★★★★ Novice

Hello, here are my specs:

Intel i7-5820k 6-core CPU @ 4.0 GHz

32 GB DDR4 RAM

GTX 970 4GB GPU

Corsair 750W PSU

Windows 10 Pro

150 MBit XFinity Down/20 Mb Up

When the error occurs, I get a gray screen, followed by both monitors getting signal back with the following error message:

Direct X Error

DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_RESET ("The device failed due to a badly formed command. This is a run-time issue; the application should destroy and recreate the device.") GPU: "NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970", Driver: 37570

Origin is totally blacked out, and I have to close it with Task Manager because it won't close itself (says that Titanfall 2 is still running, it's trying to close too early.)

This happens no matter what graphics settings I use (even on Low.) It may not occur when playing in windowed, haven't had a chance to check since you guys are getting DDoSed at the moment.

Windows EventViewer has the following thing to say: 

Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered.

Here are the steps I've taken to try and solve the problem:

1. Doing a clean install of the latest drivers (currently 375.70.)

2. Down-clocking my GPU.

3. Verifying the Titanfall 2 install.

4. Changing my graphics settings.

5. Disabling my second monitor.

6. Turning off Origin's in-game overlay

7. Trying a different GTX 970 (I have multiple workstations at home.)

8. Trying it on a different PC with similar specs.

None of these resulted in a difference at all. Attached is a copy of my DxDiag.txt. 

Message 1 of 14 (62,561 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: [PC] DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_RESET every 10 or so minutes

★★★★ Novice

I believe I have found the solution to this problem (or so it seems so far.)

If you have an NVIDIA card, try opening the NVIDIA control panel and turning on debug mode. (Do this by opening the NVIDIA Control Panel, go to Help -> and check Debug Mode.) This will ignore the manufacturer's overclock settings and use the factory default stock clock. While it seems silly that this would make a difference when EVGA Precision X didn't, somehow it has been working without issue for the past few days. Of course, due to the random nature of this bug, it could easily just be chance that it hasn't crashed or caused any issues thus far.

I am not the only person that this has helped. However, it may not work for you.

View in thread

Message 6 of 14 (67,711 Views)

All Replies

★★★★ Novice

I'd like a response since EA Support has not responded to me in any capacity, despite following all of the rules and suggestions. So... bump?

Message 2 of 14 (62,465 Views)

Community Manager

@Radiocage

Are you using a custom DPI scaling setting? http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/windows-and-office/get-a-better-view-in-windows-7-by-adjusting-dpi-...

Please try the following troubleshooting steps and report your results here, thanks.

• Perform a clean video driver setup but this time deselect optional components such as the audio, GeForce Experience and the 3D components
  • Disconnect your second monitor from your PC
  • Perform a clean boot to prevent evga precision (and possibly other problematic items) from running
  • Run SFC to help prevent kernal error (logged in your Dxdiag) - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833
barry.png
Message 3 of 14 (62,443 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

No.

The issue still happens after the latest update, though I had been playing for a few days without issue.

1. No change.

2. No change.

3. No change.

4. SFC completed with no errors.

I did another clean reinstall of drivers. I was able to play for longer without a crash, but the crash still happened. 

Message 4 of 14 (62,424 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

EA - I followed every suggestion that other users are saying are solutions, and your own suggestions.. no go. I actually reinstalled Windows 10 x64, Enterprise to see if some other application/configuration had been an issue.. and the same thing is persisting, even with all the suggestions implemented post-reinstall of Windows 10. 

1. Installed Windows 10

2. Installed all Windows updates (and ensured latest drivers for BIOS/MOBO/USB and all other system devices and all hardware are installed and updated.

3. Went to nVidia.com, got the latest drivers and installed for video card.

4. Downloaded and installed Origin/Titanfall 2. 

5. Disabled Origin notifications, sounds, all in-game content, etc.

6. Started Titanfall 2, crash after 5-6 games. Sometimes on the first game after a reboot.

NO settings in either Windows 10 or TitanFall 2 were modified.. using default graphics settings for TitanFall 2. No other applications or tweaks installed or applied in Windows 10 (aside from Logitech Gaming Software). Vanilla install.

Not sure if this helps, as the error may be a different underlying issue.. and maybe other people with the issue could post this info as well in case it is a peripheral device issue, but I have the following input devices:

Logitech G900 Chaos Spectrum mouse

Logitech G710+ Keyboard

and also Logitech Gaming Software v. 8.88

Please fix!

Message 5 of 14 (62,408 Views)

★★★★ Novice

I believe I have found the solution to this problem (or so it seems so far.)

If you have an NVIDIA card, try opening the NVIDIA control panel and turning on debug mode. (Do this by opening the NVIDIA Control Panel, go to Help -> and check Debug Mode.) This will ignore the manufacturer's overclock settings and use the factory default stock clock. While it seems silly that this would make a difference when EVGA Precision X didn't, somehow it has been working without issue for the past few days. Of course, due to the random nature of this bug, it could easily just be chance that it hasn't crashed or caused any issues thus far.

I am not the only person that this has helped. However, it may not work for you.

Message 6 of 14 (67,712 Views)

★★★ Novice

I started having this issue after the last update and checking Debug mode in the nVidia control panel has also solved it for me. You have to check this every time before jumping into the game though. But, while playing in debug mode I haven't had any issues. Thanks.

Message 7 of 14 (61,749 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

Just wanted to point out one thing I encountered. I could not get the Nvidia control panel to come up on my PC after ugrading to windows 10, I finally got it to load on my computer by going back to an older version of the Nvida drivers v 375.86. That package would install and have the NCP in it.  After I installation I was able to turn on Debug mode and I was able to play 2 matches in a row, where I couldn't before.
Thank you for posting your solution, it saved my sanity!

Message 8 of 14 (59,678 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

Disregard. 

Message 9 of 14 (51,815 Views)

★★★ Newbie

DrGreatJob, that did the trick for me, no more DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_RESET  Thanks!

Message 10 of 14 (48,515 Views)