Map Quality

by Dsyphus

Original Post

Map Quality

★★★★ Novice

From playing Titanfall to Titanfall 2 you can notice a significant decrease the quality of maps. 

1. The verticality seems to have been almost removed. Considering this is a game about parkour and war, the parkour seems to be almost dumbed down for lack of a better word.

2. The wallrunning seems like it has been thrown together instead of having some actually time and thought put into it. If you don't know how to bunny hop (slide hop) its almost impossible to maintain speed from one side of the map to the other. On every map it seems like the ceilings are just a little to low or the walls are just to far apart, and often times seems like there just isnt a wall to jump to.

3. Open space its another issue I've found. now this one is as big a deal to me but it does contribute to the wallrunning issue. it really seems like on some maps the designers just didn't know what to do with an area, so they left it empty (to be like a titan battling area). Now if you end up in one of these open areas without a titan, your entirely without cover, nothing to run on for a speedy escape. So again if you cant bunny hop (even if you can) you have to make yourself a huge easy target just to get to even the smallest amount of cover.

Each Map

Complex - When it comes to Pilot gam play Complex isn't to bad. If mantling was a little faster this map would be quite fine for Pilots. But when it comes to Titan gameplay, the map is just far to narrow for 5 titans. you're constantly getting stuck on other titans pinned to walls from cramped lanes, shots are being blocked. Just as a map for titans it has failed.

Crash Site - This. Map. Is. *. Now that we have that out of the way we can get onto why. This map has horrible walls for running on, you cant bunny hop due to the rigid ground. Wallrunning on this map is brutal, most of the walls are rigid making it hard to get a smooth run, and on the walls that are smooth seem to have no real destination either by just ending and having no wall to chain too, or having a wall to far to jump to. Its very difficult to push forward against a defensive team due to it being so hard to quickly get to cover. As for titans, the map is just super difficult to navigate. And i don't mean walking forward and turning corners, I'm talking about combat navigation, trying to walk backwards into cover only to get caught on a rock, or random pieces of debris.

Forwardbase Kodai - This map had so much potential based on the single player. but is seems like it just fell short. this map doesn't really have any major issues other than lacking in walls to run on. speed in this map is pretty much just titans and bunny hops, there is no visible paths for wall running, it honestly seems like a CoD map more then a Titanfall map.

Black Water Canal - This is one of the better maps in the game. no real issues with is other than a bit of the numbered stuff at the top of the post. Verticalliy is pretty much non existent in this map. Below the bridge is basically only for titans, and above is just the short tower. its also quite difficult if not impossible to wall run all the way around the map.

Homestead - This map, just feels so empty, wall running is basically limited to the middle tower. game modes like bounty hunt are super difficult if you don't have a titan to protect you since its so open. this really isn't a good map. When this map shows up in the loading screen it feels like you just got a test back you know you didn't do well on.

Boomtown - Similar to Black Water Canal, this map isn't to bad it just seems lacking in verticallity. Like all the maps, its almost impossible to wall run all the way around. (starting to think this was just a poor design choice). But compared to all the other maps in Titanfall 2, this one is near the top.

Exoplanet - The damn sun is a pretty annoying disadvantage to the team facing it, the rocky walls are a pain to run on. this map is just OK. its nothing special, i don't enjoy playing on it, but im not mad when i do play on it. this map is just OK, nothing much to say about it that hasn't already been listed at the top.

Eden - Oh Eden, you beautiful sight. This map is defiantly the best map in the game (for me at least) it has plenty of walls to run on, only lacking in flow between the walls which is quite sad since this is the best map. As a pilot this map has plenty of walls and cover to protect from titans, plenty of smaller areas for nice 1v1 pilot duels. For titans the lanes are nice (maybe not so much the middle lane) but there is good cover for flanking and straight pushing.

Drydock - this map is alright, a little better than exoplanet but still not fantastic. The wall running like all the others could do with better flow, getting around as a pilot seems limited to the middle, which is fine since its nicely split into smaller lanes for pilots. Once again not much to say about this map that hasn't been said at the top.

Summary

The maps in Titanfall 2 seem like the took a significant dive compared to the first game. whether it was new map designer or just poor design choices. I just hope that someday the maps get some updates to fix these issues. Frankly I'm fine with the current maps staying (except crash site. * crash site) as long as the new maps (DLC or Free) are of higher quality. These are mostly personal complaints, but i know many people have a similar view, either from talking with people in-game or in streams.

Message 1 of 1 (222 Views)