Titanfall 2 crashes after trying to edit video settings

by CannibalMeal88

Original Post

Titanfall 2 crashes after trying to edit video settings

★★★ Newbie

Product: Titanfall 2
Platform:PC
Summarize your bug Can't play in Full Screen or change video settings in-game
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Start the game on PC and try to change the video settings
What happens when the bug occurs? The game launches normally in a windowed mode and runs fine, but as soon as I click the button to change video settings, the game immediately closes and Origin opens.
What do you expect to see? I expect the game to allow me to change the video settings without a hitch like it did before the latest patch and release of the "Live Fire" DLC.

I understand that there are bound to be bugs with the release of a new patch/DLC but this is a little ridiculous.  The game runs perfectly fine in all aspects except for that it's stuck in windowed mode due to me unable to change the video settings.  The second I click on the button to change my video settings the game closes instantaneously and Origin opens for whatever reason.

My PC specs are:

CPU: Intel Core i7-5930k 3.5GHz 6-Core

Motherboard: ASRock X99 Extreme4 ATX LGA2011-3

GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti

RAM: 32Gb DDR5 Ram

Message 1 of 7 (5,483 Views)

Re: Titanfall 2 crashes after trying to edit video settings

[ Edited ]
Community Manager

@CannibalMeal88 Thanks for the detailed post.  Can you try wiping your settings file to restart?

If you navigate to My Documents\Respawn\Titanfall2\ocal you'll see the videoconfig.txt file. Be sure to make a backup of this to another location. Then delete the file from its original location then start again. It should start up the game as normal using default fullscreen details.

Please let us know how you're getting on. 

David.png
Stay and Play.png
Message 2 of 7 (5,386 Views)

★★ Novice

I have this issue too and have not been able to resolve it. So far I have tried deleting the videoconfig file, repairing the game, and reinstalling it. 

Message 3 of 7 (5,332 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

Using that video settings txt file You could manualy change your settings from there. Be careful though cuz you can mess up a lot there. Idk how much you know about coding but 0's usually mean no and 1's mean yes. I changed my windowed settings from there to one (I have your same problem). You can change other stuff too but thats very risky.

Message 4 of 7 (5,320 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Very annoying.Game has been working very well and now it is allmost unplayable. Only able to play in windowed mode and my fps is not solid anymore. Tryed to delete config.txt, no help. 

i5 2600K

R9 390 MSI

Message 5 of 7 (5,182 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I you have a nvidia gpu, you could always just edit the video settings from Geforce Experience. it's what I had to do.

Message 6 of 7 (3,934 Views)

★★ Novice

If you still have this problem, i've found for AMD gpus that flipping GPU scaling on/off seems to fix the problem

Message 7 of 7 (3,347 Views)