Titanfall 2 Multiplayer under Linux

by Smith_Littlewood

Original Post

Titanfall 2 Multiplayer under Linux

★★★★★ Apprentice

I do not seem to be able to launch Multiplayer under Linux, was it a thing that is still waiting to be resolved or Multiplayer was never intended for Linux?

Message 1 of 8 (3,357 Views)

Re: Titanfall 2 Multiplayer under Linux

EA DICE Team
Hey, @Smith_Littlewood  Titanfall 2 has been released for PC and is mainly aimed at PC while you can get it to work on Linux or Mac it's not supported on those platforms. So features as playing on Multi-player or start the game may not be working. 

/Atic
Message 2 of 8 (3,348 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

@EA_Atic Thanks for your reply.

I used to play in Windows and had been in the game for some 300 hours. I switched away from Windows about a year ago and had no intention to switch it back.

I really doubt I will see the light of the day where Multi-player will be playable in Linux in my lifetime. And I really hope that EA one day would recognize the Linux Community and could make most of their game compatible with Linux, too, with my finger cross.

😢😢😢😢😢

Message 3 of 8 (3,344 Views)

★★★ Novice

Darn, I have the same issue. I hope this will happen someday Frown(

Message 4 of 8 (3,238 Views)

★★★ Novice

Titanfall 2 Multiplayer works perfectly (legitimately flawlessly) in linux now. 

Message 5 of 8 (2,837 Views)

★★★ Novice
@Smith_Littlewood "I really doubt I will see the light of the day where Multi-player will be playable in Linux in my lifetime. And I really hope that EA one day would recognize the Linux Community and could make most of their game compatible with Linux, too, with my finger cross."

- guess you were wrong about the "never seeing multiplayer work in your lifetime" part. Titanfall 2 multiplayer is working flawlessly on Linux as of wine version 4.19. It's my most played game by far and after i beat the campaign once I literally only play the multiplayer. I was actually shocked to find posts like this where it didn't use to work, because I've always had it work flawlessly but I didn't start playing until after Wine 4.19
Message 6 of 8 (2,836 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

@gardotd426,thank you for the info. At the time I write this, Multiplayer in Titanfall2 does not work in Linux. Last time I checked with WineHQ for Titanfall2, it was rated Garbage (It is still). I am glad to hear that Wine 4.19 can now play Titanfall2 Multiplayer.

However, a recent event on BF5 that ban Linux players who only use DXVK and Wine with no cheat were called cheaters by EA. I understand Titanfall2 system and BF5 are different, which probably will run smooth in it and would not be wrongly accused as cheater using wine in Titanfall2, but I felt that I cannot accept EA behaviour in BF5. Until EA can remedies Linux users situation, I will probably not going to use EA software at all.

Message 7 of 8 (2,810 Views)

★★★ Novice

Not that it's any of my business, but I think if you would really want to send a message is to actually play it, and show that there are enough Linux users out there to justify developing anticheats that cover Linux well. I think that the future is going to have to be local installation for AAA multiplayer games particularly FPS that often rely so much on local memory storage, and client side hit detection for lag compensation.

My understanding with the issue is the Wine + DXVK combo is that client-side anticheat isn't able to go past the virtual machine, while your local machine still has access to the games memory, making client side detection all but impossible. Things like screenshots can only be taken off the virtual machine not necessarily your actual screen. Your HWID can be changed or hidden isn't real so it makes it hard to identify you if they ban your account. I think at this point in the future they are going to have to develop games that locally support Linux, which is what Valve (They block Wine + DXVK, but not a full ban) has done with CSGO and number of it's other titles. 

One thing to note it was just a couple people that reported being banned from BFV for using wine. About 9 months ago there was guy on reddit saying the same thing about being banned from BFV I won't go into details about what he did, but tldr he modified game files and coincidentally had chose to install series of tools that can be used for an Aimbot and activate them in game. He also had a youtube channel, that he has since taken down that certainly seemed to confirm these suspicions. So I would take it with a grain of salt. 

Message 8 of 8 (2,776 Views)