but what prompted me to do it was a line in the logs that mentioned Origin couldn't elevate a process because UAC prevented it... Let's hope this is all we need to do, and that no other issues show up.

View in thread

Message 9 of 43 (73,440 Views)

All Replies

★★★★★ Newbie
@RPKn_69 Have you found a solution yet i have the exactly same problem
Message 2 of 43 (73,758 Views)

★★★★★ Novice
@cLokki Nope, not yet, still waiting for a response... I've run out of ideas really, I can't think of anything else to try
Message 3 of 43 (73,750 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

Download the game normally and launch from origin library, it should not launch and you should be able to download it again from the library (not full download just finishing).

Click on the gear in the origin library and repair the game, it will automatically repair with steam wait and launch from steam library (not desktop icon) wait a few seconds if its not launching repeat launching from steam library until it will start, possible that you will have to allow accessing firewal again, do so.

I don't know exactly what the problem is here but i guess the communication between steam and origin is incomplete or just bad.

When leaving the game origin begins to struggle to me kinda logout and telling me sign in is not available at the moment or origin is just closing completely.

Here is an overview of what you can do:

- Download again from origin lib. just like i said already

- Repair

- Launch from steam/origin until it will start

- if origin is telling you again it is not installed, reinstall (not complete like said) and repair again

- you can ALSO try to launch as admin or with the .exe in the folder

Keep in mind that origin and steam should not be closed while trying to run the game or while it is running in case you have both versions.

Wondering if other games like BF1 cause the same problem, i haven't tested yet.

Message 4 of 43 (73,671 Views)

★★★★★ Novice
@Machlath Thanks for the suggestion, I'm giving this a shot. I just started downloading it now.

So, the current attempt is: game was uninstalled, I'm running Steam and Origin, I clicked Download in Origin and it opened up a Steam prompt asking me where to install it, and it is downloading now. I'll wait until it's done and follow the rest of your suggestion, then I'll reply when finished with the results.
Message 5 of 43 (73,635 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

Welp, I can't get to the repair step. Like previous attempts, downloading it through Origin doesn't seem to make it acknowledge the existence of the game, so I never get a button to "Repair", I'm just stuck with "Download", which when clicked makes Steam try to launch it, which in turn gets Origin to bring up: "The game Titanfall® 2 Deluxe Edition does not appear to be installed. Please install it or try relaunching the game."

Even with the game being there, I only get 4 options when clicking the gear symbol: Download, Remove from Favorites, Game Properties, Hide. The Game Properties option only has 2 tabs, the first has an epilepsy warning and a checkbox for the Origin overlay; the second tab has the cloud save options (a checkbox to toggle them, and a grayed out button to restore saves).

I tried repeatedly launching the game from Steam like you said in the hopes that maybe something will change somehow but that doesn't seem to work either.

Message 6 of 43 (73,617 Views)

★★★ Newbie
@RPKn_69 here I am with the same problem
Message 7 of 43 (73,463 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

So, a lot of people (mostly on steam) seem to suggest using the "Locate Game" feature, but in my case (and I believe everyone here) this is NOT an option. The button simply isn't there unfortunately, but I really wish it was. There seems to be no "easy" way to tell Origin where the game is. My game is stuck in the "Download" state, with no options beyond setting up cloud saves, favoriting/unfav, hide, and download.

Having said that, I have resorted to digging around Origin's files and folders to figure out if there is a way to force it to locate the game outside the application interface.

So far I have found out that, after installing, regular Origin games (like the Battlefield 4 I have) create entries in the Windows Registry (press "Windows key+R" and type "regedit") which contain data such as their name and installation folders, among other types of information. Titanfall 2 didn't create one such entry, not only that, it creates an entry with the Steam application ID (ID:1237970, it's located in the same group of entries that regular Steam games use (which makes sense to be fair). I couldn't find a Titanfall 2 entry in anything related to Origin in the registry, but I'm not sure this is supposed to be like that since Steam handles the installation, maybe if someone who got the game to run properly could test this out and tells us what they find.

I also checked the %appdata% folders looking Origin log files and found out 2 logs that shed some light into what happens behind the curtains, the log files are located at:
1 - EALink log: %AppData%\Local\Origin\EALink\EALink_Log.txt
2 - (Origin) Client Log: %AppData%\Local\Origin\Logs\Client_Log.txt

The first log seems to show how Origin calls the EALink application with some parameters (Steam client and game app ID), and seems to be successful (maybe it's just an online component). It does seem to manage account linking or somesuch.
The second log shows Origin performing a download request for the game, but with missing name parameters (it just says "Unidentified Game"), but I don't know if this is on purpose (since Origin seems to refer to TTF2 by its app ID), and it seems to forward the download request to Steam (which had already downloaded the game beforehand). During the launch process, there is an "RTPFlow:attemptGameLaunch" step which comes up with an error which prompts Origin to display a dialog (which I believe is the error window with the "game not installed" message). The error it reports is "R2P error", and I tried googling that up but I couldn't find anything useful. I guess that's probably too internal, and something that only EA support or someone of the sort could answer.

Anyways, I attached screenshots of both logs below, and I'll keep digging around for a fix. I'll post again if I find anything interesting or useful.

Message 8 of 43 (73,382 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

Okay, good news, finally, I got the game running, and it was the simplest thing. I closed both Origin and Steam and then ran the Origin client as administrator (I didn't set it in the executable properties, I just right-clicked it and chose the option). Makes me wonder why I didn't think of this earlier, but what prompted me to do it was a line in the logs that mentioned Origin couldn't elevate a process because UAC prevented it... Let's hope this is all we need to do, and that no other issues show up.

Message 9 of 43 (73,441 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

Okay, bad news is someone on Steam I talked to previously, who had the same issue, tried this fix and it did NOT work for them. Guys, if anyone else manages to fix it by running Origin as administrator, please report it here, and tell us what you did to get it working.

I'll summarize my current setup here so others can try as well:

After all the attempts I tried, I uninstalled both TTF2 and Origin, installed Origin itself on drive E, and in the settings, I pointed the Library Location settings to the same library I used for Steam to download TTF2 (here, in my case: E:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common). Then I had Origin open and cliked the Download button, which opened Steam and downloaded the game as usual.

After it all finished, I closed both Steam and Origin up and ran only Origin as administrator (specially since Steam throws a popup telling you that running it as admin isn't recommended). Then I tried clicking the Download button in the Origin library and it opened Steam, and a few seconds later, the game opened up as well. I did get a prompt for firewall permissions and all that, but not the account linking prompt some say we get (maybe I linked my account in the past, idk, both my accounts are rather old by now, I don't remember).

Anyways, that's it, let's hope this works for everyone.

Message 10 of 43 (73,365 Views)