Initial Download

by vithastral

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Initial Download

★★★ Newbie

I bought the disk so I wouldn't be adding to my console memory, but from the get go this game requires a 43 gigabite update? Not the end of the world but it'd be nice to keep as much of the game information on the disk; or can the disk just not hold an entire game anymore or is this EA taking shortcuts? I'd just like to understand cause if this keeps up I'm going to have to buy the 1TB console. It just seems like more and more developers are doing this huge download for brand new games even with a disk.

Message 1 of 2 (230 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Initial Download

[ Edited ]
Community Manager

@vithastral All games install nowadays and need to be installed. This isn't exclusive to EA. 

Perhaps there will be some exceptions I'm unaware of, but nowadays the discs are used to store the initial data for install and to authenticate ownership when you launch the game. However all games need to be installed and data is streamed/loaded from the Hard Drive when folks play. 

I don't have specifics on disc vs drive read speeds, but my understanding is that games are designed nowadays with drive asset streaming/loading in mind, rather than having a bottleneck of disc read speed. 

David.png
Stay and Play.png

View in thread

Message 2 of 2 (269 Views)

All Replies

Re: Initial Download

[ Edited ]
Community Manager

@vithastral All games install nowadays and need to be installed. This isn't exclusive to EA. 

Perhaps there will be some exceptions I'm unaware of, but nowadays the discs are used to store the initial data for install and to authenticate ownership when you launch the game. However all games need to be installed and data is streamed/loaded from the Hard Drive when folks play. 

I don't have specifics on disc vs drive read speeds, but my understanding is that games are designed nowadays with drive asset streaming/loading in mind, rather than having a bottleneck of disc read speed. 

David.png
Stay and Play.png
Message 2 of 2 (270 Views)